Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • Giancarlo Oriani
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
      I think it is very interesting to collect ego networks data and combine them into a whole network ... but you must completely trust your "ego" answers. I mean that in order to check respondents reliability through answers reciprocity (if A says that B go to him for advice, B must say that he goes to A for advice) you cannot collect ego network data unless into a more general network analysis, can you?
      Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?
      Ciao
      Giancarlo

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
        Each situation is different... sometimes you verify the links, other
        times that is not necessary [not enough benefit for the time
        required]. The network question(s) you ask will guide you... some
        are naturally one-way links while others tend toward two-way
        [naturally reciprocated]. It is the two way questions that you will
        need to determine confirmation.

        Unfortunately there are no quick and fast rules that work for all
        situations... experience helps you quickly get to what will work in
        what situation.

        Valdis

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
          Ron Burt has done work in this area.

          Also, many people think that Meyers-Briggs type indicators will
          correlate with network position... but no research that I have seen
          shows any positive correlation at all. One of my university clients
          did research in this area and found absolutely NO correlation between
          MBTI and the common centrality measures.

          Valdis

          On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Giancarlo Oriani wrote:

          > Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations
          > between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?

        • Paul Burton
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
            Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff, M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science Quarterly 46, 121-146.  Abstract below:

            Examines how different personality types create and benefit from social networks. Tested how self-monitoring orientation and network position related to work performance. High self monitors were more likely than low self monitors to occupy central positions in a network. For high self monitors, longer service (tenure) related to the occupancy of strategically advantageous network positions. Third, self-monitoring and centrality in social networks independently predicted individual's workplace performance. The results paint a picture of people shaping the networks that constrain and enable performance.

            Paul Burton

            Program Management, Enterprise Applications

            Raytheon Company

            PBurton3@...

            To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
            From: valdis@...
            Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:52:23 -0500
            Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
              Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
              execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

              By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
              of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

              From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would
              choose positions surrounded by structural holes, which is what Burt
              ad Ronchi advised... hmmm.

              Here is the Mehra/Kilduff/Brass article...
              http://www.personal.psu.edu/mxk6/selfmon.pdf

              Here is the Burt/Ronchi article...
              http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/ronald.burt/research/TESSC.pdf

              Valdis

              On Jan 7, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Paul Burton wrote:

              > Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff,
              > M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self
              > Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science
              > Quarterly 46, 121-146. Abstract below:
              >
              > Examines how different personality types create and benefit from
              > social networks. Tested how self-monitoring orientation and network
              > position related to work performance. High self monitors were more
              > likely than low self monitors to occupy central positions in a
              > network. For high self monitors, longer service (tenure) related to
              > the occupancy of strategically advantageous network positions.
              > Third, self-monitoring and centrality in social networks
              > independently predicted individual's workplace performance. The
              > results paint a picture of people shaping the networks that
              > constrain and enable performance.
              >
              > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheon
              > CompanyPBurton3@...

            • Paul Burton

                From: valdis@...
                Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -0500

                Interesting. .. Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
                execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

                By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
                of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

                From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would

                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                  Exactly! It would be VERY interesting to combine the two research
                  threads and see if anything worthwhile emerges!

                  Valdis

                  On Jan 8, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Paul Burton wrote:

                  > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
                  > in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed,
                  > the combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
                  > personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
                  > positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the
                  > structure that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course
                  > it's a combination of the two.
                  >
                  > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their input.
                  >

                  > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheon
                  > CompanyPBurton3@...
                • stevenfleck2006
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                    In addition to the Mehra et al article, there are also a few other
                    papers that show relationships between personal characteristics and
                    network position.

                    Kalish & Robbins (2006) found that people who have an internal locus
                    of control (i.e., they see themselves as being in control of what
                    happens to them), and see themselves as individualists, tend to have
                    more and stronger structural holes in their ego networks. Another
                    interesting aspect of this study is the triad census method they use.
                    This enables them to unpack the aspects of people's ego networks in
                    more detail than the more global network measures Burt and Mehra et
                    al use.

                    sni.tm.nthu.edu.tw/archives/download/912/

                    Klein at al (2004) looked at the relationship between personality
                    characteristics and centrality in teams. They found that people who
                    were high in emotional stability were more central in advice and
                    friendship networks, and less central in adversarial networks.

                    http://www-management.wharton.upenn.edu/klein/documents/
                    Klein_Lim_Saltz_Mayer_2004.pdf

                    We (SHL) are also very interested in exploring the relationships
                    between personal characteristics and networks. We are in the process
                    of conducting this work at the moment, so I haven't got anything
                    concrete to share at the moment. But the results do seem to point in
                    the same direction as the research published so far.

                    As Paul points out, these issues go to the heart of exploring how
                    sociology and psychology contribute to explaining behaviour. But as
                    it is such an under explored area, there are lots of questions to be
                    resolved. As more work is done, I suspect we will find that there are
                    certain circumstances when personality shapes social structure and
                    others when it's the other way around. For example, stable, deep-
                    seated traits are probably unlikely to be affected by network
                    characteristics that are temporary or weak. On the other hand, more
                    transient traits may be expected to be affected by stronger, enduring
                    or very salient network characteristics.

                    Regarding research on MBTI and networks, it may be that because this
                    is a personality type measure, which looks at broad collections of
                    personal characteristics, it isn't detailed enough to capture
                    relations with networks. The personality trait measures used in other
                    research is more focused, so perhaps that is why they find such
                    relationships?

                    Steven

                    --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Burton <PBurton3@...> wrote:

                    > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
                    in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed, the
                    combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
                    personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
                    positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the structure
                    that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course it's a
                    combination of the two.

                    > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their
                    input.

                    > Paul Burton
                    > Program Management, Enterprise Applications
                    > Raytheon Company
                    > PBurton3@...
                    >

                    > To: ona-prac@...: valdis@...: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -
                    0500Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

                    > Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
                    execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.By the teaching
                    execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits of that], did
                    this increase their self-monitoring behavior???From the Brass article
                    it appears that high self-monitors would choose positions surrounded
[...]
                  • Joseph Wehbe
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                      Thank you Giancarlo and others for your feedback on my correlation
                      question. Two points to take this further:

                      1) Valdis, you mention a study pointing to no correlation between
                      MBTI category and centrality measures. The MBTI, however, is only one
                      of many inventories used by psychometricians, some of which might be
                      worth a look. Besides, individual measures (be they or not included
                      in the MBTI), rather than inventories, might also be interesting. In
                      the radio program section on Humax Networks' website, a claim is made
                      that there exists no relationship between personality and extent of
                      social capital. I'll dig into their sources.

                      2) Personality variables are measured through proxies, so we're never
                      completely safe from "criterion contamination" (see Muchinsky for an
                      exact definition). Other variables can be measured directly. Burt has
                      done great work comparing the social capital of American and French
                      managers. I believe there is an open research avenue for
                      investigating such variables, in addition to nationality or culture:
                      age, level of education, income bracket, etc.

                      Let me know what you think.

                      Best,

                      Joseph

                      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Oriani"
                      <giancarlo.oriani@...> wrote:

                      > I think it is very interesting to collect ego networks data and
                      combine them into a whole network ... but you must completely trust
                      your "ego" answers. I mean that in order to check respondents
                      reliability through answers reciprocity (if A says that B go to him
                      for advice, B must say that he goes to A for advice) you cannot
                      collect ego network data unless into a more general network analysis,
                      can you?
                      > Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations
                      between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?
                      > Ciao
                      > Giancarlo

                    • philrjones
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 15, 2007
                        I've found this discussion very interesting and have joined the group
                        as a result!

                        I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
                        of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
                        all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
                        ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
                        ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
                        organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
                        those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
                        hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.

                        Apologies if some of the many papers that have been cited during the
                        discussion so far help to address this question. I'm only just starting
                        to read through them.

                        Regards, Phil
                      • Giancarlo Oriani
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                          Very interesting question.
                          In my consulting activities the combination of structural and personal characteristics will be next step, but I have not yet completed a whole project of that kind. Have someone of you experienced it?
                          Regards
                          Giancarlo

                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007

                            Hi, all,

                            On the subject of personal networks (this may be a bit off this topic), does anyone know of a web site where a person could go to create a personal network map, even if it’s just a basic hub-and-spokes? I know of customized survey software that does this, but I’d like to find a place that is open for anyone to go and create a simple map.

                            Thanks,

                            patti

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                              Patti,

                              For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

                              Best regards,

                              Bob

                              Principal Associate
                              InfoPlex Associates, UK
                              www.infoplex-uk.com

                              This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
                                On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
                                > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
                                > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
                                > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
                                > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
                                > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
                                > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
                                > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
                                > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
                                In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
                                personality construct in combination with network analysis to
                                understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
                                interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
                                interpreting team interaction dynamics.

                                Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
                                London, SAGE.

                                In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
                                Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
                                constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
                                analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
                                literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
                                regards to my research.

                                cheerz!
                                steve

                                Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
                                Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
                                Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
                                School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
                                Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
                                http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
                              • Laurie Lock Lee
                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                                  Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

                                  Laurence Lock Lee

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                                    Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

                                    LLL

                                    Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
                                      Laurence,

                                      AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

                                      I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 4, 2007

                                        Hi, Bob,

                                        Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?