Re: Social Network Informatics

  • pattianklam
    Message 1 of 38 , May 28, 2007
      HI, Laurie,

      I agree that computational social science is both too academic and too
      confining. I thought of another term that has been used, at least at
      MITRE in their research: "Social Information Retrieval." This gets
      close, but I think some people may still object to the "social" part,
      but got me into thinking along these lines:

      ... social information discovery .... network information discovery...

      ?

      /patti
      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Laurie Lock Lee" <llocklee@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Patti..that's certainly a good alternative. Perhaps provides a
      > broader connotation than SNI as I guess there's is more to social
      science
      > than networks.though the "Capturing and analysis of human activity
      > represented in digital form" definition is pretty much the same. Not
      sure if
      > it totally covers the "Industry Map" applications where the links are
      > transaction, alliance or ownership related. While there is always a
      human
      > component with these its probably less social science related and more
      > economics/business related. Also suffers from the same criticism as
      Valdis
      > pointed out fro SNI.that it's a bit academic. I will follow up on
      David's
      > leads though.
      >

      > Rgds
      >

      > LLL
      >

      > _____

      Behalf
      > Of Patti Anklam
      > Sent: Friday, 25 May 2007 10:19 PM
      > To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: RE: [ona-prac] Social Network Informatics
      >

      > Hi,
      >
      > David Lazer (Kennedy School of Government at Harvard) calls it
      > "computational social science". Here's a link to a great talk he did
      at the
      > Kennedy School earlier this month.
      >
      > http://www.ksg

      <http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/netgov/files/talks/docs/05_07_07_seminar_Laz\
      er_c
      > o> harvard.edu/netgov/files/talks/docs/05_07_07_seminar_Lazer_co
      > mputational_social_science.pdf
      >
      > /patti

      On
      > Behalf
      > Of Valdis Krebs
      > Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 10:22 PM
      > To: ona-prac@yahoogroup <mailto:ona-prac%40yahoogroups.com> s.com
      > Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Social Network Informatics
      >
      > Yeah, good point... maybe we ought to just call it Ralph... or Betsey?
      >
      > ;-)
      >
      > Valdis
      >
      > On May 24, 2007, at 6:03 PM, Laurence Lock Lee wrote:
      >
      > > I find if we leave the "social" out people think we are talking
      > > about computer networks..social network data mining.too much of a
      > > mouthful?
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Laurence Lock Lee
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 15, 2007

        Hi Brian,

        I do tend to agree just because we can, doesn’t necessarily mean we should. A government agency I was working with last year wanted to implement an e-mail archive for record keeping purposes. There were many out of the box solutions available and not too expensive. There were no policy roadblocks, however I sensed that the executive who would have to approve the proposal were dragging their heels and I expect even now its on the back burner. I suspect the executives themselves would have been thinking “do I want all my e-mail archived for potential public scrutiny?”. The agency had even implemented some “opt-out” features in their Lotus Notes e-mail which enabled people to mark e-mails as private (which mostly meant e-mails organizing lunch or something like that). So it looks like even though we can…most organisations don’t want to for a variety of reasons including many you have mentioned.

        I think Tacit, one of the pioneers in e-mail mining, handled this quite well by instigating an “opt-in” process where staff could choose to submit the e-mail they are about to send to the repository for potential mining. Of course it could also work as an “opt-out” where the default is to send it to the repository unless you explicitly opt-out. I think the latter is the best solution as I expect over time many people will find they can’t be bothered opting out, especially if over time they can see its being used for “good” not “evil”…if indeed that is the case!

        Rgds

        Laurence Lock Lee

        Partner

        Optimice Pty Ltd

        Mob: 0407001628

        e-mail: llocklee@...

        www.optimice.com.au

        "learn to network, then network to learn"