Great reading on ONA and Leadership

    Message 1 of 6 , May 8, 2008
      Hi, all,

      Bruce Hoppe and Claire Reinelt have just published an article, Social Network Analysis and the Evaluation of Leadership networks, on Bruce's site, http://connectedness.blogspot.com/2008/05/claire-reinelt-and-evaluation-of.html,

      They have been working with and studying leadership networks, and characterize four specific types:

      1. Peer networks
      2. Organizational networks
      3. Field/policy networks
      4. Collective leadership networks

      For each type, they describe the specific ONA metrics (centrality, density, etc.) that are most applicable for understanding the dynamics of that type of network. So, it's a good way to learn more about ONA metrics as well.

      You can read a bit more on Bruce's blog (linked above), but the article is a must-read for people interested in ONA.

      Enjoy,

      /patti anklam

      Patti Anklam
      Leveraging Context, Knowledge, and Networks

      http://www.pattianklam.com
      (978)456-4175

      Net Work: A Practical Guide to Creating and Sustaining Networks at Work and in the World is now available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers.

    • Edward Vielmetti
      Message 2 of 6 , May 12, 2008
        Thanks for this Patti.

        As I was reading through it, I started to wonder how the
        practice of social network analysis sets into motion the
        forces that change networks. I.e. the very process where
        you identify the individuals to be surveyed and the collection
        of survey results creates an individual (the survey researcher)
        with a weak tie of some kind to everyone in the network,
        which is something that didn't exist beforehand.

        The more I see two-dimensional network graphs the
        more I wonder about the nature of the individual who
        has the overview perspective on them - if you have ever read
        Edwin Abbott's "Flatland" you might see an analogy
        to the stranger from Spaceland who sees right through
        the world.

        thanks

        Ed

        --
        Edward Vielmetti +1 734 330 2465
      • Laurence Lock Lee
        Message 3 of 6 , May 12, 2008

          Interesting comment Ed. I must say that at the end of doing an ONA exercise and then meeting some of the participants later, I felt a little like I was meeting someone I already knew. We often speak about using ONA to accelerate inductions or “on-boarding”. Perhaps doing an ONA on an organisation you are about to join is the best form of inducting yourself J

          Laurence Lock Lee PhD

          Partner

          Optimice Pty Ltd

          Mob: 0407001628

          e-mail: llocklee@...

          blog: http://governanceandnetworks.blogspot.com/

          web: www.optimice.com.au

          "learn to network, then network to learn"

          href="http://connectedness.blogspot.com/2008/05/claire-reinelt-and-evaluation-of.html,">http://connectednes s.blogspot. com/2008/ 05/claire- reinelt-and- evaluation- of.html,

          > They have been working with and studying leadership networks, and
          > characterize four specific types:
          >
          > 1. Peer networks
          > 2. Organizational networks
          > 3. Field/policy networks
          > 4. Collective leadership networks
          >
          > For each type, they describe the specific ONA metrics (centrality,
          density,
          > etc.) that are most applicable for understanding the dynamics of that type
          > of network. So, it's a good way to learn more about ONA metrics as well.
          >
          > You can read a bit more on Bruce's blog (linked above), but the article is
          > must-read for people interested in ONA.
          >
          > Enjoy,
          >
          > /patti anklam
          >

          > Patti Anklam
          > Leveraging Context, Knowledge, and Networks
          >
          > http://www.pattiank lam.com
          > (978)456-4175
          >
          > Net Work: A Practical Guide to Creating and Sustaining Networks at Work
          and
          > in the World is now available at Amazon.com and other online booksellers.

          --
          Edward Vielmetti +1 734 330 2465

        • Matt Moore
          Message 4 of 6 , May 13, 2008
            Laurie,

            I think thisis an interesting point. How many
            organisations explicitly teach network competencies to
            their new joiners? And whilst getting a new joiner to
            do their own ONA might be overkill - getting them to
            do an informal one - or keep a network journal for
            their first few months might be an idea?

            Cheers,

            Matt

              Message 6 of 6 , May 13, 2008
                I agree LLL - of course it's not the astute ones we
                have to worry about...

                --- Laurence Lock Lee <llocklee@...>