New file uploaded to ona-prac

  • ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 30, 2006
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ona-prac
      group.

      File : /ONA JumpStart - 2006/SNA_Jumpstart_Session3-03-30-06FINAL.ppt
      Uploaded by : natwelch <nathanielwelch@...>
      Description : These are the final slides from the session

      You can access this file at the URL:

      natwelch <nathanielwelch@...>
    • ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 30, 2006
        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ona-prac
        group.

        File : /Reprints/Ron Burt - Good Ideas.pdf
        Uploaded by : natwelch <nathanielwelch@...>
        Description : Article by Ron Burt

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 3, 2006
          Hello,

          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ona-prac
          group.

          File : /Ideas on Eliciting Honest Answers.doc
          Uploaded by : josephweb2001 <j.wehbe@...>
          Description : Eliciting honest answers

          You can access this file at the URL:

          josephweb2001 <j.wehbe@...>
        • ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 12, 2006
            Hello,

            a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the ona-prac
            group.

            File : /network.mdb
            Uploaded by : steffenmazanek <smazanek@...>
            Description : simple access database including a form for collecting network data

            You can access this file at the URL:

            steffenmazanek <smazanek@...>
          • steffenmazanek
            Message 5 of 15 , May 12, 2006
              Hello,

              I have written a simple but quite usable access application that
              helps you collecting the data. Moreover, it has a function to
              generate input data for netdraw out of the data.

              How does it work?
              The Administrator provides a table People filled with name, rank and
              Windows username of the participants.
              If a participant clicks on the mdb-file she immediately gets a form
              where she has to fill her relational data. It only takes five
              minutes and it is very easy. If she is not in the people list she
              cannot do the survey.
              The administrator can bypass the starting form by pressing shift
              during startup, analyse the tables with sql-queries or generate
              input for netdraw by starting the output-form.
              The system requirements are Windows and Access. Unfortunately it is
              by now just tested with Windows 2000 and Access 2000.
              WARNING: By now no data protection implemented, it is just a proof
              of concept. However you can assure a very basic protection by
              disabling the shift-option for the users.

              LICENSE: Feel free to use program wherever you like to.
            • steffenmazanek
              Message 6 of 15 , May 12, 2006
                I was asked how to open the file bypassing the box telling you, that
                you are not a part of it.
                Press the Shift-Key while opening the access file. Add yourself to
                the People table. Next time you start it you will get the form
                yourself.

                --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "steffenmazanek" <smazanek@...>

                Message 7 of 15 , May 13, 2006
                  This article on the USA Today front page -- Thursday May 11th --
                  mentioned "social network analysis".

                  http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

                  That article got other papers scrambling to cover the story.

                  From the Friday May 12th Philadelphia Inquirer...

                  http://www.orgnet.com/PA_PI.pdf

                  Valdis
                • Bordeaux, John
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 14, 2006
                    Valdis,

                    Interesting, Actually I was a bit miffed to see the term used this way. Kept get trying people to say "pattern analysis," or even "network science." Do you see a risk in having ONA being associated with this story? Or is any word-of-mouth good word-of-mouth? Data mining used to have be an emotion-free term as well... (We've moved to to "business intelligence.")

                    jb

                    ________________________________

                    This article on the USA Today front page -- Thursday May 11th --
                    mentioned "social network analysis".

                    http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-05-10-nsa_x.htm

                    That article got other papers scrambling to cover the story.

                    From the Friday May 12th Philadelphia Inquirer...

                    http://www.orgnet.com/PA_PI.pdf

                    Business finances <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finances&w1=Business+finances&w2=Social+network&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+degree+finance&w5=Sna&c=5&s=109&.sig=MbXPOaYsE7clwusosS699g> Social network <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Social+network&w1=Business+finances&w2=Social+network&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+degree+finance&w5=Sna&c=5&s=109&.sig=cPVMXJRV4UamA7FYfvb4iQ> Small business finance <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Small+business+finance&w1=Business+finances&w2=Social+network&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+degree+finance&w5=Sna&c=5&s=109&.sig=qX_iFLyKzJGEWUUftRptDw>
                    Business degree finance <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+degree+finance&w1=Business+finances&w2=Social+network&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+degree+finance&w5=Sna&c=5&s=109&.sig=HOlNyxMXBjVtKytcM8z0Jw> Sna <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Sna&w1=Business+finances&w2=Social+network&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+degree+finance&w5=Sna&c=5&s=109&.sig=tt6DtMghRfSZib8fkUSlmA>

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 14, 2006
                      Well, ONA may not be associated with the NSA, but SNA definitely will
                      be. Right after 9/11 all of the intelligence agencies became very
                      interested in SNA. They invited many SNA experts to Wash DC for
                      various conferences and working meetings to pick our brains. Several
                      SNA academics currently work with various govt agnecies doing this type
                      of work. I do not, though clients of mine who have licensed InFlow may
                      be doing such work.

                      If used properly, SNA can be a useful tool in catching and prosecuting
                      the bad guys. It is NOT a magic bullet and a fix-all solution!
                      Unfortunately, many new vendors have popped up making this claim.

                      Valdis

                    • Kathleen Marvin
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 14, 2006
                        Do you think they're using SNA to go through all those phone numbers they've collected? That was my first thought when I heard about it.

                        -Kathleen
                        Well, ONA may not be associated with the NSA, but SNA definitely will
                        be.  Right after 9/11 all of the intelligence agencies became very
                        interested in SNA.  They invited many SNA experts to Wash DC for
                        various conferences and working meetings to pick our brains.  Several
                        SNA academics currently work with various govt agnecies doing this type
                        of work.  I do not, though clients of mine who have licensed InFlow may
                        be doing such work.

                        If used properly, SNA can be a useful tool in catching and prosecuting
                        the bad guys.  It is NOT a magic bullet and a fix-all solution!
                        Unfortunately, many new vendors have popped up making this claim.

                        Valdis

                        On May 14, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Bordeaux, John wrote:

                        > Valdis,
                        >
                        > Interesting, Actually I was a bit miffed to see the term used this
                        > way.  Kept get trying people to say "pattern analysis," or even
                        > "network science."  Do you see a risk in having ONA being associated
                        > with this story?  Or is any word-of-mouth good word-of-mouth?   Data
                        > mining used to have be an emotion-free term as well... (We've moved to
                        > to "business intelligence.")
                        >
                        > jb
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                      • Valdis Krebs
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 14, 2006

                          Message 12 of 15 , May 14, 2006
                            Since I do not work with them I do not know. But, that is what the USA
                            Today article claimed. I don't think that is a very effective
                            approach, just looking at all of the links -- they are only phone to
                            phone links, supposedly the names associated with the phone are not
                            with the data. Yet, we all know how easy it is to associate new tables
                            of data with existing tables of data, you just need to join them on a
                            common key -- phone number.

                            Here is an on-line debate that I got involved in... you may want to add
                            your two cents... or just enjoy the various views.
                            http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002399.html
                            http://www.defensetech.org/archives/002402.html

                            Valdis

                          • Kathleen Marvin
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 14, 2006

                              The phone numbers may not be the only info they have - it may just be the only info we have thus far discovered that they have.......

                              -Kathleen

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 11, 2006
                                Here is a story from this week's Business Week of how a major
                                university soccer team answered some of these questions and the won the
                                NCAA Division I Championship!  ... correlation not causation, ;-)

                                Here is my blog about it, with the link to the BW article...

                                http://www.networkweaving.com/blog/2006/08/weaving-team-nets.html

                                Enjoy!

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 4, 2010
                                  So, who is going to compose the first Centrality Sonata? or Clique Concerto? or Overlap Overture? or...

                                  We need an Audio/Music track at the next Sunbelt!

                                  http://bit.ly/cLHOts [YouTube] ...

                                  Enjoy!

                                  Valdis Krebs
                                  http://orgnet.com