RE: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • Bob Bater
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
      Patti,

      For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

      Best regards,

      Bob

      Principal Associate
      InfoPlex Associates, UK
      www.infoplex-uk.com

      This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
        On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
        > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
        > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
        > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
        > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
        > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
        > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
        > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
        > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
        In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
        personality construct in combination with network analysis to
        understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
        interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
        interpreting team interaction dynamics.

        Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
        London, SAGE.

        In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
        Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
        constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
        analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
        literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
        regards to my research.

        cheerz!
        steve

        Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
        Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
        Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
        School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
        Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
        http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
      • Laurie Lock Lee
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

          Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

          Laurence Lock Lee

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

            Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

            LLL

            Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
              Laurence,

              AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

              I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 4, 2007

                Hi, Bob,

                Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?