Re: Link Analysis versus Social Network Analysis

  • philrjones
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 11, 2007
      As Valdis mentions, link analysis is a term used by law enforcement
      and Intelligence agencies. At its most basic, people use tools such
      as i2 Analyst's notebook to visualise relationships between people,
      things and events - using visualisation as a means for conveying
      their 'mental map' of the network under consideration.

      More advanced link analysis involves systematic node and link
      extraction from source material and potentially look at a range of
      inter-personal relationship types. At this point the boundary between
      link analysis and SNA seems to get blurred.

      My working hypothesis for what makes SNA distinctive from link
      analysis is:

      * SNA makes use of social theory and the social context of the
      network under consideration to underpin the range of link definitions
      and subsequent analysis (though my impression is that SNA is often
      focused on production of graph theoretic metrics - which one could
      say is simply Network Analysis, not SNA).

      * There is some fusion of evidence (e.g. multiple reports of a
      relationship between person A and B)to provide an assessment of the
      link, prior to undertaking SNA.

      * It makes use of science (social and mathematical) principles to:
      improve the objectivity of analysis / visualisation; and potentially
      to undertake link and node inference where missing data is an issue.

      Do others agree ... what have I missed.

      Regards,

      Phil
    • philrjones
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 11, 2007
        Not sure where my reply went ... I'll have another go, sorry if it
        subsequently appears!

        As Valdis mentions, link analysis is used by law enforcement and
        intelligence agencies to look at the relationships between people,
        things and events.

        At its most basic, people use tools like i2 Analyst's Notebook to
        visualise their mental map of a network. More advanced link analysis
        will systematically identify nodes and links from source material and
        may use a range of link types to represent different inter-personal
        link types. At this point the boundary between link analysis and SNA
        gets blurred.

        What I think makes SNA distinctive from link analysis is that:

        * SNA makes use of social constructs, theory and context to define
        the link types that will be used.

        * Some fusion of information takes place, prior to undertaking
        quantitative analysis (e.g. to resolve multiple pieces of evidence
        about links between person A and person B).

        * SNA makes use of social and mathematical (mainly graph theory)
        science to support both analysis and visualisation of data.

        Using these definitions, I wonder how much SNA is, in reality little
        more than network analysis ?

        Phil
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 11, 2007
          As I think I posted here last year, or maybe Patti did, ONA was
          created by Gerry Falkowski, when his IBM clients [both internal and
          external, squirmed at the word "social" -- "we're business people,
          what does that have to do with social?" was one of the infamous
          quotes. So he changed the wording -- and nothing else -- and started
          lining up ONA clients left and right. This was back in the mid
          1990s. I remember the conversation when he told me... pretty funny.

          When I took grad courses @ Mich State from the Comm Dept in network
          analysis -- it was called just that -- "network analysis", once in a
          while you heard "communication network analysis". But plain network
          analysis soon got associated with computer networks, so people
          started adding a descriptor up front.

          Valdis

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 11, 2007

            I don’t think I knew that Gerry story, but I like it.  We named this group ONA-PRAC so that we could distinguish ourselves from the greater world of social network analysis – which does deal with epidemiology and other sociological applications. When I make this distinction in presentations, I emphasize that ONA is a subset of the larger practice of social network analysis – we want to look at people in organizations (mostly business organizations). The tools and the methods are essentially the same, but as Valdis says, the word “social” carries a lot of connotations so ONA sometimes works better.

            As I think I posted here last year, or maybe Patti did, ONA was
            created by Gerry Falkowski, when his IBM clients [both internal and
            external, squirmed at the word "social" -- "we're business people,
            what does that have to do with social?" was one of the infamous
            quotes. So he changed the wording -- and nothing else -- and started
            lining up ONA clients left and right. This was back in the mid
            1990s. I remember the conversation when he told me... pretty funny.

            When I took grad courses @ Mich State from the Comm Dept in network
            analysis -- it was called just that -- "network analysis", once in a
            while you heard "communication network analysis". But plain network
            analysis soon got associated with computer networks, so people
            started adding a descriptor up front.

            Valdis

            On Nov 11, 2007, at 3:44 PM, philrjones wrote:

            > For that matter what makes SNA and / or ONA distinctive from Network
            > Analysis? Is it purely to do with the goal of the analysis - insight
            > into social systems and organisations, or are there more fundamental
            > attributes?
            >
            > Phil
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Bordeaux, John
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 11, 2007
              Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but some usage of the "link analysis" term stems apparently from the unfortunate privacy associations that are made when someone in government says "data mining." If I'm right, it's only a matter of time before "link analysis" becomes tainted as well.

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 12, 2007
                A little Monday humor... in light of our recent discussion on the terms
                which include "network analysis" & "link analysis" you folks may find
                this funny. My blog post about it is here...

                http://www.networkweaving.com/blog

                Valdis
              • Tim Keller
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 19, 2007
                  As a term of art LA is at least a decade old, probably more like 15
                  years. I've seen a paper out of the Intelligence Community from the
                  mid-90s that uses it. I think it just came about to distinguish
                  itself from other types of data mining, no conspiracies needed.

                  --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Bordeaux, John" <John_Bordeaux@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Perhaps I'm just being cynical, but some usage of the "link
                  analysis" term stems apparently from the unfortunate privacy
                  associations that are made when someone in government says "data
                  mining." If I'm right, it's only a matter of time before "link
                  analysis" becomes tainted as well.

                  Behalf Of Valdis Krebs
                  > Sent: Sunday, November 11, 2007 5:13 PM
                  > To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Link Analysis versus Social Network Analysis
                  >

                  > As I think I posted here last year, or maybe Patti did, ONA was
                  > created by Gerry Falkowski, when his IBM clients [both internal and
                  > external, squirmed at the word "social" -- "we're business people,
                  > what does that have to do with social?" was one of the infamous
                  > quotes. So he changed the wording -- and nothing else -- and started
                  > lining up ONA clients left and right. This was back in the mid
                  > 1990s. I remember the conversation when he told me... pretty funny.
                  >
                  > When I took grad courses @ Mich State from the Comm Dept in network
                  > analysis -- it was called just that -- "network analysis", once in a
                  > while you heard "communication network analysis". But plain network
                  > analysis soon got associated with computer networks, so people
                  > started adding a descriptor up front.
                  >
                  > Valdis
                  >
                  > On Nov 11, 2007, at 3:44 PM, philrjones wrote:
                  >
                  > > For that matter what makes SNA and / or ONA distinctive from Network
                  > > Analysis? Is it purely to do with the goal of the analysis - insight
                  > > into social systems and organisations, or are there more fundamental
                  > > attributes?
                  > >
                  > > Phil
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Sérgio Storch
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 21, 2007
                    Dear friends
                    We´d like to have one of you who lives in Europe to tell us about best practices in utilization of social networks in government and public services, in Dec 12 or 13, when the 6th Brazilian Conference on KM for Government will take place.
                    Would those who are interested: please rush and send a short profile on the work you´ve been doing, to me and to paulo.fresneda@.... Because of the funding available, a mandatory requirement is that you live in Europe.

                    Sérgio Storch
                    sergiostorch@...
                    fixo: 11-3666.9005
                    cel : 11-8644.0721 (novo!)
                    skype: sstorch

                    "Eu não sei quem descobriu a água, mas certamente não foi um peixe" (Marshall MacLuhan)