Re: network density

  • steffenmazanek
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2006
      Giancarlo, thank you for your elaborated response. I have to think
      about it and will follow up soon.

      Best regards,
      Steffen

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Giancarlo Oriani"
      <giancarlo.oriani@...> wrote:

      > Dear Steffen,
      > your question is very interesting.
      > We can use different kinds of overall network indicators, the most
      interesting of them being probably density, cohesion (average of
      distances between any pairs) and E/I.
      > Each of them cannot be evaluated simply.
      > Let's discuss just density.
      > First of all, for valued relationhips, we need "some assumptions
      about the maximum possible value" (Scott, 2000). But we can have this
      assumption, for we are who define the response scale.
      > Second, being people able to manage a limited numbers of ties, we
      expect density to decrease as network size is increasing. Generally,
      network density decreases if actor degrees remain unchanged.
      > Consequently, it is very difficult to compare density indicators of
      different network. But we should try. Cross reminds that "when you
      interpret network density you must either relate groups of similar
      size or determine an ideal network pattern depending on the objectives
      of the group". I believe that also the latter one depends on
      information about similar networks.
      > If you have a look at the case studies published on Cross's web
      site, you can see that the density target, based on his "Network
      Roundtable high performer benchmark database" is generally somewhere
      between 10 and 20. Unfortunately, you cannot use it, as he is not
      talking about gaming community.