Re: [ona-prac] ONA Data collection tools

  • Alistair Gibbons
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 22, 2009
      one that we found interesting was the 'Reviewed By' and 'Approved By'
      lists on peer reviewed documents at a Law practice (so, in answer to
      your question Matt, option (2).. we created an automated agent to
      'mine the LAN drive, and also picked up legacy hard-copy submissions
      etc.)

      Review/Approval lists might not be as interesting in other contexts,
      but for this particular firm, reviewers/approvers were nominated by
      the counsel responsible for drafting the submission or piece of
      advice).
      We discovered this as a way for shedding light on trusted
      relationships from 'shortcutting' contacts for teh originators of the
      docs.

      Not from personal experience, but I've heard of project plans being
      used as source of relationship links.
      I suspect that Dave would advocate narrative, and Verna VNA input
      data, as potential sources of trusted relationships. I haven't tried
      these approaches either, but they sound every bit (or even more so)
      than mining email lists.

      Regards,

      Alistair

      2009/1/22 Matt Moore <laalgadger@...>:
      > Hi,
      >
      > There are quite a few analytic tools out there (e.g. InFlow, UCINet,
      > NetDraw, etc).
      >
      > What about ONA data collection tools? Which presumably fall under two
      > headings:
      > - Manually completed survey tools;
      > - Automated tools that mine email, social network software, etc.
      >
      > If there is already a list somewhere then please point me towards that.
      >
      > Any help much appreciated.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Matt Moore

    • Cai Kjaer
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 22, 2009

        Matt,

        There is a good list in Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_network_analysis_software

        I think our tool www.onasurveys.com as well as Netgenie are the only two commercially available ONA Survey tools. I know some universities have their own tool which are for internal research purposes and of course Rob Cross has his tool which is available for the ONA Roundtable members. Then there is of course also Eva Schiffer’s NetMap Tool which is great as a facilitative tool (doesn’t require IT).

        The list on KM4Dev’s wiki might also be helpful - http://www.km4dev.org/wiki/index.php/Social_Network_Analysis

        I hope this helps.

        Kind regards

        Cai

        ______________________________
        Cai Kjaer

        Partner

        Optimice Pty Ltd

        Email: cai.kjaer@...

        Phone: +61 411 569 694

        Web: www.optimice.com.au / www.onasurveys.com

      • Matt Moore
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 22, 2009
          Cai,

          Thanks for the links - and the NetGenie / ONA Surveys refs.Most of the tools described in the wikis do visualisation and/or analysis - rather than front-end data gathering.

          I am aware that Trampoline have an email analysis tool and I suspect there may be others out there.

          Cheers,

          Matt

          I think our tool www.onasurveys. com as well as Netgenie are the only two commercially available ONA Survey tools. I know some universities have their own tool which are for internal research purposes and of course Rob Cross has his tool which is available for the ONA Roundtable members. Then there is of course also Eva Schiffer’s NetMap Tool which is great as a facilitative tool (doesn’t require IT).

          The list on KM4Dev’s wiki might also be helpful - http://www.km4dev. org/wiki/ index.php/ Social_Network_ Analysis

          I hope this helps.

          Kind regards

          Cai

          ____________ _________ _________
          Cai Kjaer

          Partner

          Optimice Pty Ltd

          Email: cai.kjaer@optimice. com.au

          Phone: +61 411 569 694

          Web: www.optimice. com.au / www.onasurveys. com

        • Lee Romero
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 22, 2009
            Hi Matt - A few others I know of (I don't have experience with any of
            them) that do some type of automated analysis are:

            ConnectBeam - http://www.connectbeam.com/
            ActiveNet - http://www.tacit.com/products/activenet/technology.html
            Recommind - http://www.recommind.com/
            Inquira - http://www.inquira.com/

            Not sure if those might be useful for you, but hopefully so.

            Regards
            Lee Romero
            http://blog.leeromero.org/

            2009/1/22 Matt Moore <laalgadger@...>:
            > Cai,
            >
            > Thanks for the links - and the NetGenie / ONA Surveys refs.Most of the tools
            > described in the wikis do visualisation and/or analysis - rather than
            > front-end data gathering.
            >
            > I am aware that Trampoline have an email analysis tool and I suspect there
            > may be others out there.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > Matt

          • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 23, 2009

              Hi Matt –

              What about ONA data collection tools?”

              Thanks for your question and thanks to others for your replies.

              For basic graphs and to look only at the structure of a network, a one-off data collection is okay. Recall, with conventional network analysis there really is little/no opportunity for business optimization or improvement.

              However, for authentic value network analysis for business optimization and performance improvements, ‘data collection’ deserves a lot more attention and careful thought. A lifecycle and management approach is required. The data activities are central to achieving favorable business outcomes and perpetual improvements with network analysis.

              First, it is critical to ask what improvements and outcome you are pursuing with network analysis. These must lead the ‘data collection’ activity. In virtually all cases where network analysis delivers dramatic business performance, it’s the intangible exchanges and visualizations that deliver the early breakthroughs.

              Furthermore, effective network analysis is an ongoing and dynamic activity. It is critical to have a data architecture and seamless lifecycle (living networks) approach to maintain the flow and integrity of network data. Network data are an extraordinarily valuable organization asset and must be treated as such.

              Today VNA Professional Edition achieves mastery of enterprise network data collection, storage, sharing, retrieval, security, backup and syndication.  Briefly here are some fine points of the current VNA data collection and management offering and capabilities –

              1.    Net-Mat offering to capture intangibles;

              2.    Comprehensive survey capability built-in;

              3.    Thorough pre-made Excel worksheet templates;

              4.    Robust SaaS network data file management and security;

              5.    Patent-pending data model and value network data architecture;

              6.    Open, callable network data APIs for value network mashups and integration;

              7.    Import and export of network data to/from ERP and popular visualization applications;

              8.    Complete enterprise value network integration (VNI), backbone blade server, dashboards and flow monitors.

              In addition, VNA Professional Edition works with large public data sets (I-Metrix) from common data brokers like http://www.edgar-online.com/ and furnishes a standard XBRL data model for portability.

              Also, VNA Group Edition allows instant visualization, analysis and optimization of multiple networks. This capability achieves ‘One Touch’ mastery of entire business network ecosystems.

              Often, for business improvement with network analysis, socializing a network narrative vis-à-vis network maps is among the first, most important steps. Data collection per se for this activity is conducted with Net-Mat. See:

              http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/224351

              As sophistication, network fluency and value network maturity develop and flourish, the data collection activity grows in importance and breadth. The VNA data architecture is designed for the value roadmap and the complete lifecycle management of enterprise value networks and business ecosystems. See:

              http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/222265

              Opps, at the limit for a discussion post. Just one last point. To get started with data collection for value network analysis, follow the sage advice of Dr. L. Lee and Nike, “Just do it!”

              Cheers,

              -j

              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 23, 2009

                Hi John I have no doubt that value network analysis is a powerful methodology – in fact I have just recommended that a VNA is the way to go for a major client.  However I must take issue with your statement “Recall, with conventional network analysis there really is little/no opportunity for business optimization or improvement” because it simply is not true.  It depends entirely on the questions asked, the proxies used, and the data structure.

                Take a look at this post http://www.durantlaw.info/Dollars+or+Links which used “conventional network analysis” techniques.  It exposed many opportunities for business improvement in a billion dollar business.    There are plenty of other examples on my website.

                My point is VNA is a valuable and useful method that produces good results, but it is not the only way, nor is it superior (or inferior) to other network analysis methods.  It comes down to the right tool for the job at hand.

                Regards

                Graham

                Graham Durant-Law

                Knowledge Matters

                Mobile: 0408 975 795

                E-Mail:  graham@...

                Web:    www.durantlaw.info

                The content of this e-mail and any attachments may be privileged, in confidence or sensitive.   Any unauthorised use is expressly prohibited.   If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender, disregard, and delete the e-mail. This e-mail may be corrupted or interfered with.   No warranty is made that this e-mail and its contents are free from computer viruses or other defects.

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 23, 2009

                  Hi Graham –

                  Thanks for your remarks. Now I know what it feels like to be taken out of context! It is important to take my comment in the full context it was intended, e.g., “…it is critical to ask what improvements and outcome you are pursuing with network analysis.” This is the specific context.

                  Take popular, ‘conventional’ network analysis applications like Pajek, UCINet or Network WorkBench. Unlike VNA Professional Edition (VNA/PE) none were designed from the bottom-up for business performance improvement, productivity growth and innovation for business, organizations, the environment and civil society.

                  Thus, “…with conventional network analysis there really is little/no opportunity for business optimization or improvement.” This does not mean these tools, in the hands of a highly skilled analysts, could not be used productively in business. In fact, its why the VNA/PE interface and APIs exports data for import by these powerful analysis tools for research and development activities.

                  However, when it comes to rapid, high-impact network analysis for business performance improvements, most business wants to know what time it is -- not build the proverbial a watch factory. Thus, VNA/PE was built from the bottom-up with the business users in mind. That’s all. It is a normal, predictable, welcome and overdue advancement of network analysis for business.

                  Finally, if VNA/PE allows business, ‘…to see a little farther, it’s because it stands on the shoulders of giants!’ (I. Newton.)

                  Have a great weekend.

                  Cordially,

                  John

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 23, 2009
                    Graham,

                    Excellent points! We are in total agreement as I bet are many of our
                    colleagues here.

                    Valdis

                  • Graham Durant-Law

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 23, 2009
                        Oh dear,

                        I can only see this discussion ending in tears. John - I have noted VNA/PE and when I can afford the AU$900 price tag, I'll purchase a copy. I'm glad you changed the subject line for this thread and this will be my only contribution (which is a shame because I think VNA is useful).

                        Cheers,

                        Matt
                      • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 24, 2009

                          Hi Graham and everybody –

                          Thanks for your opinions! Very much respected, appreciated and encouraged.

                          Here is clear, incisive observation published in August by a Distinguished Analyst and Vice President at Gartner

                          “Adoption of ONA has been hampered by the perspective that it is highly conceptual
                          and that the information collected is difficult to translate into pragmatic actions.”
                          Carol Roswell, August 2008

                          My response was simply to refract and anneal these widespread concerns and perceptions of ONA vis-à-vis new, practical, business-oriented, easy-2-use and low-cost tools and offerings. The fact is VNA/PE has set out to correct these misperceptions and give business network analysis, including ONA, some much needed, overdue uplift. A rising tide lifts all boats.

                          Quite honestly, it is important for all of us to openly addresses the perception of network analysis head-on. Didn’t know it was such a touchy subject, particularly in a discussion group devoted to ONA. (?)

                          As network analysis moves from a cultish backwater and tool for researchers and scholars, to creating mainstream business advantage, there are bound to be some bumps along the way. I’ve seen this odd behavior before concerning network analysis and its divine gurus, but I thought it was over. I asked my friend and colleague Mark Granovetter about it at Stanford a while back. He said, “John, we’ve been discovered and we don’t like it.

                          It is encouraging, for Gartner at least, social network analysis is exiting the ‘Trough’ and headed confidently to the “Slope of Enlightenment” in the attached chart. Again, it is really important to continuously, openly socialize and shepherd the ascent of network analysis for business.

                          You can catch the balance of Carol’s remarks here in this report…

                          http://tinyurl.com/axtdum

                          Cordially,

                          John

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 25, 2009

                            Hi all

                            I browsed the Gardner report, and noted that the benefit rating for ONA was ‘moderate’. Gartner explains that this means that organisations can reap incremental improvements to established processes which will result in increased revenue or cost savings. Also, under the heading ‘Business Impact’ there are a number of benefits listed, so I don’t think it is all gloom and doom for ONA.

                            Interestingly, where is VNA on the chart? Does anyone know what if Gartner is monitoring VNA?

                            Kind regards

                            Cai

                            ______________________________

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009

                              I know Carol Rozwell, who is one of the Gartner analysts who follows social networks. She has participated in VNA workshops, but I’m not sure if she has put VNA into the technology mix.

                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009

                                Hi Cai – “Gloom and doom” – No way! The Gartner remarks were quite good. Just reinforcing my reply to Matt.

                                Not sure why people got so jumpy – it GOOD NEWS to exiting the Trough of Disillusionment.

                                Carol’s remarks ARE cogent, correct and thoughtful. They are highly germane to Matt’s request. The problems Carol raised are simply CORRECTED by my advice and new network analysis offerings. That’s all! Its’ a great day for network analysis!

                                “Adoption of ONA has been hampered by the perspective that it is highly conceptual
                                and that the information collected is difficult to translate into pragmatic actions.”
                                - Carol Rozwell

                                BTW, it is Carol Rozwell, not Roswell. Spell checker got me again!

                                http://www.gartner.com/AnalystBiography?authorId=12953

                                Cheers,

                                -j

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009

                                  Good morning Patti –

                                  See recent, specific Gartner Research on VNA.

                                  http://valuenetworks.com/public/blog/212937

                                  Of course there is always…

                                  http://tinyurl.com/ajotgm

                                  Everyone is encouraged that Gartner is recognizing the enormous importance of network analysis AND that conventional methods had severe limitations that have now been corrected. This leads to greater applicability to business and far greater pull-through overall. That’s a good thing!

                                  Again, SNA/ONA are great for showing the structure of networks, which often has little, no impact to business outcomes. Don at L3 sizes it up extremely well:

                                  "Social network analysis is like connecting train cars. Value network analysis tells you what is in those cars, where they came from, where they are going and what the value is."Don Ledbetter, Corporate Director of Management and Organizational Effectiveness L-3 Communications

                                  -j

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                    Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA used in
                                    non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining 'value'
                                    may be difficult to do?

                                    Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the 2008
                                    Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
                                    plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
                                    the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
                                    presentation material - complete with animation and sound effects!

                                    Regards,

                                    Phil
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                      Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
                                      recent SNA project.

                                      One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.

                                      I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are beaming
                                      after a recent SNA.

                                      I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so after
                                      Gartner, as will many others on this list.

                                      Valdis

                                      P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
                                      SNA...

                                      http://is.gd/heFF

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009

                                        Not to mention press release today from Human Capital Institute http://www.humancapitalinstitute.org/hci/press.guid?_releaseID=661

                                        Research report emphasizes the need for organizations to gain an appreciation of what SNA can do and also (interesting) that a number of companies do careful measurement of network components in their organizations and yet claim to never have heard of SNA! Web conference tomorrow …

                                        New Research from Saba and The Human Capital Institute Uncovers Opportunity for Organizations to Deliver Corporate Value from Enterprise Social Networking

                                        January 27 Webcast to Reveal Importance of Formalizing Corporate Social Networks to Improve Organizational Productivity

                                        Washington, D.C. and Redwood Shores, Calif. — January 26, 2009 — Saba Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: SABA), the premier provider of people management software and services, and the Human Capital Institute (HCI) today announced the results of a new study, Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent. This new research shows that there is a tremendous opportunity for HR leaders to greatly enhance employee performance at work by becoming early movers in Social Network Analysis (SNA) and Corporate Social Networking (CSN).

                                        “Social Network Analysis is the foundation for successful corporate social networking initiatives,” said Allan Schweyer, executive director and senior vice president-research of HCI. “SNA reveals an organization’s information flow and true knowledge hierarchy. By knowingly applying SNA to its own social networking, organizations can begin to both improve existing networks and build new ones that will improve both talent management and overall organizational performance.”

                                        The report uncovers that today, less than 2 percent of human resources professionals are familiar with social network analysis — the mapping and measuring of flows of knowledge between people, groups, organizations or other components. However, more than 60 percent of organizations are already using some form of social networking tools that can enable the new, informal structures revealed by SNA. According to the study, organizations are more than likely to be using social networking to improve onboarding (71 percent) as well as support recruiting (62 percent) and mentoring/leadership development (61 percent).

                                        The study notes that to fully capture the benefits of the network-building and improvement activities now occurring, organizations need to become aware of the importance of looking at their networks analytically. SNA can be an organization’s most effective tool to understand how information flows and to identify its most active, valuable employee hubs and connectors. A single, enterprise-wide platform for social networking can complement SNA as an actionable means for organizations to both improve their networks and consolidate knowledge flow to drive better performance around the talent lifecycle.

                                        “It’s time for social networks to become a mainstream talent management process. Many are dabbling in it to see if it works,” said Dr. Rob Cross, professor of management at the University of Virginia and author of the just-released book, Driving Results Through Social Networks: How Top Organizations Leverage Networks for Performance and Growth. “This research proves that in today’s technology-driven economy, a formal SNA strategy can help organizations better acquire, develop, and retain their top performers.”

                                        The study will be unveiled January 27, 2009 in a joint Saba and HCI webcast entitled, “Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent.” To register for the webcast, visit www.hci.org or call 1-866-538-1909. In partnership with Professor Robert Cross of the University of Virginia, the study was undertaken by Saba and led by HCI senior researcher Dr. Ross Jones. Its purpose was to identify the level of Social Network Analysis awareness and use, and ascertain at what levels it can be integrated into an organization’s talent management process. The study was based on research with 319 individuals from public and private sector organizations.

                                        “This study exposes an immediate opportunity for HR to evaluate their organization and leverage enterprise social networking to drive productivity and lower costs,” said A.G. Lambert, vice president of marketing for Saba. “By identifying key employees, roles and contributions, organizations have the increased visibility to strengthen informal networks and conduct more effective employee development and workforce planning to drive competitive advantage.”

                                        Saba recently unveiled a new enterprise social networking platform — Saba Social — which is intended to support SNA by enabling organizations to analyze the contributions of employees, partners, and customers; build connected corporate communities; and accelerate high-quality knowledge exchange. Saba Social is designed to uniquely combine a rich person profile and competency framework with real-time collaboration and comprehensive social networking tools to capture knowledge and connect people with expertise. Saba Social is planned for general availability in mid-2009. For more information, please visit www.saba.com/sabasocial.

                                        A full copy of the Tapping the Power of Social Networking to Manage Talent study is available to interested industry analysts and members of the media and will be available to the public at www.saba.com.

                                        About the Human Capital Institute
                                        The Human Capital Institute (HCI) is a catalyst for innovative new thinking in talent acquisition, development, deployment, and new economy leadership. Through research and collaboration, our global network of more than 138,000 members develops and promotes creativity, best and next practices, and actionable solutions in strategic talent management. Executives, practitioners, and thought leaders representing organizations of all sizes, across public, charitable, and government sectors, utilize HCI communities, education, events, and research to foster talent advantages to ensure organizational change for competitive results. www.hci.org

                                        About Saba
                                        Founded in 1997, Saba (NASDAQ: SABA) is the premier global provider of strategic Human Capital Management (HCM) software and services. Saba’s people management solutions are used by more than 1,300 organizations and over 17 million end-users worldwide. Saba’s solutions increase organizational performance by aligning workforce goals with organizational strategy; developing, managing, and rewarding their people; and improving collaboration.

                                        Saba product offerings address all aspects of strategic HCM and are available both on-premise and OnDemand (www.saba.com/products). To ensure long-term customer success, our global services capabilities and partnerships provide strategic consulting, comprehensive implementation services, and ongoing worldwide support.

                                        Saba customers include Alcatel-Lucent; Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ; BMW; Caterpillar; CEMEX; Cisco Systems; Daimler; Dell; Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu; EDS, an HP company; EMC Corporation; FedEx Office; Insurance Australia Group; Kaiser Permanente; Lockheed Martin; Medtronic; National Australia Bank; Novartis; Petrobras; Procter & Gamble; Renault; Royal Bank of Scotland; Scotiabank; Singapore Ministry of Finance; Sprint; Standard Chartered Bank; Stanford University; Swedbank; Tata Consultancy Services; Wyndham International; Weyerhaeuser; Underwriters Laboratories; and the U.S. Army, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, U.S. Department of Treasury/Internal Revenue Service, and U.S. Navy.

                                        Headquartered in Redwood Shores, California, Saba has offices on five continents. For more information, please visit www.saba.com or call +1-877-SABA-101 or +1-650-779-2791.

                                        Legal Notice Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
                                        This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the federal securities laws, including, without limitation, statements regarding future releases of Saba’s products. Saba's actual results could differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Risks and uncertainties Saba faces that could cause results to differ materially include risks associated with: Saba's dependence on growth of the markets for Saba's products, dependence on acceptance of Saba's products by customers and channel partners, fluctuation in customer spending, length of Saba's sales cycle, competition, rapid technological change, dependence on new product introductions and enhancements and potential software defects. Readers should also refer to the section entitled "Risk Factors” on pages 11 through 21 of Saba's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended May 31, 2008 and similar disclosures in subsequent Saba periodic SEC reports. The forward-looking statements and risks stated in this press release are based on information available to Saba today. Saba assumes no obligation to update them.

                                        Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
                                        recent SNA project.

                                        One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.

                                        I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are beaming
                                        after a recent SNA.

                                        I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so after
                                        Gartner, as will many others on this list.

                                        Valdis

                                        P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
                                        SNA...

                                        http://is.gd/heFF

                                        On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:

                                        > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA used in
                                        > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining 'value'
                                        > may be difficult to do?
                                        >
                                        > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the 2008
                                        > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
                                        > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
                                        > the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
                                        > presentation material - complete with animation and sound effects!
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Phil

                                      • Kate Ehrlich
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                          Hi Valdis,

                                          Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching and didn't find them.

                                          Thanks!

                                            -- Kate
                                          -----------------
                                          Kate Ehrlich
                                          IBM Research/Cambridge
                                          617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
                                          katee@...

                                          Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
                                          Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

                                          01/26/2009 04:03 PM

                                          Please respond to
                                          ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

                                          ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                          cc
                                          Subject
                                          Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection tools)

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                            Kate,

                                            Here is the Forbes: http://is.gd/7ZuF

                                            and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas and
                                            Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?

                                            Valdis

                                            On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:

                                            > Hi Valdis,
                                            >
                                            > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching and
                                            > didn't find them.
                                            >
                                            > Thanks!
                                            >
                                            >   -- Kate
                                            > -----------------
                                            > Kate Ehrlich
                                            > IBM Research/Cambridge
                                            > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
                                            > katee@...
                                            >

                                            > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
                                            > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                            >
                                            > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
                                            > Please respond to
                                            > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

                                            > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                            > cc
                                            > Subject
                                            > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
                                            > tools)
                                            >

                                            > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
                                            > recent SNA project.
                                            >
                                            > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
                                            >
                                            > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are beaming
                                            > after a recent SNA.
                                            >
                                            > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so after
                                            > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
                                            >
                                            > Valdis
                                            >
                                            > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
                                            > SNA...
                                            >
                                            > http://is.gd/heFF
                                            >
                                            > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA used
                                            > in
                                            > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
                                            > 'value'
                                            > > may be difficult to do?
                                            > >
                                            > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the 2008
                                            > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
                                            > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
                                            > > the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
                                            > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound effects!
                                            > >
                                            > > Regards,
                                            > >
                                            > > Phil

                                          • gjzunic
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                              WSJ link: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123273549517510905.html

                                              --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

                                              > Kate,
                                              >
                                              > Here is the Forbes: http://is.gd/7ZuF
                                              >
                                              > and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas
                                              and
                                              > Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?
                                              >
                                              > Valdis
                                              >

                                              > On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:
                                              >

                                              > > Hi Valdis,
                                              > >
                                              > > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching
                                              and
                                              > > didn't find them.
                                              > >
                                              > > Thanks!
                                              > >
                                              > >   -- Kate
                                              > > -----------------
                                              > > Kate Ehrlich
                                              > > IBM Research/Cambridge
                                              > > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
                                              > > katee@...
                                              > >

                                              > > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
                                              > > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                              > >
                                              > > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
                                              > > Please respond to
                                              > > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com

                                              > > ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                                              > > cc
                                              > > Subject
                                              > > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
                                              > > tools)
                                              > >

                                              > > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
                                              > > recent SNA project.
                                              > >
                                              > > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
                                              > >
                                              > > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are
                                              beaming
                                              > > after a recent SNA.
                                              > >
                                              > > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so
                                              after
                                              > > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
                                              > >
                                              > > Valdis
                                              > >
                                              > > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
                                              > > SNA...
                                              > >
                                              > > http://is.gd/heFF
                                              > >
                                              > > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA
                                              used
                                              > > in
                                              > > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
                                              > > 'value'
                                              > > > may be difficult to do?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the
                                              2008
                                              > > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
                                              > > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
                                              > > > the 'trough of disillusionment'. Still, it provided very useful
                                              > > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound
                                              effects!

                                              > > > Regards,
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Phil

                                            • Christian, Kerrie KA
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jan 26, 2009
                                                we had a KM audit-SNA study done in my organisation  in 2004, by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
                                                - it identified future risks in our capabilities and we undertook KM (or more correctly Knowledge Sharing) interventions to reduce these risks and our dependency on just a few key gurus then in their late 50's

                                                 2 years after the original study, a followup KM audit-SNA study was done by Janus Consulting which used Lock Lee and Cjaier as subcontract consultants for SNA,
                                                -  which showed progress had been made to address these risks of dependency on only a few key gurus

                                                I shared these SNA experiences in papers presented at various engineering conferences & seminars over 2004 -2008
                                                 - this has produced responses from many engineers from across Australia and also some international speakers regarding the risks  of loss of key expertise as the babyboomers move on

                                                - I personally found KM audit-SNA studies very valuable - especially when I lost key staff in the period 2007-2008 in the teams I manage
                                                - our strong Knowledge culture meant that we recognised the risks and so we captured some of the key unique  knowledge & experiences held by only a few people who were departing
                                                - so we used a range of strategies such as Knowledge Cafes, web 2.0-Wiki's etc

                                                so that in 2009 Knowledge Management is still a key feature of our activities

                                                as such I would consider that the SNA which was done on our organization way back in 2004 was successful

                                                KerrieAnne Christian

                                                > and the WSJ page is for subscribers only... it was about Vic Gulas
                                                and
                                                > Rob Cross [Patti knows them both]... maybe they have a PDF?
                                                >
                                                > Valdis
                                                >

                                                > On Jan 26, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Kate Ehrlich wrote:
                                                >

                                                > > Hi Valdis,
                                                > >
                                                > > Do you have links to either of these stories.  I tried searching
                                                and
                                                > > didn't find them.
                                                > >
                                                > > Thanks!
                                                > >
                                                > >   -- Kate
                                                > > ------------ -----
                                                > > Kate Ehrlich
                                                > > IBM Research/Cambridge
                                                > > 617 693 1170 (office); 617 223 1851 (cell)
                                                > > katee@...
                                                > >

                                                > > Valdis Krebs <valdis@...>
                                                > > Sent by: ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com
                                                > >
                                                > > 01/26/2009 04:03 PM
                                                > > Please respond to
                                                > > ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com

                                                > > ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com
                                                > > cc
                                                > > Subject
                                                > > Re: [ona-prac] Re: VNA - The Superior Way (Was ONA Data collection
                                                > > tools)
                                                > >

                                                > > Today's Wall Street Journal describes an exec very happy with his
                                                > > recent SNA project.
                                                > >
                                                > > One of my satisfied SNA clients was recently in Forbes.
                                                > >
                                                > > I'm sure Patti and LLL also have a few recent clients who are
                                                beaming
                                                > > after a recent SNA.
                                                > >
                                                > > I've done SNA/ONA successfully before Gartner and will do so
                                                after
                                                > > Gartner, as will many others on this list.
                                                > >
                                                > > Valdis
                                                > >
                                                > > P.S. Great discussion between two of the academic heavyweights in
                                                > > SNA...
                                                > >
                                                > > http://is.gd/ heFF
                                                > >
                                                > > On Jan 26, 2009, at 3:48 PM, philrjones wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > > Apologies if I'm highlighting my own ignorance, but how is VNA
                                                used
                                                > > in
                                                > > > non-commercial organisations (e.g. Government) where defining
                                                > > 'value'
                                                > > > may be difficult to do?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Just to say that I'm very relieved to see SNA's position in the
                                                2008
                                                > > > Gartner hype cycle - a couple of years ago SNA was 'officially'
                                                > > > plummeting down from the 'peak of inflated expectations' into
                                                > > > the 'trough of disillusionment' . Still, it provided very useful
                                                > > > presentation material - complete with animation and sound
                                                effects!

                                                > > > Regards,
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Phil

                                                NOTICE - This message and any attached files may contain information that is confidential, legally privileged or proprietary. It is intended only for use by the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this message in error. Any dissemination, copying, use or re-transmission of this message or attachment, or the disclosure of any information therein, is strictly forbidden. BlueScope Steel Limited does not represent or guarantee that this message or attachment is free of errors, virus or interference.

                                                If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message. Any views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of BlueScope Steel Limited.