Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • philrjones
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 15, 2007
      I've found this discussion very interesting and have joined the group
      as a result!

      I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
      of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
      all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
      ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
      ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
      organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
      those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
      hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.

      Apologies if some of the many papers that have been cited during the
      discussion so far help to address this question. I'm only just starting
      to read through them.

      Regards, Phil
    • Giancarlo Oriani
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
        Very interesting question.
        In my consulting activities the combination of structural and personal characteristics will be next step, but I have not yet completed a whole project of that kind. Have someone of you experienced it?
        Regards
        Giancarlo

        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007

          Hi, all,

          On the subject of personal networks (this may be a bit off this topic), does anyone know of a web site where a person could go to create a personal network map, even if it’s just a basic hub-and-spokes? I know of customized survey software that does this, but I’d like to find a place that is open for anyone to go and create a simple map.

          Thanks,

          patti

          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
            Patti,

            For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

            Best regards,

            Bob

            Principal Associate
            InfoPlex Associates, UK
            www.infoplex-uk.com

            This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
              On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
              > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
              > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
              > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
              > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
              > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
              > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
              > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
              > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
              In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
              personality construct in combination with network analysis to
              understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
              interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
              interpreting team interaction dynamics.

              Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
              London, SAGE.

              In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
              Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
              constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
              analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
              literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
              regards to my research.

              cheerz!
              steve

              Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
              Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
              Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
              School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
              Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
              http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
            • Laurie Lock Lee
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

                Laurence Lock Lee

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                  Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

                  LLL

                  Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
                    Laurence,

                    AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

                    I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 4, 2007

                      Hi, Bob,

                      Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?