Greetings

  • Rick Fowler
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!

      I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
      (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
      interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
      student at the University of Chicago GSB.

      My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:

      1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
      without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
      it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
      developing professional networks as a result.

      2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
      want to learn more.

      3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
      found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
      technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
      group dynamics most of the time.

      So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
      effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
      Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
      for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
      I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.

      Kind Regards,

      Rick Fowler

      efowler01@...
      rick.fowler@...
      rick.fowler@...
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
        That is great Rick -- most I/T folks don't get this, and therefore
        dismiss it as unimportant.

        This is how I got into SNA also... many years ago I was a project
        manager for various large HRIS/HRMS projects, and also saw the lack of
        attention to the "sociology" of the projects. Technology was well
        covered, sociology was ignored. From that experience, I developed
        InFlow so that I could be a better project manager. I left the PM
        world and have been doing full-time SNA/ONA since 1995 in orgs of all
        sizes.

        Glad you survived your entrepreneurial network lesson... many don't,
        and crawl back to jobs they don't like.

        Welcome aboard!

        Valdis Krebs
        http;//www.orgnet.com

        On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Rick Fowler wrote:

        > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
        > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
        > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
        > group dynamics most of the time.
      • paul_kitko
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
          Hi Rick and welcome!

          Point # 3 in your list is very familiar to me. I too started in IT
          Project Management. I worked for two very large companies, GM and
          Chrysler, both of which have lumbering bureaucracies with a command
          and control mindset. As a result it was always challenging to achieve
          my project objectives.

          After much frustration I began delving into organizational behavior
          and complex adaptive systems which led me to ona-prac. Since then I
          have had the opportunity to conduct an ONA for Chrysler's IT group.

          I'm sure you and I are not alone. IT systems are dynamic and usually
          cross organizational boundaries. My guess is that most IT departments
          are not astute enough to address the technology-driven organizational
          challenges they face. "Agile Project Management" is a good method for
          navigating organizational friction while trying to achieve project
          objectives. You may also want to read up on "Wicked Problems"
          (http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf).

          Best of luck.

          Paul Kitko

          --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Fowler" <efowler01@...> wrote:

          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          > I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!
          >
          > I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
          > (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
          > interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
          > student at the University of Chicago GSB.
          >
          > My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:
          >
          > 1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
          > without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
          > it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
          > developing professional networks as a result.
          >
          > 2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
          > want to learn more.
          >
          > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
          > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
          > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
          > group dynamics most of the time.
          >
          > So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
          > effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
          > Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
          > for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
          > I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.
          >
          > Kind Regards,
          >
          > Rick Fowler
          >
          > efowler01@...
          > rick.fowler@...
          > rick.fowler@...

        • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008

            Hi –

            Someone recommended joining. By way of introduction, I started in network analysis using GPSS on a 370/158 for response time engineering for a 8 building campus network of 3270s in Sunnyvale.  (If this means anything to you, then you will know the decade! They even had orchards back then!)

            Fast forward to 2008, I co-founded and lead a company offing simple, easy-to-use, low-cost tools for SNA, ONA and value network analysis. It’s a ‘Load and Go’ configuration. I have a blog and also orchestrate popular events worldwide know as clusters.

            Company:      http://valuenetworks.com/

            Offerings:      http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/209845

            Blog:               http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/218470

            Clusters:        http://www.vnclusters.com/ (value networks)