Re: [ona-prac] Greetings

    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
      That is great Rick -- most I/T folks don't get this, and therefore
      dismiss it as unimportant.

      This is how I got into SNA also... many years ago I was a project
      manager for various large HRIS/HRMS projects, and also saw the lack of
      attention to the "sociology" of the projects. Technology was well
      covered, sociology was ignored. From that experience, I developed
      InFlow so that I could be a better project manager. I left the PM
      world and have been doing full-time SNA/ONA since 1995 in orgs of all
      sizes.

      Glad you survived your entrepreneurial network lesson... many don't,
      and crawl back to jobs they don't like.

      Welcome aboard!

      Valdis Krebs
      http;//www.orgnet.com

      On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Rick Fowler wrote:

      > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
      > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
      > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
      > group dynamics most of the time.
    • paul_kitko
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hi Rick and welcome!

        Point # 3 in your list is very familiar to me. I too started in IT
        Project Management. I worked for two very large companies, GM and
        Chrysler, both of which have lumbering bureaucracies with a command
        and control mindset. As a result it was always challenging to achieve
        my project objectives.

        After much frustration I began delving into organizational behavior
        and complex adaptive systems which led me to ona-prac. Since then I
        have had the opportunity to conduct an ONA for Chrysler's IT group.

        I'm sure you and I are not alone. IT systems are dynamic and usually
        cross organizational boundaries. My guess is that most IT departments
        are not astute enough to address the technology-driven organizational
        challenges they face. "Agile Project Management" is a good method for
        navigating organizational friction while trying to achieve project
        objectives. You may also want to read up on "Wicked Problems"
        (http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf).

        Best of luck.

        Paul Kitko

        --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Fowler" <efowler01@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!
        >
        > I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
        > (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
        > interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
        > student at the University of Chicago GSB.
        >
        > My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:
        >
        > 1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
        > without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
        > it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
        > developing professional networks as a result.
        >
        > 2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
        > want to learn more.
        >
        > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
        > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
        > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
        > group dynamics most of the time.
        >
        > So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
        > effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
        > Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
        > for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
        > I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.
        >
        > Kind Regards,
        >
        > Rick Fowler
        >
        > efowler01@...
        > rick.fowler@...
        > rick.fowler@...

      • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008

          Hi –

          Someone recommended joining. By way of introduction, I started in network analysis using GPSS on a 370/158 for response time engineering for a 8 building campus network of 3270s in Sunnyvale.  (If this means anything to you, then you will know the decade! They even had orchards back then!)

          Fast forward to 2008, I co-founded and lead a company offing simple, easy-to-use, low-cost tools for SNA, ONA and value network analysis. It’s a ‘Load and Go’ configuration. I have a blog and also orchestrate popular events worldwide know as clusters.

          Company:      http://valuenetworks.com/

          Offerings:      http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/209845

          Blog:               http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/218470

          Clusters:        http://www.vnclusters.com/ (value networks)