Advice about analyzing a group on network level

  • fharmsma
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2008
      Hello everyone,

      For our company we have done a SNA of several groups. We have asked
      several SNA questions which measured some of the dimensions which
      could have influence on the knowledge sharing of the group (e.g.,
      performance).
      Instead of analyzing the relations of individual nodes we want to
      analyze the group (and thus network) as a whole and particularly how
      to increase the performance of the group(s).

      For example, we have measured who knows who. In this question there
      was the possibility to answers on a 5-point scale (1- hardly know
      each other 5= know each other very well). If we increase this value,
      the network (relations between nodes) changes significantly.
      Moreover, if two (central) nodes are removed from the network only 3
      cliques will exist and not a network as a whole. Therefore, we want
      to answer to following question: Which relation between two nodes
      would be most effective for the network (e.g., decreases the average
      shortest path). Which program do you use to calculate the average
      shortest path?
      The most central nodes in the network do not have to be the
      best option. Because they could have the shortest path to a number of
      nodes, but the nodes at the outside of the network do not have a
      short path to these central nodes. Therefore a `new' relation between
      some nodes at the outside of the network could be more efficient. But
      how can this be calculated?

      Furthermore, `know each other' does not have to be the only
      independent variable of how to measure performance (knowledge
      sharing). Also `trusting the other person', the `availability of the
      other person' and `the value of information getting from the other
      person' could well be dimensions of knowledge sharing (we argue this
      based on scientific literature). At this moment we are also
      developing a formula which takes the values of these several SNA
      dimension into account. We would appreciate it very much that in case
      you have any advice in this matter you would be able to share it with
      us.

      At this time we use the programs UCINET, NETDRAW and SPSS.