Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • Joseph Wehbe
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 28, 2006
      Steven,

      These are interesting articles concerning the collection of data for,
      and the treatment of, personal network analysis:
      1) http://www.insna.org/Connections-Web/Volume26-2/8.McCartyWutich.pdf
      2) http://www.insna.org/Connections-Web/Volume26-1/5.Lonkila.pdf

      In addition, the following website is very useful for extending ego-
      networks to wider networks:

      http://www.respondentdrivensampling.org

      A question for you: I see SHL performs various assessment tests. Have
      you created tests that combine the measurement of personal
      characteristics and of connectedness? Is there any type of
      correlation that you might have found between the two?

      Happy holidays to all,
      Joseph

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Steven Fleck <steven.fleck@...>
      wrote:

      > SHL Logo <http://www.shlgroup.com/emailfiles/shllogo.gif>
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a few questions about using an personal (ego) network
      approach for
      > ONA work. At least from what I have seen, most of the focus of
      > organisational applications of network analysis is on whole
      networks, where
      > data is collected from all/most members of a group or organisation.
      I think
      > there is also a lot of potential in using a personal network
      approach (where
      > each person nominates their most important contacts, and then
      indicates
      > relations between them). While many of the traditional network
      metrics are
      > obviously not available with this type of data, it can tell us
      about the
      > types of relations a person has, and the structure of his or her
      immediate
      > web of relations. This type of information can be very valuable
      when working
      > with participants as individuals. An additional advantage of
      personal
      > network data is that it doesn't require both a meaningfully defined
      group of
      > participants or a high response rate.
      >
      > I have recently done some work with a group of managers, where we
      collected
      > this type of network data. We then fed back information about their
      personal
      > networks to the managers, as part of a broader leadership
      development
      > programme. The resulting developments and action points had an
      impact both
      > at the individual and at the business-unit level. It would be very
      > interesting to hear if others have used personal network data for
      any kind
      > of organisation or personal development work, or have any thoughts
      on how to
      > do this.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Steven
      >

      > Steven Fleck
      > Senior Research Psychologist
      >

      > Direct:
      > Main:
      > Fax:
      >

      > Email:
      > Web:
      >
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8108
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8000
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 7000
      >

      > Steven.Fleck@... <mailto:Steven.Fleck@...>
      > www.shl.com <http://www.shl.com>
      >
      > SHL Group Plc, The Pavilion, 1 Atwell Place, Thames Ditton, Surrey,
      KT7 0NE,
      > England.
      >
      > Footer Curve <http://www.shlgroup.com/emailfiles/lbb.gif>
      >
      > This email is confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.
      > If you are not an addressee please promptly notify the sender and
      delete the
      > message; do not use the content in any other way.

      > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
      System.

    • Giancarlo Oriani
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
        I think it is very interesting to collect ego networks data and combine them into a whole network ... but you must completely trust your "ego" answers. I mean that in order to check respondents reliability through answers reciprocity (if A says that B go to him for advice, B must say that he goes to A for advice) you cannot collect ego network data unless into a more general network analysis, can you?
        Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?
        Ciao
        Giancarlo

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
          Each situation is different... sometimes you verify the links, other
          times that is not necessary [not enough benefit for the time
          required]. The network question(s) you ask will guide you... some
          are naturally one-way links while others tend toward two-way
          [naturally reciprocated]. It is the two way questions that you will
          need to determine confirmation.

          Unfortunately there are no quick and fast rules that work for all
          situations... experience helps you quickly get to what will work in
          what situation.

          Valdis

          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
            Ron Burt has done work in this area.

            Also, many people think that Meyers-Briggs type indicators will
            correlate with network position... but no research that I have seen
            shows any positive correlation at all. One of my university clients
            did research in this area and found absolutely NO correlation between
            MBTI and the common centrality measures.

            Valdis

            On Jan 7, 2007, at 12:05 PM, Giancarlo Oriani wrote:

            > Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations
            > between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?

          • Paul Burton
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
              Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff, M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science Quarterly 46, 121-146.  Abstract below:

              Examines how different personality types create and benefit from social networks. Tested how self-monitoring orientation and network position related to work performance. High self monitors were more likely than low self monitors to occupy central positions in a network. For high self monitors, longer service (tenure) related to the occupancy of strategically advantageous network positions. Third, self-monitoring and centrality in social networks independently predicted individual's workplace performance. The results paint a picture of people shaping the networks that constrain and enable performance.

              Paul Burton

              Program Management, Enterprise Applications

              Raytheon Company

              PBurton3@...

              To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
              From: valdis@...
              Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:52:23 -0500
              Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 7, 2007
                Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
                execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

                By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
                of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

                From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would
                choose positions surrounded by structural holes, which is what Burt
                ad Ronchi advised... hmmm.

                Here is the Mehra/Kilduff/Brass article...
                http://www.personal.psu.edu/mxk6/selfmon.pdf

                Here is the Burt/Ronchi article...
                http://faculty.chicagogsb.edu/ronald.burt/research/TESSC.pdf

                Valdis

                On Jan 7, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Paul Burton wrote:

                > Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff,
                > M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self
                > Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science
                > Quarterly 46, 121-146. Abstract below:
                >
                > Examines how different personality types create and benefit from
                > social networks. Tested how self-monitoring orientation and network
                > position related to work performance. High self monitors were more
                > likely than low self monitors to occupy central positions in a
                > network. For high self monitors, longer service (tenure) related to
                > the occupancy of strategically advantageous network positions.
                > Third, self-monitoring and centrality in social networks
                > independently predicted individual's workplace performance. The
                > results paint a picture of people shaping the networks that
                > constrain and enable performance.
                >
                > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheon
                > CompanyPBurton3@...

              • Paul Burton

                  From: valdis@...
                  Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -0500

                  Interesting. .. Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
                  execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

                  By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
                  of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

                  From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                    Exactly! It would be VERY interesting to combine the two research
                    threads and see if anything worthwhile emerges!

                    Valdis

                    On Jan 8, 2007, at 8:59 AM, Paul Burton wrote:

                    > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
                    > in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed,
                    > the combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
                    > personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
                    > positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the
                    > structure that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course
                    > it's a combination of the two.
                    >
                    > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their input.
                    >

                    > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheon
                    > CompanyPBurton3@...
                  • stevenfleck2006
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                      In addition to the Mehra et al article, there are also a few other
                      papers that show relationships between personal characteristics and
                      network position.

                      Kalish & Robbins (2006) found that people who have an internal locus
                      of control (i.e., they see themselves as being in control of what
                      happens to them), and see themselves as individualists, tend to have
                      more and stronger structural holes in their ego networks. Another
                      interesting aspect of this study is the triad census method they use.
                      This enables them to unpack the aspects of people's ego networks in
                      more detail than the more global network measures Burt and Mehra et
                      al use.

                      sni.tm.nthu.edu.tw/archives/download/912/

                      Klein at al (2004) looked at the relationship between personality
                      characteristics and centrality in teams. They found that people who
                      were high in emotional stability were more central in advice and
                      friendship networks, and less central in adversarial networks.

                      http://www-management.wharton.upenn.edu/klein/documents/
                      Klein_Lim_Saltz_Mayer_2004.pdf

                      We (SHL) are also very interested in exploring the relationships
                      between personal characteristics and networks. We are in the process
                      of conducting this work at the moment, so I haven't got anything
                      concrete to share at the moment. But the results do seem to point in
                      the same direction as the research published so far.

                      As Paul points out, these issues go to the heart of exploring how
                      sociology and psychology contribute to explaining behaviour. But as
                      it is such an under explored area, there are lots of questions to be
                      resolved. As more work is done, I suspect we will find that there are
                      certain circumstances when personality shapes social structure and
                      others when it's the other way around. For example, stable, deep-
                      seated traits are probably unlikely to be affected by network
                      characteristics that are temporary or weak. On the other hand, more
                      transient traits may be expected to be affected by stronger, enduring
                      or very salient network characteristics.

                      Regarding research on MBTI and networks, it may be that because this
                      is a personality type measure, which looks at broad collections of
                      personal characteristics, it isn't detailed enough to capture
                      relations with networks. The personality trait measures used in other
                      research is more focused, so perhaps that is why they find such
                      relationships?

                      Steven

                      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Burton <PBurton3@...> wrote:

                      > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
                      in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed, the
                      combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
                      personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
                      positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the structure
                      that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course it's a
                      combination of the two.

                      > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their
                      input.

                      > Paul Burton
                      > Program Management, Enterprise Applications
                      > Raytheon Company
                      > PBurton3@...
                      >

                      > To: ona-prac@...: valdis@...: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -
                      0500Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

                      > Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
                      execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.By the teaching
                      execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits of that], did
                      this increase their self-monitoring behavior???From the Brass article
                      it appears that high self-monitors would choose positions surrounded

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 8, 2007
                        Thank you Giancarlo and others for your feedback on my correlation
                        question. Two points to take this further:

                        1) Valdis, you mention a study pointing to no correlation between
                        MBTI category and centrality measures. The MBTI, however, is only one
                        of many inventories used by psychometricians, some of which might be
                        worth a look. Besides, individual measures (be they or not included
                        in the MBTI), rather than inventories, might also be interesting. In
                        the radio program section on Humax Networks' website, a claim is made
                        that there exists no relationship between personality and extent of
                        social capital. I'll dig into their sources.

                        2) Personality variables are measured through proxies, so we're never
                        completely safe from "criterion contamination" (see Muchinsky for an
                        exact definition). Other variables can be measured directly. Burt has
                        done great work comparing the social capital of American and French
                        managers. I believe there is an open research avenue for
                        investigating such variables, in addition to nationality or culture:
                        age, level of education, income bracket, etc.

                        Let me know what you think.

                        Best,

                        Joseph

                        --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Oriani"
                        <giancarlo.oriani@...> wrote:

                        > I think it is very interesting to collect ego networks data and
                        combine them into a whole network ... but you must completely trust
                        your "ego" answers. I mean that in order to check respondents
                        reliability through answers reciprocity (if A says that B go to him
                        for advice, B must say that he goes to A for advice) you cannot
                        collect ego network data unless into a more general network analysis,
                        can you?
                        > Very, very interesting Wehbe's questions upon possible correlations
                        between personal characteristics and connectedness. Any ideas?
                        > Ciao
                        > Giancarlo

                      • philrjones
                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 15, 2007
                          I've found this discussion very interesting and have joined the group
                          as a result!

                          I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
                          of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
                          all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
                          ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
                          ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
                          organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
                          those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
                          hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.

                          Apologies if some of the many papers that have been cited during the
                          discussion so far help to address this question. I'm only just starting
                          to read through them.

                          Regards, Phil
                        • Giancarlo Oriani
                          Message 12 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                            Very interesting question.
                            In my consulting activities the combination of structural and personal characteristics will be next step, but I have not yet completed a whole project of that kind. Have someone of you experienced it?
                            Regards
                            Giancarlo

                            Message 13 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007

                              Hi, all,

                              On the subject of personal networks (this may be a bit off this topic), does anyone know of a web site where a person could go to create a personal network map, even if it’s just a basic hub-and-spokes? I know of customized survey software that does this, but I’d like to find a place that is open for anyone to go and create a simple map.

                              Thanks,

                              patti

                              Message 14 of 27 , Feb 18, 2007
                                Patti,

                                For this sort of thing, I have always found CMap Tools very useful. It's not a dedicated ONA or SNA application, but if you download the client application (Java), you can create concept maps of any shape or form. Once created, you can, if you wish, upload them to a CMap server and share them with anyone, and give them edit permissions if you want.

                                Best regards,

                                Bob

                                Principal Associate
                                InfoPlex Associates, UK
                                www.infoplex-uk.com

                                This note confirms that this email message has been checked for the presence of computer viruses. However we would advise that in keeping with good IT practice, the recipient should ensure that the e-mail together with any attachments are virus free by running a virus scan themselves. InfoPlex Associates cannot accept responsibility for any damage or loss caused by software viruses.

                                Message 15 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007
                                  On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
                                  > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
                                  > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
                                  > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
                                  > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
                                  > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
                                  > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
                                  > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
                                  > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
                                  In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
                                  personality construct in combination with network analysis to
                                  understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
                                  interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
                                  interpreting team interaction dynamics.

                                  Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
                                  London, SAGE.

                                  In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
                                  Personality Item Pool <http://ipip.ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
                                  constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
                                  analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
                                  literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
                                  regards to my research.

                                  cheerz!
                                  steve

                                  Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@...
                                  Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
                                  Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
                                  School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
                                  Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
                                  http://www.ics.uci.edu/~sabrams
                                • Laurie Lock Lee
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                                    Thanks for this Bob, I can see a place for developing and sharing value network analyses with this tool. Do you know if there is a way to import ONA maps/data into the tool? I see the power of the tool could be in the interpretive discussions that could be shared around an ONA/VNA.

                                    Laurence Lock Lee

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Feb 20, 2007

                                      Looks interesting…I gave it a go, a bit like a Myers Briggs. I have an interest in Networking as a competency. I’ve been collecting material over the years but would now like to develop some form of survey instrument that might assess someone’s “Networking Competency”. I am looking to follow along the lines of Ron Burt’s proposition around brokers and bridges, so I’m looking for questions that might expose how much of a broker/bridge one might be.

                                      LLL

                                      Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Feb 23, 2007
                                        Laurence,

                                        AFAIK, CMap Tools only imports from Text, CMap-related formats, and XML, so I don't think there is any direct way to import from ONA maps/data. Certainly, the collaborative development opportunities are immense.

                                        I would refer you to the CMap Tools web site for further information.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 4, 2007

                                          Hi, Bob,

                                          Thanks for the pointer to CMap. It had never occurred to me to try to use those to create simple network maps! I did try them out, but was a little frustrated that I couldn’t figure out how to draw links without having to put text in them. CMap wants all the lines labeled, or it seems to. Is there a way to put in a link between nodes without typing in a label (or blanking the label out, which leaves a gap in the line)?