RE: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • Paul Burton
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
      I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article.    Indeed, the combination of the structuralist (social network) position and personality dimensions needs more work.  They are such antithetical positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the structure that enables action; no, it's the personality.  Of course it's a combination of the two.

      I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their input.

      Paul Burton

      Program Management, Enterprise Applications

      Raytheon Company

      PBurton3@...

      To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      From: valdis@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -0500
      Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

      Interesting. .. Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
      execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

      By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
      of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

      From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would
      choose positions surrounded by structural holes, which is what Burt
      ad Ronchi advised... hmmm.

      Here is the Mehra/Kilduff/ Brass article...
      http://www.personal .psu.edu/ mxk6/selfmon. pdf

      Here is the Burt/Ronchi article...
      http://faculty. chicagogsb. edu/ronald. burt/research/ TESSC.pdf

      Valdis

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
        Exactly! It would be VERY interesting to combine the two research
        threads and see if anything worthwhile emerges!

        Valdis

        On Jan 8, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Paul Burton wrote:

        > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
        > in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed,
        > the combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
        > personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
        > positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the
        > structure that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course
        > it's a combination of the two.
        >
        > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their input.
        >

        > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheon
        > CompanyPBurton3@...
      • stevenfleck2006
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
          In addition to the Mehra et al article, there are also a few other
          papers that show relationships between personal characteristics and
          network position.

          Kalish & Robbins (2006) found that people who have an internal locus
          of control (i.e., they see themselves as being in control of what
          happens to them), and see themselves as individualists, tend to have
          more and stronger structural holes in their ego networks. Another
          interesting aspect of this study is the triad census method they use.
          This enables them to unpack the aspects of people's ego networks in
          more detail than the more global network measures Burt and Mehra et
          al use.

          sni.tm.nthu.edu.tw/archives/download/912/

          Klein at al (2004) looked at the relationship between personality
          characteristics and centrality in teams. They found that people who
          were high in emotional stability were more central in advice and
          friendship networks, and less central in adversarial networks.

          http://www-management.wharton.upenn.edu/klein/documents/
          Klein_Lim_Saltz_Mayer_2004.pdf

          We (SHL) are also very interested in exploring the relationships
          between personal characteristics and networks. We are in the process
          of conducting this work at the moment, so I haven't got anything
          concrete to share at the moment. But the results do seem to point in
          the same direction as the research published so far.

          As Paul points out, these issues go to the heart of exploring how
          sociology and psychology contribute to explaining behaviour. But as
          it is such an under explored area, there are lots of questions to be
          resolved. As more work is done, I suspect we will find that there are
          certain circumstances when personality shapes social structure and
          others when it's the other way around. For example, stable, deep-
          seated traits are probably unlikely to be affected by network
          characteristics that are temporary or weak. On the other hand, more
          transient traits may be expected to be affected by stronger, enduring
          or very salient network characteristics.

          Regarding research on MBTI and networks, it may be that because this
          is a personality type measure, which looks at broad collections of
          personal characteristics, it isn't detailed enough to capture
          relations with networks. The personality trait measures used in other
          research is more focused, so perhaps that is why they find such
          relationships?

          Steven

          --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Burton <PBurton3@...> wrote:

          > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
          in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed, the
          combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
          personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
          positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the structure
          that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course it's a
          combination of the two.

          > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their
          input.

          > Paul Burton
          > Program Management, Enterprise Applications
          > Raytheon Company
          > PBurton3@...
          >

          > To: ona-prac@...: valdis@...: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -
          0500Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

          > Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
          execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.By the teaching
          execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits of that], did
          this increase their self-monitoring behavior???From the Brass article
          it appears that high self-monitors would choose positions surrounded
[...]
          performance.>> Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise
          ApplicationsRaytheon > CompanyPBurton3@...>

        • Joseph Wehbe
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
            Thank you Giancarlo and others for your feedback on my correlation
            question. Two points to take this further:

            1) Valdis, you mention a study pointing to no correlation between
            MBTI category and centrality measures. The MBTI, however, is only one
            of many inventories used by psychometricians, some of which might be
            worth a look. Besides, individual measures (be they or not included
            in the MBTI), rather than inventories, might also be interesting. In
            the radio program section on Humax Networks' website, a claim is made
            that there exists no relationship between personality and extent of
            social capital. I'll dig into their sources.

            2) Personality variables are measured through proxies, so we're never
            completely safe from "criterion contamination" (see Muchinsky for an
            exact definition). Other variables can be measured directly. Burt has
            done great work comparing the social capital of American and French
            managers. I believe there is an open research avenue for
            investigating such variables, in addition to nationality or culture:
            age, level of education, income bracket, etc.

            Let me know what you think.

            Best,

            Joseph

            --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Oriani"
            <giancarlo.oriani@...> wrote:

            > I think it is very interesting to collect ego networks data and
            combine them into a whole network ... but you must completely trust
            your "ego" answers. I mean that in order to check respondents
            reliability through answers reciprocity (if A says that B go to him
            for advice, B must say that he goes to A for advice) you cannot
            collect ego network data unless into a more general network analysis,
            can you?
            > Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations
            between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?
            > Ciao
            > Giancarlo

            Have
> [...]
            >
            > --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Steven Fleck <steven.fleck@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > SHL Logo <http://www.shlgroup.com/emailfiles/shllogo.gif>
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > I have a few questions about using an personal (ego) network
            > approach for
            > > ONA work. At least from what I have seen, most of the focus of
            > > organisational applications of network analysis is on whole
            > networks, where
            > > data is collected from all/most members of a group or
            organisation.
            > I think
            > > there is also a lot of potential in using a personal network
            > approach (where
            > > each person nominates their most important contacts, and then
            > indicates
            > > relations between them). While many of the traditional network
            > metrics are
            > > obviously not available with this type of data, it can tell us
            > about the
            > > types of relations a person has, and the structure of his or
            her
            > immediate
            > > web of relations. This type of information can be very valuable
            > when working
            > > with participants as individuals. An additional advantage of
            > personal
            > > network data is that it doesn't require both a meaningfully
            defined
            > group of
            > > participants or a high response rate.
            > >
            > > I have recently done some work with a group of managers, where
            we
            > collected
            > > this type of network data. We then fed back information about
            their
            > personal
            > > networks to the managers, as part of a broader leadership
            > development
            > > programme. The resulting developments and action points had an
            > impact both
            > > at the individual and at the business-unit level. It would be
            very
            > > interesting to hear if others have used personal network data
            for
            > any kind
            > > of organisation or personal development work, or have any
            thoughts
            > on how to
            > > do this.
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Steven
            > >

            > > Steven Fleck
            > > Senior Research Psychologist
            > >

            > > Direct:
            > > Main:
            > > Fax:
            > >

            > > Email:
            > > Web:
            > >
            > > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8108
            > > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8000
            > > + 44 (0) 20 8335 7000
            > >

            > > Steven.Fleck@ <mailto:Steven.Fleck@>
            > > www.shl.com <http://www.shl.com>
            > >
            > > SHL Group Plc, The Pavilion, 1 Atwell Place, Thames Ditton,
            Surrey,
            > KT7 0NE,
            > > England.
            > >
            > > Footer Curve <http://www.shlgroup.com/emailfiles/lbb.gif>
            > >
            > > This email is confidential and intended for the addressee(s)
            only.
            > > If you are not an addressee please promptly notify the sender
            and
            > delete the
            > > message; do not use the content in any other way.

            > > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
            > System.
            > > For more information please visit
            http://www.messagelabs.com/email

          • philrjones
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 15, 2007
              I've found this discussion very interesting and have joined the group
              as a result!

              I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
              of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
              all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
              ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
              ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
              organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
              those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
              hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.

              Apologies if some of the many papers that have been cited during the
              discussion so far help to address this question. I'm only just starting
              to read through them.

              Regards, Phil
            • Giancarlo Oriani
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                Very interesting question.
                In my consulting activities the combination of structural and personal characteristics will be next step, but I have not yet completed a whole project of that kind. Have someone of you experienced it?
                Regards
                Giancarlo

                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007

                  Hi, all,

                  On the subject of personal networks (this may be a bit off this topic), does anyone know of a web site where a person could go to create a personal network map, even if it’s just a basic hub-and-spokes? I know of customized survey software that does this, but I’d like to find a place that is open for anyone to go and create a simple map.

                  Thanks,

                  patti

                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                    Patti,

                    For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

                    Best regards,

                    Bob

                    Principal Associate
                    InfoPlex Associates, UK
                    www.infoplex-uk.com

                    This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
                      On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
                      > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
                      > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
                      > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
                      > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
                      > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
                      > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
                      > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
                      > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
                      In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
                      personality construct in combination with network analysis to
                      understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
                      interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
                      interpreting team interaction dynamics.

                      Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
                      London, SAGE.

                      In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
                      Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
                      constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
                      analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
                      literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
                      regards to my research.

                      cheerz!
                      steve

                      Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
                      Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
                      Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
                      School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
                      Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
                      http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
                    • Laurie Lock Lee
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                        Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

                        Laurence Lock Lee

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                          Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

                          LLL

                          Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
                            Laurence,

                            AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

                            I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 4 2:49 PM

                              Hi, Bob,

                              Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?