Assistance Needed: Ideas & Experts Knowledge Network Metrics?

  • Craig A. DeLarge
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
      I am working on building a KN for my company and am building a list of
      metrics for tracking. Here is what I have so far. Can you offer any
      additional that are critical and innovative from your experience? I
      really really appreciate your replies.

      1. Number & length of visits by topic, geography and user demographics.
      (measures level of overall use)
      2. Number of article posts. (measures level of sharing in culture)
      3. Number of article post replies. (measures engagement)
      4. Value of time & money saved via quicker idea & expert finds

      Thanks for replies.
    • Vanessa DiMauro
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008

        Hi Craig,

        One Key metric that I look for when building and measuring professional communities/knowledge networks is Engagement Level.  I strive to find about a 20% level of engagement – meaning some show of activity (contributions, quickpoll taking, feedback, messages etc) – essential signs of life – from the total membership population. This is the my key health-o-meter metric before any granular metrics become focused on. Hope that helps!

        Best

        Vanessa

        Vanessa DiMauro

        President, Leader Networks

        Creating professional communities

        O- 617.484.0778  /  M- 617.417.3893

        E- vdimauro@...

        http://www.leadernetworks.com

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008
          Craig, I'd agree with Vanessa that you are looking for
          signs of life that reflect the engagement of some critical
          mass of people. I'd look at the list of posts which have
          been tagged by a small set of people on delicious here:

          http://delicious.com/tag/community_indicators

          as some added reading coming originally from Nancy White.

          thanks

          Ed

          --
          Edward Vielmetti
          Ann Arbor, MI

          Please remove evielmetti@... from your address book.
        • Laurence Lock Lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 11, 2008

            Hi Craig,

            Since this is an ONA practice group were you intending to use any ONA metrics? In terms of engagement you will get a sense of this by looking at the core periphery patterns you might have from an ONA study. Even better if you can get it over time. From what I can tell you are looking to use information repository use as a metric. I find these metrics of moderate use. As Vanessa intimates, the collaborative metrics are probably the most useful as they intimate tacit knowledge sharing levels, which in my experience is a major success criteria for any KM program. You might want to explore the use of Net Mining techniques for generating metrics from on-line ONA studies.  This makes studying communities over time easier and less intrusive.

            You may want to have a look at this study we completed recently which measures community benefits from wiki participation using net mining and traditional survey methods of measure:  http://www.optimice.com.au/documents/WikiMiningWikiNetworksWikinomics.pdf

            rgds

            Laurence Lock Lee PhD

            Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd

            Ph: +61 (0)407001628