Re: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

  • Kathleen Marvin
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi Paul,

      Is the "Creating Business Value through Social Network Analysis" webinar still an option?  I can't find it on the training site.

      Thanks
      Kathleen Marvin
      JFK Org Psych masters student

      From: bg_rva@yahoo. com
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:30:39 +0000
      Subject: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

      Valdis,

      I could not agree with you more about the intel community no being
      more aware of what is already available commercially and in
      academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to close
      the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).

      As for the meaning of "successful" , I must qualify my perspective as
      that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
      mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
      architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when the
      products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on time, and
      were still growing in use when I left: that is successful software.
      My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want to see
      the bigger picture.

      Mike

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

      > Welcome Mike!
      >
      > I am somewhat surprised that you folks "behind the green door" did
      not
      > examine what was done commercially and in academia. It is easy
      for
      > you to see what we are doing... plenty of info available on plenty
      of
      > web sites and good ol' Google. Also, curious about what defines a
      > successful SNA app in the black world ... I realize you may not be
      > permitted to answer that question.
      >
      > Valdis
      >

      > On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I am a newbie to ONA and would like to introduce myself.
      > >
      > > I am a sofware developer who recently came out of the "black
      world"
      > > where I created several successful SNA applications. Now that I
      am
      > > free, I want to get an understanding of how SNA is used outside
      of the
      > > intel space. I am looking forward to seeing the bigger picture
      of its
      > > applicability and apply ! this to new network analysis software
      > > projects.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Mike

    • Paul Prueitt

        From: bg_rva@yahoo. com
        Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:30:39 +0000

        Valdis,

        I could not agree with you more about the intel community no being
        more aware of what is already available commercially and in
        academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to close
        the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).

        As for the meaning of "successful" , I must qualify my perspective as
        that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
        mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
        architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when the
        products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on time, and
        were still growing in use when I left: that is successful software.
        My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want to see
        the bigger picture.

        Mike

        --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

        > Welcome Mike!
        >
        > I am somewhat surprised that you folks "behind the green door" did
        not
        > examine what was done commercially and in academia. It is easy
        for
        > you to see what we are doing... plenty of info available on plenty
        of
        > web sites and good ol' Google. Also, curious about what defines a
        > successful SNA app in the black world ... I realize you may not be
        > permitted to answer that question.
        >
        > Valdis
        >

        > On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
        >
        > > Hello all,
        > >
        > > I am a newbie to ONA and would like to introduce myself.
        > >
        > > I am a sofware developer who recently came out of the "black
        world"
        > > where I created several successful SNA applications. Now that I
        am
        > > free, I want to get an understanding of how SNA is used outside
        of the
        > > intel space. I am looking forward to seeing the bigger picture
        of its
        > > applicability and apply ! this to new network analysis software
        > > projects.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Mike

      • Peter Gadzinski
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007
          I agree that applying SNA and anthropological insights to the task of
          sorting out actors in a real world environment is a step forward in
          DOD thinking and represents the growing importance of thinking about
          winning in "cognitive space" as well as establishing mastery in
          physical space (sometimes, the two are contradictory). Another
          perspective on this effort arises from formal opposition to
          participation on the part of some U.S. anthropologists as they
          consider some of the HTM techniques to be unethical. Agree or not,
          you have to conclude that applying SNA is not simply an academic
          exercise.

          --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pastore" <bg_rva@...> wrote:

          > Valdis,
          >
          > I did see that article and I think it is a very good indicator of
          > SNA's acceptance within the DOD. I wasn't aware of that effor nor
          do
          > I know what software they are using - wish I did though.
          >
          > Mike
          >
          > --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike,
          > >
          > > Have you seen the write-up on "human terrain teams" in WIRED?
          > >
          > > Where you involved with this effort?
          > >
          > > > Each team is getting a half-dozen laptops, a satellite dish
          and
          > > > software for social network analysis, so they can diagram how
          all
          > of
          > > > the important players in an area are connected. Digital
          > timelines
          > > > will mark key cultural and political events. Mapmaking programs
          > will
          > > > plot out the economic, ethnic and tribal landscape.
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/28utez
          > >
          > > A quick, easy and portable network recording device is a great
          > idea...
          > > something like a Palm or Treo or iPhone to quickly record: X is
          > > connected to Y via work and Y and Z are brothers. Then dump all
          > of
          > > that into the SNA data base to see larger patterns.
          > >
          > > Valdis
          > >

          > > On Nov 30, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
          > >
          > > > Valdis,
          > > >
          > > > I could not agree with you more about the intel community no
          being
          > > > more aware of what is already available commercially and in
          > > > academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to
          > close
          > > > the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).
          > > >
          > > > As for the meaning of "successful", I must qualify my
          perspective
          > as
          > > > that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
          > > > mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
          > > > architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when
          > the
          > > > products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on
          time,
          > and
          > > > were still growing in use when I left: that is successful
          > software.
          > > > My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want
          > see
          > > > the bigger picture.
          > > >
          > > > Mike

          > did
          > > > not
          > > > for
          > plenty
          > > > of
          > be

          > > > world"
          > > > am
          > > > of the
          > > > of its

          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Prueitt
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2007

            I have conjectured that to frame the non-support of certain academics, for DoD use of social network theory, as being based on ethics is to not see an important deficit in the way the governments use social network theory.

            Let me explain what i mean.

            A viewpoint is dominate in your society that there is only one correct viewpoint, roughly defined as a religious or even non-religious view that human kind is reducible to behavior.    Religious fundamentalism and scientific reductionism share a lot in common.  Without over reacting to this conjecture, I ask that one sees this as a conjecture and examine this conjecture objectively.

            The key problem with RDF and web ontology languages (as seem from the W3C) is that the RDF triple is build as if there were real world universals (of a specific type, class - subclass hierarchy).  This assertion of the knowledge engineering community makes the resulting ontological models unusable to the needs of social network theory (say as perceived by Ray Bradley and Karl Pribram).  To have a theory of social response, or collective intelligences, one must have a workable mechanism for shifting viewpoints.

            The way the this works in human consciousness may be seen in the work by Pribram, and my own work.

            I will pause here and ask for comments.

            Dr Paul S Prueitt
            www.secondschool.net

          • Rick Fowler
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
              Hi Everyone,

              I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!

              I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
              (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
              interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
              student at the University of Chicago GSB.

              My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:

              1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
              without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
              it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
              developing professional networks as a result.

              2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
              want to learn more.

              3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
              found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
              technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
              group dynamics most of the time.

              So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
              effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
              Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
              for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
              I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.

              Kind Regards,

              Rick Fowler

              efowler01@...
              rick.fowler@...
              rick.fowler@...
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                That is great Rick -- most I/T folks don't get this, and therefore
                dismiss it as unimportant.

                This is how I got into SNA also... many years ago I was a project
                manager for various large HRIS/HRMS projects, and also saw the lack of
                attention to the "sociology" of the projects. Technology was well
                covered, sociology was ignored. From that experience, I developed
                InFlow so that I could be a better project manager. I left the PM
                world and have been doing full-time SNA/ONA since 1995 in orgs of all
                sizes.

                Glad you survived your entrepreneurial network lesson... many don't,
                and crawl back to jobs they don't like.

                Welcome aboard!

                Valdis Krebs
                http;//www.orgnet.com

                On Jan 7, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Rick Fowler wrote:

                > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
                > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
                > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
                > group dynamics most of the time.
              • paul_kitko
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2008
                  Hi Rick and welcome!

                  Point # 3 in your list is very familiar to me. I too started in IT
                  Project Management. I worked for two very large companies, GM and
                  Chrysler, both of which have lumbering bureaucracies with a command
                  and control mindset. As a result it was always challenging to achieve
                  my project objectives.

                  After much frustration I began delving into organizational behavior
                  and complex adaptive systems which led me to ona-prac. Since then I
                  have had the opportunity to conduct an ONA for Chrysler's IT group.

                  I'm sure you and I are not alone. IT systems are dynamic and usually
                  cross organizational boundaries. My guess is that most IT departments
                  are not astute enough to address the technology-driven organizational
                  challenges they face. "Agile Project Management" is a good method for
                  navigating organizational friction while trying to achieve project
                  objectives. You may also want to read up on "Wicked Problems"
                  (http://cognexus.org/wpf/wickedproblems.pdf).

                  Best of luck.

                  Paul Kitko

                  --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Fowler" <efowler01@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > I've just joined the ONA-prac group and am thrilled to be here!
                  >
                  > I am a consultant in business/IT strategy and implementation
                  > (examples: enterprise content management, knowldge management,
                  > interactive marketing, custom software engineering). I'm also an MBA
                  > student at the University of Chicago GSB.
                  >
                  > My interest in ONA/SNA comes from three places:
                  >
                  > 1. I first learned about networks when I started a small business
                  > without having a network. That's difficult - I don't recommend
                  > it. :^) But I gained quite a bit of practical experience in
                  > developing professional networks as a result.
                  >
                  > 2. I've done some SNA with UCINet and NetDraw for class projects and
                  > want to learn more.
                  >
                  > 3. In my software engineering and project management roles, I have
                  > found that the challenges to successful projects are rarely
                  > technical - they involve culture, organization, communication, and
                  > group dynamics most of the time.
                  >
                  > So I've dedicated myself to learning how to improve organizational
                  > effectiveness, and I want to learn more about using ONA.
                  > Specifically, I'm looking for methods and tools for diagnostics and
                  > for approaches to developing solutions to organizational challenges.
                  > I look forward to learning as well as contributing as much as I can.
                  >
                  > Kind Regards,
                  >
                  > Rick Fowler
                  >
                  > efowler01@...
                  > rick.fowler@...
                  > rick.fowler@...

                • JT Maloney (jheuristic)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Nov 21, 2008

                    Hi –

                    Someone recommended joining. By way of introduction, I started in network analysis using GPSS on a 370/158 for response time engineering for a 8 building campus network of 3270s in Sunnyvale.  (If this means anything to you, then you will know the decade! They even had orchards back then!)

                    Fast forward to 2008, I co-founded and lead a company offing simple, easy-to-use, low-cost tools for SNA, ONA and value network analysis. It’s a ‘Load and Go’ configuration. I have a blog and also orchestrate popular events worldwide know as clusters.

                    Company:      http://valuenetworks.com/

                    Offerings:      http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/209845

                    Blog:               http://valuenetworks.com/public/item/218470

                    Clusters:        http://www.vnclusters.com/ (value networks)