Re: [ona-prac] Data Collection Options for ONA

  • Eric Hoffer
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 20, 2008
      For surveying, there's surveymonkey, zoomerang, zoho...
      In this surveymonkey tutorial, they may cover what you're after:
      http://surveymonkey.com/HelpCenter/TutorialPop.aspx?TutorialID=13&HelpID=298
      SOMETHING ELSE you might want to try (if in fact it is survey-type collection you're interested in): I've played a bit with the new(ish) FORMS survey from within Google Docs, and really like it.  It is pretty flexible, and no destination limits, though there aren't as many answer format-choices (i.e. no grids within a single question/answer) as monkey pro - but it is pretty great to have the results fill directly into your spreadsheet...
      To use it, go to google docs and create a new Spreadsheet, hit Save, and then go to the Share tab and select the radio-button for inviting people to "fill out a form".  Create the form (if you want some sort of categorization or identifier, you should include that - perhaps as a text field - since only things you include in the form will be columns in the spreadsheet).  Choose who to send it to and whether you want them to be able to see the results, and hit send.  Then you can just go to the spreadsheet to see the responses filled in.
      Eric

      --
      Eric Hoffer
      LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/in/erichoffer

      mfrobinson99 <mfrobinson99@...> wrote:
      Does anyone have a list or recommendation on the different tools
      available for collecting ONA data? I'm interested in identifying what
      different options are out there for conducting surveys that include
      bounded and personal networks for survey populations ranging from 10 -
      600.

      I saw an earlier message about a survey monkey network template, but
      the link was expired.

      I'd appreciate any insights into what data collection tools everyone is
      using and what the pros/cons of the various tools are.

      Thanks!!

    • everestkca
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008

        Hi - for surveys, I use (and am very happy with)  Optimice's ONA survey tool (http://www.onasurveys.com/).  It is easier to use than most tools I have tried.  It is also easy to use for the survey participants.  The data is available in both Excel (XML) and .VNA formats.  It supports both bounded and snowball (participant generated list) techniques.  The support is great and I have found them to be open and responsive to enhancement requests.   Its simplicity however may be an issue if your needs are complex.  For example, you can't do piping (e.g. if question to answer 2 is no, skip to question 6).  And all the network questions are about the same network (e.g. you first identify the people in the network and then you ask the network questions - so you can't asked question 1 and 2 about a specific network group and question 3 about another network group).  Having identified those "cons" however, I still find it the best for what I do, and find it meets my needs at the best price point.  If you have any specific questions on this, feel free to contact me.

        Hope this helps, Kathryn Everest, IBM Canada