Re: Large analysis

  • caikjaer
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2008
      Hi all,

      Did you know about the plugin for Excel which can analyse your own
      emails?

      http://cid-ae935b3cde8015dd.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Excel%
      20.NetMap%20-%20Social%20Network%20Add-in%20for%20Excel%202007

      I have just installed it. You need Microsoft Desktop Search for it
      work, but after my laptop had indexed Outlook it produced a nice map.
      Still not sure what to make of it though, but at least sign that
      mapping is becoming much more mainstream. I found out about it from
      the "Complexity and Social Networks Blog of the Institute for
      Quantitative Social Science and the Program on Networked Governance,
      Harvard University" (I wouldn't want to come up with an acronym for
      that...).

      On a quite separate note - but quite fascinating - UK newspaper The
      Telegraph has available online SNA maps on interactions between
      soccer players (ball passing) - see
      http://telegraph.jumpmediagroup.com/PlayerStat.aspx?
      p1id=5127&p2id=3789

      You need to select a player and a match and then scroll to the bottom
      of the page. Click on 'Pass./Rec' and you get an ONA/SNA map of the
      entire match.

      Rgs

      Cai Kjaer
      Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd
      www.optimice.com.au / www.onasurveys.com

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Peter Biddle <peternbiddle@...>
      wrote:

      > There are email tools which can help answer at least some of
      Valdis' questions. They aren't so automated yet that you can just
      press one magic button and get all the answers, but that is the
      direction folks seem to be headed.

      > What I think you want is an email analysis tool which can tell you:
      > Who emails whom?
      > How often do they communicate?
      > Is the communication one-sided or evenly distributed?
      > What are people mostly talking about?
      > Who communicates in those areas (so focus on topics in addition to
      people)?
      > Where do new ideas tend to originate?
      > Where do new ideas tend to migrate to?
      >
      > Combining email with a survey seems like a great solution. Start
      with email (and eventually IM, phone logs, chats, wikis, blogs) for
      everyone in a given network. With an appropriate opt-in privacy
      system, of course.

      > Then use a rough analysis of that data to identify key facets of
      the org - pivotal people (e.g. brokers) as well as those who have
      somehow wound up isolated or displaced (eg orphaned individuals or
      groups). We could then use the resulting data to target the
      recipients of a survey as well as to tune the questions themselves.
      Once the survey is answered, we could apply our learnings from that
      back to the email analysis to see where our assumptions held out and
      where they need to be adjusted.

      > Presumably some recommendations will come out of all this analysis,
      and hopefully the company undertakes changes. Ongoing email analysis
      can help mgmt see if the changes they choose to take are shifting
      communication flows and improving things, allowing them to tune
      changes in-situ.

      > There are companies out there which provide tools to do automated
      analysis of email. I happen to run the dev team for one of them so I
      won't mention any company here as it may be perceived as marketing.
      But if you are interested, look around!

      > Peter
      > +++
      >

      > To: ona-prac@...: valdis@...: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:25:23 -
      0400Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Large analysis

      > Yeah, proxies are fine if they help answer your question. But often
      management wants to know specific things and therefore ask specific
      questions. Proxies can be use their as a "reality test" but are
      insufficient on their own.A specific proxy can be defined as in this
      project.http://www.orgnet.com/email.htmlWe looked at emails just for
      particular project members, allowing us to get a pretty good proxy
      for "overall project communication". Yet, we did not know who was
      talking tech, who was talking admin, who was talking process, who was
      coming up with ideas, or who the experts were.There is no free lunch
      nor simple swaps in SNA/ONA.ValdisOn Jun 25, 2008, at 6:40 PM,
      jkbuenen wrote:> Valdis, Giancarlo,>> I know I probably butt in far
      to early being a freshman on this group>> How about using the
      companies computer mediated communication (cmc) > data as a> proxy?>
      Our limited experience, and some scientific work, shows that there >
      is a good chance cmc> can be taken as a proxy. Off course you always
      have the possibility > of doing a limited> survey based analysis to
      validate the proxy for this particular case.> We also accept working
      as sub-contractors in this field.>> Our software allows a dynamic
      picture with role developments showing > over time.>> Appreciate your
      feedback>> Kind regards,> Jan-Kees> www.centerconsult.net>>>>>> ---
      In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@> wrote:>>>>
      Giancarlo,>>>> You CAN do a roster survey of 400... divide them up by
      department/>> location and then alphabetically within the dept. We
      have done this>> and it works OK... allowing people to quickly find
      those natural>> groups/locations they interact with. IBM has done
      populations of>> 600-700 using this method.>>>> Your response rate
      will determine which metrics will make sense for>> you... don't
      choose flow betweenness, or anything else, before you>> have a ready
      data set! Also, are you asking symmetric or asymmetric>> questions?
      wrote:>>>>> Dear friends,>>> a large companies is about to analyse
      its information flows in order>>> to identify the informal
      information brokers. The company include>>> some 400 persons. A
      roster technique approach is clearly impossible.>>> I would suggest
      them a free recall appoach, asking each respondents>>> to select 30
      actors and to evaluate then their links to the 30. Then>>> I will
      calculate the flow betweenness, even if I know the results>>> won't
      be perfect.>>> Do you know a better method?>>> Thank you so much>>>
      Groups Links>>>