RE: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007

      Hi, all,

      On the subject of personal networks (this may be a bit off this topic), does anyone know of a web site where a person could go to create a personal network map, even if it’s just a basic hub-and-spokes? I know of customized survey software that does this, but I’d like to find a place that is open for anyone to go and create a simple map.

      Thanks,

      patti

      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
        Patti,

        For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

        Best regards,

        Bob

        Principal Associate
        InfoPlex Associates, UK
        www.infoplex-uk.com

        This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
          On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
          > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
          > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
          > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
          > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
          > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
          > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
          > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
          > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
          In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
          personality construct in combination with network analysis to
          understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
          interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
          interpreting team interaction dynamics.

          Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
          London, SAGE.

          In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
          Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
          constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
          analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
          literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
          regards to my research.

          cheerz!
          steve

          Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
          Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
          Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
          School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
          Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
          http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
        • Laurie Lock Lee
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

            Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

            Laurence Lock Lee

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

              Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

              LLL

              Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
                Laurence,

                AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

                I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 4, 2007

                  Hi, Bob,

                  Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?