slick tools for ONA survey administration

  • brucehoppe
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 3:07 PM
      Hi ONA-prackers,

      Some time ago I created an Excel spreadsheet to help automate the process of collecting network survey data and feeding it into  SNA software. You can see more here .

      Graham Durant-Law  very kindly offered some suggestions to improve on this spreadsheet tool. Not only that, he created a new and much improved version of the spreadsheet tool. I have just posted it to the Yahoo groups files  as "ONA survey system v2.zip"

      The new system is much more automated and bullet-proof than my original version. Unfortunately, neither Graham nor I have yet included the "California Computer" data set (of Krackhardt & Hansen HBR fame)  into the new version of the spreadsheet. If you want to try your hand at analyzing that data, then I still recommend you look up the original spreadsheet, which has that data set built in, along with links to the HBR article, so you can be a serious armchair SNA quarterback.

      Those with more heavy-duty data collection needs will also appreciate the open-source SurveyMonkey template available here. This requires more front-end setup but ultimatelhy provides the easiest most scalable means of network data collection I have seen.

      Thanks Graham for sharing your spreadsheet improvements! Note that the online survey tool includes improvements suggested by Patti Anklam.  I welcome others also to contribute improvements to these tools.

      Best regards,
      Bruce

    • Andrew Rixon
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 10:58 PM

        Dear All,

        We’ve learnt that for SNA to be effective in group situations there is real value in preparing people for what they may see within typical social network maps.

        I’ve just blogged the “hubs and bridges expectations warm-up” as one of our sensemaking processes useful for such preparation. This warm up activity aims to prepare groups for sensemaking in a productive and non-confrontational way. Read more on the link below:

        http://www.anecdote.com.au/archives/2006/08/an_sna_sensemak.html

        I hope this is helpful, and I invite any comments, feedback or thoughts.

        Warm regards,

        Andrew

        --
        Andrew Rixon PhD
        Director

      • Bruce Hoppe
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 6:23 AM

          Thanks for sharing this, Andrew. I agree that set-up is key. I noticed that you make a reference in step #1 to experiential sociometric “networks in action” exercises. I am a big fan of these kinds of activities and am curious if you squeeze that into the allotted 5-7 minutes of step 1 (as stated in the post). My warm-up presentations typically devote much more time to this experiential part.

          I think another good ingredient to a safe and productive warm up comes from the work of Burt and Ronchi. In the participative context above, their work adds a notion of “this will help me, not just my boss, to succeed.”

           -B

[...]

          Email: andrew@anecdote. com.au

        • Andrew Rixon
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2 3:49 PM

            Thanks Bruce, great to hear your experience also.

            Like all recipes, different cooks find different ways to express themselves. J

            Yesterday I was chatting with a colleague about a simple warmup game that also might be great. Coming from the improv arena she calls it “Sun” and “Moon”. We call it “Friends” and “Enemies”.

            In this game you first ask people to secretly choose a person in the room to be a friend, and an enemy (a sun and a moon if you prefer those better).

            Then invite everyone to move around be sure to:

            1. place your friend between you and your enemy OBSERVE the dynamics in the room

            2. place yourself between your friend and enemy OBSERVE the dynamics in the room

            Debrief.

            This is a great little game which takes about 3-5 minutes to play. AND provides a great intro to complex systems thinking too. J

            I agree totally with the power of spending as much time as you can in the experiential realm AND the “this will help me, not just my boss, to succeed”.

            Warm regards,

            Andrew

            --
            Andrew Rixon PhD