Using average number of degrees as an indicator

  • Cai Kjaer
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2007

      Hello all,

      Just wanted to see how many of you capture the average number of degrees for the nodes in a network? I have been re-reading the book on SNA and Pajek (http://www.amazon.com/Exploratory-Network-Analysis-Structural-Sciences/dp/0521602629). In the book, de Nooy suggests that density isn’t a good measure as you can’t really compare between networks of different sizes, and recommends average degree as a better measure for comparing networks .

      Has anyone collected that’s on average degrees? Should/could we as practitioners build up some benchmarking data on this and share?

      Kind regards

      Cai

      _____________________

      Cai Kjaer, Partner

      Optimice Pty. Ltd.

      Phone: +61 411 569 694

      Email: cai.kjaer@...

      Web: www.optimice.com.au / www.onasurveys.com

      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

    • Giancarlo Oriani
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2007
        This is a very good question. No answer, or simply I did not get any?
        The benchmarking data is a good idea. Can we work on that, or, as someone said, is a "newbie idea"?
        Ciao
        Giancarlo

        Just wanted to see how many of you capture the average number of degrees for the nodes in a network? I have been re-reading the book on SNA and Pajek (http://www.amazon. com/Exploratory- Network-Analysis -Structural- Sciences/ dp/0521602629). In the book, de Nooy suggests that density isn’t a good measure as you can’t really compare between networks of different sizes, and recommends average degree as a better measure for comparing networks .

        Has anyone collected that’s on average degrees? Should/could we as practitioners build up some benchmarking data on this and share?

        Kind regards

        Cai

        Cai Kjaer, Partner

        Optimice Pty. Ltd.