PLEASE REVIEW - ONA-Prac Poll

  • Nat Welch
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27 11:51 AM

      Dear ONA-PRAC members:

      Our group has been in existence for 2 years and we have over 200 members.  The moderators (Patti, Bruce, and I) have had a number of queries from members about getting a better understanding of who we are and who we know in the ONA community. That led us to come up with a brilliant idea - How about doing an ONA on ONA-Prac?  The intent would be to sheed some light on the geographic, functional, knowledge, and social aspects of our group.  Cai Kjaer and Laurence Lock Lee have offered to let us use their survey tool and we'd do the analysis and share it back to the group so that we can see what our group looks like under a network lense.

      Privacy concerns are paramount so only the survey responders in ONAPrac can see the detailed results.  We did think about the possibility of writing an article  about the practice of ONA around the world by ONA-Prac members as a way to highlight the work of this group's members, and if that happened we would use some summary data for that article, but no data that identifies any individual would be included.

      OPT OPTIONS - We will send the survey questionaire link to everyone who is a member of ONA-Prac UNLESS you request to Opt Out by sending me an email at nathanielwelch@....   I hope you won't Opt out so you can share in results.  Please let me know by Friday, October 5th and if you would like to receive the invitation in a differenet email box, please email me the new address.

      Thanks in advance and I hope that you will join the other 200+ members of ONA-Prac and see what our network looks like.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27 12:15 PM
        Good idea!

        What are the network questions you will ask? Since there is
        expertise on this list maybe we can review/edit them before sending out?

        Can the survey tool export data in a CSV format? Like this?

        FromNode, ToNode, LinkStrength, LinkContent

        [FromNode is the survey taker, LinkContent would correspond to the
        network question (task, advice, expertise, reference, etc)]

        If so, I would gladly run the data through InFlow and post the results
        [maps and metrics] to a "ONA-PRAC only" link.

        Also, will you be tracking node "attributes" like location,
        experience, gender, role, etc.? Nodes can be colored/grouped by
        attribute.

        Valdis

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 27 1:43 PM
          Leave it to Valdis to make sure that we make this a great practice exercise for all on this list! From the design through the survey and the analysis, we can leverage the experience of our membership.

          What are the questions that you would like to ask?  And what are the demographics we should collect?

          Certainly, Valdis, we can convert the data into InFlow format (I least I can, as I've done that many times!). We could also see how many different analysis tools people want to try out so we can have an array of visualizations?

          cheers

          /patti
          (978)456-4175

          href="mailto:atnathanielwelch%40earthlink.net">atnathanielwelch@ earthlink. net. I hope you
          > won't Opt out so you can share in results. Please let me
          know by
          > Friday, October 5th and if you would like to receive the
          invitation
          > in a differenet email box, please email me the new
          address.

          > Thanks in advance and I hope that you will join the
          other 200+
          > members of ONA-Prac and see what our network looks
          like.

        • Laurence Lock Lee
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 27 3:11 PM
            Yes we should practice what we preach in terms of survey design. Can't promise that the survey tool has full flexibility as it is pretty new and we are relying on the goodwill of our developer colleague. But it will also provide us with some good feedback from the practitioner group that the tool was built for. The output currently generates vna files as the default, as once it it vna then through Ucinet we can usually get into all other formats. In terms of practicalities we need a working group to review the survey. At the moment we have myself, Nat, Patti, Bruce Cai and Valdis.....if there are any other volunteers all we need is an e-mail address to give you access to the survey as it is being designed.

            rgds

            Laurence Lock Lee

            Partner

            Optimice Pty Ltd

            Mob: 0407001628

            e-mail: llocklee@...

            www.optimice.com.au

            "learn to network, then network to learn"