Re: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

  • Paul Prueitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
      i am not sure, I have not been folloing this thread.

      Are you working on a Masters in Psychology and Social Networks

      On Dec 1, 2007, at 10:52 PM, Kathleen Marvin wrote:

      Hi Paul,

      Is the "Creating Business Value through Social Network Analysis" webinar still an option?  I can't find it on the training site.

      Thanks
      Kathleen Marvin
      JFK Org Psych masters student

      From: bg_rva@yahoo. com
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:30:39 +0000
      Subject: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

      Valdis,

      I could not agree with you more about the intel community no being
      more aware of what is already available commercially and in
      academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to close
      the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).

      As for the meaning of "successful" , I must qualify my perspective as
      that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
      mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
      architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when the
      products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on time, and
      were still growing in use when I left: that is successful software.
      My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want to see
      the bigger picture.

      Mike

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

      > Welcome Mike!
      >
      > I am somewhat surprised that you folks "behind the green door" did
      not
      > examine what was done commercially and in academia. It is easy
      for
      > you to see what we are doing... plenty of info available on plenty
      of
      > web sites and good ol' Google. Also, curious about what defines a
      > successful SNA app in the black world ... I realize you may not be
      > permitted to answer that question.
      >
      > Valdis
      >

      > On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I am a newbie to ONA and would like to introduce myself.
      > >
      > > I am a sofware developer who recently came out of the "black
      world"
      > > where I created several successful SNA applications. Now that I
      am
      > > free, I want to get an understanding of how SNA is used outside
      of the
      > > intel space. I am looking forward to seeing the bigger picture
      of its
      > > applicability and apply ! this to new network analysis software
      > > projects.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Mike

    • Peter Gadzinski
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
        I agree that applying SNA and anthropological insights to the task of
        sorting out actors in a real world environment is a step forward in
        DOD thinking and represents the growing importance of thinking about
        winning in "cognitive space" as well as establishing mastery in
        physical space (sometimes, the two are contradictory). Another
        perspective on this effort arises from formal opposition to
        participation on the part of some U.S. anthropologists as they
        consider some of the HTM techniques to be unethical. Agree or not,
        you have to conclude that applying SNA is not simply an academic
        exercise.

        --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pastore" <bg_rva@...> wrote:

        > Valdis,
        >
        > I did see that article and I think it is a very good indicator of
        > SNA's acceptance within the DOD. I wasn't aware of that effor nor
        do
        > I know what software they are using - wish I did though.
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Mike,
        > >
        > > Have you seen the write-up on "human terrain teams" in WIRED?
        > >
        > > Where you involved with this effort?
        > >
        > > > Each team is getting a half-dozen laptops, a satellite dish
        and
        > > > software for social network analysis, so they can diagram how
        all
        > of
        > > > the important players in an area are connected. Digital
        > timelines
        > > > will mark key cultural and political events. Mapmaking programs
        > will
        > > > plot out the economic, ethnic and tribal landscape.
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/28utez
        > >
        > > A quick, easy and portable network recording device is a great
        > idea...
        > > something like a Palm or Treo or iPhone to quickly record: X is
        > > connected to Y via work and Y and Z are brothers. Then dump all
        > of
        > > that into the SNA data base to see larger patterns.
        > >
        > > Valdis
        > >

        > > On Nov 30, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
        > >
        > > > Valdis,
        > > >
        > > > I could not agree with you more about the intel community no
        being
        > > > more aware of what is already available commercially and in
        > > > academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to
        > close
        > > > the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).
        > > >
        > > > As for the meaning of "successful", I must qualify my
        perspective
        > as
        > > > that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
        > > > mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
        > > > architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when
        > the
        > > > products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on
        time,
        > and
        > > > were still growing in use when I left: that is successful
        > software.
        > > > My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want
        > see
        > > > the bigger picture.
        > > >
        > > > Mike

        > did
        > > > not
        > > > for
        > plenty
        > > > of
        > be

        > > > world"
        > > > am
        > > > of the
        > > > of its

        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Paul Prueitt
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007

          I have conjectured that to frame the non-support of certain academics, for DoD use of social network theory, as being based on ethics is to not see an important deficit in the way the governments use social network theory.

          Let me explain what i mean.

          A viewpoint is dominate in your society that there is only one correct viewpoint, roughly defined as a religious or even non-religious view that human kind is reducible to behavior.    Religious fundamentalism and scientific reductionism share a lot in common.  Without over reacting to this conjecture, I ask that one sees this as a conjecture and examine this conjecture objectively.

          The key problem with RDF and web ontology languages (as seem from the W3C) is that the RDF triple is build as if there were real world universals (of a specific type, class - subclass hierarchy).  This assertion of the knowledge engineering community makes the resulting ontological models unusable to the needs of social network theory (say as perceived by Ray Bradley and Karl Pribram).  To have a theory of social response, or collective intelligences, one must have a workable mechanism for shifting viewpoints.

          The way the this works in human consciousness may be seen in the work by Pribram, and my own work.

          I will pause here and ask for comments.

          Dr Paul S Prueitt
          www.secondschool.net

        • Rick Fowler
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
            Hi Everyone,

            I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!

            I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
            (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
            interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
            student at the University of Chicago GSB.

            My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:

            1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
            without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
            it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
            developing professional networks as a result.

            2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
            want to learn more.

            3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
            found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
            technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
            group dynamics most of the time.

            So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
            effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
            Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
            for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
            I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.

            Kind Regards,

            Rick Fowler

            efowler01@...
            rick.fowler@...
            rick.fowler@...
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
              That is great Rick -- most I/T folks don't get this, and therefore
              dismiss it as unimportant.

              This is how I got into SNA also... many years ago I was a project
              manager for various large HRIS/HRMS projects, and also saw the lack of
              attention to the "sociology" of the projects. Technology was well
              covered, sociology was ignored. From that experience, I developed
              InFlow so that I could be a better project manager. I left the PM
              world and have been doing full-time SNA/ONA since 1995 in orgs of all
              sizes.

              Glad you survived your entrepreneurial network lesson... many don't,
              and crawl back to jobs they don't like.

              Welcome aboard!

              Valdis Krebs
              http;//www.orgnet.com

              On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Rick Fowler wrote:

              > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
              > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
              > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
              > group dynamics most of the time.
            • paul_kitko
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                Hi Rick and welcome!

                Point # 3 in your list is very familiar to me. I too started in IT
                Project Management. I worked for two very large companies, GM and
                Chrysler, both of which have lumbering bureaucracies with a command
                and control mindset. As a result it was always challenging to achieve
                my project objectives.

                After much frustration I began delving into organizational behavior
                and complex adaptive systems which led me to ona-prac. Since then I
                have had the opportunity to conduct an ONA for Chrysler's IT group.

                I'm sure you and I are not alone. IT systems are dynamic and usually
                cross organizational boundaries. My guess is that most IT departments
                are not astute enough to address the technology-driven organizational
                challenges they face. "Agile Project Management" is a good method for
                navigating organizational friction while trying to achieve project
                objectives. You may also want to read up on "Wicked Problems"
                (http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf).

                Best of luck.

                Paul Kitko

                --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Fowler" <efowler01@...> wrote:

                > Hi Everyone,
                >
                > I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!
                >
                > I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
                > (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
                > interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
                > student at the University of Chicago GSB.
                >
                > My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:
                >
                > 1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
                > without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
                > it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
                > developing professional networks as a result.
                >
                > 2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
                > want to learn more.
                >
                > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
                > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
                > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
                > group dynamics most of the time.
                >
                > So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
                > effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
                > Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
                > for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
                > I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.
                >
                > Kind Regards,
                >
                > Rick Fowler
                >
                > efowler01@...
                > rick.fowler@...
                > rick.fowler@...

              • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
                Message 7 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008

                  Hi –

                  Someone recommended joining. By way of introduction, I started in network analysis using GPSS on a 370/158 for response time engineering for a 8 building campus network of 3270s in Sunnyvale.  (If this means anything to you, then you will know the decade! They even had orchards back then!)

                  Fast forward to 2008, I co-founded and lead a company offing simple, easy-to-use, low-cost tools for SNA, ONA and value network analysis. It’s a ‘Load and Go’ configuration. I have a blog and also orchestrate popular events worldwide know as clusters.

                  Company:      http://valuenetworks.com/

                  Offerings:      http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/209845

                  Blog:               http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/218470

                  Clusters:        http://www.vnclusters.com/ (value networks)