cooperation with workers' council

  • steffenmazanek
    Message 1 of 9 , May 13, 2006
      Hello again,

      I have just read the article on the ethics of SNA/ONA by
      Borgatti/Molina
      (http://www.analytictech.com/borgatti/papers/ethics2005.pdf).

      Thinking about their proposal, that innocence can be avoided by
      providing sufficient information about the analysis to the
      participants, I came up with an idea: Why not include the workers'
      council right from the start? For example the questionnaire could be
      designed together with representatives of the target group. And to
      build up trust these representatives could be invited to the
      meetings with the management.

      What do you think about this? Not inform, but involve!

      Do you have any experiences with this approach?

      Steffen Mazanek

      informatik-praxis.blogspot.com (in German)
    • Giancarlo Oriani
      Message 2 of 9 , May 14, 2006
        I was told that in Germany someone has already experienced workers' council involvement. It is probably consistent with country culture.
        In Italy I had not such experience (at least till now).
        Moreover, in order to reduce the possibility of opportunistic answers, I prefer to clarify objectives and scope of the study, to draw a disclosure agreement, but not to design the questionnaire with someone else (but the HR Director or other sponsor).
        I really appreciate to know others' experience on this subject, since I think it is fundamental for ONA success.
        Giancarlo Oriani

        Message 3 of 9 , May 14, 2006
          I'd love to see some links on narrative capture - I'm working on a paper on that right now. Diana brings up a very important point. The question about the participants is always - what's in it for them? (not just to particpate, but to do so honestly and believing in the value of doing so.)

          thanks
          Kathleen
          Message 4 of 9 , May 14, 2006

            Hi Steffen,

            I think there is power in a participatory approach.

            I have blogged about this in a few different guises.

            1. “How do you design your survey questions”: http://www.anecdote.com.au/archives/2005/11/how_do_you_desi.html
            2. “SNA Sensemaking” : http://www.anecdote.com.au/archives/2006/05/sna_sensemaking.html

            As I mentioned in the 3 big problems (http://www.anecdote.com.au/archives/2006/04/3_big_problems.html) I think this approach also helps to ‘tame the expert mindset’. Opening the space for (potentially?) more creativity and innovation, not to mention impact from the SNA.

            Warm regards,
            Andrew

            --
            Andrew Rixon PhD
            Director

              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2006
                Andrew, thank you. I have already found your site and read many of the writings. I love the way you have combined ONA with anecdote circles in a complete process. I also really appreciate the clarity of the writing on the site, and the practical approach you have taken. (Some of the Bizz narrative stuff I have read gets quite comlex and esoteric :-)

                Such interesting work that you are doing.

                Best regards
                Kathleen Marvin

                Message 7 of 9 , May 14, 2006
                  One of the approaches worth exploring is of mass narrative capture.
                  You're Diana, the 'meaningless question in a meaningless context'
                  dilema has broad implications for analysis/audits/scans of any type.

                  Capturing narrative brings much more relevence, and is also more
                  relevent and engaging for the 'teller' as well. There's proof-points
                  emerging that retiring employees are far more willing to recount
                  contextual accounts and experiences, than fill out forms, reports or
                  complete 'best practice' before retiring.
                  (I've got a great tale from one of our Ministries over here, who had
                  tried to do this :-)

                  Steffan, Diana, there's a few links on narrative capture the web on
                  this - by all means have a gander, or contact me direct,

                  Cheers & best regards,

                  Alistair

                  --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Diana Jones" <dianaj@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Steffen, the approach you are suggesting is the orginal approach
                  of Jacob
                  > Moreno is his early applications of sociometry and the exploration
                  of the
                  > informal networks in groups.
                  >
                  > Essentially the question or criteria being researched needs to be of
                  > significance and relevance to the group members involved, rather
                  than being
                  > a question managers or researcher are interested in.
                  >
                  > More recently there is a skew in SNA and ONA research where the
                  purpose of
                  > the analysis or exploration is not necessarily to benefit those
                  > participating, but may be for managerial information, or for the
                  researcher,
                  > or for the benefit of some third party. And yes, this sits firmly
                  in ethical
                  > practice which Borgatti and Molena grapple with in their paper.
                  >
                  > This skew, that the purpose of the sna or ona is not for direct
                  benefit to
                  > the group members, means that the real informal networks are not
                  being
                  > displayed. A bi tlike being in analysis without utilising any
                  context.

                  > The dilemma then presents itself how do we gain buyin and
                  permissions with
                  > large groups (of 100's and 1000's) to use the data, and findings,
                  and
                  > display the sociograms, from everyone in the group being worked
                  with? We are
                  > yet to grapple well with this area, however it has sizable
                  implications for
                  > the relevance of the research and findings we are working with.
                  >

                  > regards, Diana Jones
                  > www.sociometry.co.nz

                  11/05/2006

                • Andrew Rixon
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 15, 2006
                    Hi Kathleen,

                    One of the techniques which we use for narrative capture is called
                    an 'Anecdote Circle'.

                    Anecdote circles are a facilitated process which typically work for 4-
                    12 people. The facilitation approach follows that of 'complex
                    facilitation' - if you are familiar with Open Space, then the theory
                    of how that works also utilises 'complex facilitation' approaches.
                    Essentially it is about the power of self-organisation in social
                    systems.

                    Searching for "Anecdote circles" you can find our writings here:

                    http://www.anecdote.com.au/cgi-bin/mt-search.cgi?
                    IncludeBlogs=2&search=anecdote+circles

                    I hope that's helpful for you. This is one of my passions, let me know
                    if I can help more!

                    Warm regards,
                    Andrew

                    --
                    Andrew Rixon PhD
                    Director
                    Anecdote Pty Ltd
                    Email: andrew@...

                    > I'd love to see some links on narrative capture - I'm working on a
                    paper on that right now. Diana brings up a very important point. The
                    question about the participants is always - what's in it for them?
                    (not just to particpate, but to do so honestly and believing in the
                    value of doing so.)

                    > thanks
                    > Kathleen

                    Terms of

                    --
                  • Alistair Gibbons
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2006
                      Hi there Kathleen,

                      here are some ilnks that I've found useful,

                      www.si.mahidol.ac.th/km/kmsinet/just_in_KM2.pdf
                      www.knowledgeboard.com/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=1602
                      www.cynefin.net/kbase
                      www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m4339/is_2_22/ai_76668294