Re: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings - Another perspective on Human Terrain Mapping

  • Paul Prueitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007

      I have conjectured that to frame the non-support of certain academics, for DoD use of social network theory, as being based on ethics is to not see an important deficit in the way the governments use social network theory.

      Let me explain what i mean.

      A viewpoint is dominate in your society that there is only one correct viewpoint, roughly defined as a religious or even non-religious view that human kind is reducible to behavior.    Religious fundamentalism and scientific reductionism share a lot in common.  Without over reacting to this conjecture, I ask that one sees this as a conjecture and examine this conjecture objectively.

      The key problem with RDF and web ontology languages (as seem from the W3C) is that the RDF triple is build as if there were real world universals (of a specific type, class - subclass hierarchy).  This assertion of the knowledge engineering community makes the resulting ontological models unusable to the needs of social network theory (say as perceived by Ray Bradley and Karl Pribram).  To have a theory of social response, or collective intelligences, one must have a workable mechanism for shifting viewpoints.

      The way the this works in human consciousness may be seen in the work by Pribram, and my own work.

      I will pause here and ask for comments.

      Dr Paul S Prueitt
      www.secondschool.net

      On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Peter Gadzinski wrote:

      I agree that applying SNA and anthropological insights to the task of
      sorting out actors in a real world environment is a step forward in
      DOD thinking and represents the growing importance of thinking about
      winning in "cognitive space" as well as establishing mastery in
      physical space (sometimes, the two are contradictory) . Another
      perspective on this effort arises from formal opposition to
      participation on the part of some U.S. anthropologists as they
      consider some of the HTM techniques to be unethical. Agree or not,
      you have to conclude that applying SNA is not simply an academic
      exercise.

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, "Michael Pastore" <bg_rva@...> wrote:

      > Valdis,
      >
      > I did see that article and I think it is a very good indicator of
      > SNA's acceptance within the DOD. I wasn't aware of that effor nor
      do
      > I know what software they are using - wish I did though.
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > Have you seen the write-up on "human terrain teams" in WIRED?
      > >
      > > Where you involved with this effort?
      > >
      > > > Each team is getting a half-dozen laptops, a satellite dish
      and
      > > > software for social network analysis, so they can diagram how
      all
      > of
      > > > the important players in an area are connected. Digital
      > timelines
      > > > will mark key cultural and political events. Mapmaking programs
      > will
      > > > plot out the economic, ethnic and tribal landscape.
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl. com/28utez
      > >
      > > A quick, easy and portable network recording device is a great
      > idea...
      > > something like a Palm or Treo or iPhone to quickly record: X is
      > > connected to Y via work and Y and Z are brothers. Then dump all
      > of
      > > that into the SNA data base to see larger patterns.
      > >
      > > Valdis
      > >

      > > On Nov 30, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
      > >
      > > > Valdis,
      > > >
      > > > I could not agree with you more about the intel community no
      being
      > > > more aware of what is already available commercially and in
      > > > academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to
      > close
      > > > the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).
      > > >
      > > > As for the meaning of "successful" , I must qualify my
      perspective
      > as
      > > > that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
      > > > mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
      > > > architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when
      > the
      > > > products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on
      time,
      > and
      > > > were still growing in use when I left: that is successful
      > software.
      > > > My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want
      > see
      > > > the bigger picture.
      > > >
      > > > Mike

      > did
      > > > not
      > > > for
      > plenty
      > > > of
      > be

      > > > world"
      > > > am
      > > > of the
      > > > of its

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Rick Fowler
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
        Hi Everyone,

        I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!

        I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
        (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
        interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
        student at the University of Chicago GSB.

        My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:

        1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
        without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
        it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
        developing professional networks as a result.

        2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
        want to learn more.

        3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
        found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
        technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
        group dynamics most of the time.

        So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
        effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
        Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
        for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
        I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.

        Kind Regards,

        Rick Fowler

        efowler01@...
        rick.fowler@...
        rick.fowler@...
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
          That is great Rick -- most I/T folks don't get this, and therefore
          dismiss it as unimportant.

          This is how I got into SNA also... many years ago I was a project
          manager for various large HRIS/HRMS projects, and also saw the lack of
          attention to the "sociology" of the projects. Technology was well
          covered, sociology was ignored. From that experience, I developed
          InFlow so that I could be a better project manager. I left the PM
          world and have been doing full-time SNA/ONA since 1995 in orgs of all
          sizes.

          Glad you survived your entrepreneurial network lesson... many don't,
          and crawl back to jobs they don't like.

          Welcome aboard!

          Valdis Krebs
          http;//www.orgnet.com

          On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Rick Fowler wrote:

          > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
          > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
          > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
          > group dynamics most of the time.
        • paul_kitko
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
            Hi Rick and welcome!

            Point # 3 in your list is very familiar to me. I too started in IT
            Project Management. I worked for two very large companies, GM and
            Chrysler, both of which have lumbering bureaucracies with a command
            and control mindset. As a result it was always challenging to achieve
            my project objectives.

            After much frustration I began delving into organizational behavior
            and complex adaptive systems which led me to ona-prac. Since then I
            have had the opportunity to conduct an ONA for Chrysler's IT group.

            I'm sure you and I are not alone. IT systems are dynamic and usually
            cross organizational boundaries. My guess is that most IT departments
            are not astute enough to address the technology-driven organizational
            challenges they face. "Agile Project Management" is a good method for
            navigating organizational friction while trying to achieve project
            objectives. You may also want to read up on "Wicked Problems"
            (http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf).

            Best of luck.

            Paul Kitko

            --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Fowler" <efowler01@...> wrote:

            > Hi Everyone,
            >
            > I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!
            >
            > I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
            > (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
            > interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
            > student at the University of Chicago GSB.
            >
            > My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:
            >
            > 1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
            > without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
            > it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
            > developing professional networks as a result.
            >
            > 2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
            > want to learn more.
            >
            > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
            > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
            > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
            > group dynamics most of the time.
            >
            > So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
            > effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
            > Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
            > for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
            > I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.
            >
            > Kind Regards,
            >
            > Rick Fowler
            >
            > efowler01@...
            > rick.fowler@...
            > rick.fowler@...

          • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
            Message 5 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008

              Hi –

              Someone recommended joining. By way of introduction, I started in network analysis using GPSS on a 370/158 for response time engineering for a 8 building campus network of 3270s in Sunnyvale.  (If this means anything to you, then you will know the decade! They even had orchards back then!)

              Fast forward to 2008, I co-founded and lead a company offing simple, easy-to-use, low-cost tools for SNA, ONA and value network analysis. It’s a ‘Load and Go’ configuration. I have a blog and also orchestrate popular events worldwide know as clusters.

              Company:      http://valuenetworks.com/

              Offerings:      http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/209845

              Blog:               http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/218470

              Clusters:        http://www.vnclusters.com/ (value networks)