Using ONA to predict relationships or areas of interest

  • guru42k
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4, 2006
      I'm semi-retired and spending considerable time brainstorming with a
      fellow who suggests he thinks we should be able to use ONA
      concepts/technologies where the goal is to be able to approach a
      C-level person without getting completely boxed in/out by his/her
      "gatekeepers".

      If I ask "is that feasible/practical" it would not be surprising to
      get widely ranging answers that basically say "NO WAY" to "where there
      is a will there is always a way".

      So my question is not "is it feasible" but rather "does anyone know of
      experiments or projects" where ONA concepts/technologies have been
      used to build what many would call a "penetration strategy"? My
      colleague is strongly in favor of not reinventing if existing
      work/wisdom/processes exist.

      Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice/comments you care to share.

      Dave Nuttall
      San Antonio, TX
    • Seth Earley
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2006

        My opinion would be that this would not be an appropriate use of the approach.   I would also think it impractical.

        Seth

        Seth Earley

        Earley & Associates, Inc

        781-444-0287

        781-820-8080 cell

        Next taxo conference call May 31st, 2 PM EST
        "To Google or Not to Google"

        Registration and agenda at www.earley.com

        Taxonomy Community of Practice

        Taxonomy Community Wiki

        http://taxocop.wikispaces.com

        Social Network Analysis Community of Practice

[...]

      • Victoria G. Axelrod
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2006
          You might find Visible Path software a solution to your "penetration strategy" http://www.visiblepath.com/solutions.htm.  Their target is the sales organization.

          Linkedin http://www.linkedin.com/ is frequently used to find connections into key decision makers.  As with any backdoor approach, overuse and misuse will only create more barriers, especially if the connections and value proposition are weak.

          Victoria G. Axelrod
          Principal
          Axelrod-Becker Consulting
          445 East 86th Street
          New York, NY 10028
          212 - 369 -2885
          www.axelrodbecker.com
          21st Century Organization blog http://c21org.typepad.com/

          Message 4 of 6 , May 5, 2006
            Dave:
            I am not sure what precisely you mean by a "penetration strategy", but if it
            is similar in context to a sales or account strategy then I think that there
            can be a role for ONA, though it's not a primary one.

            In prior jobs (before I came over from the "dark side") I spent 20 years
            running sales and marketing for two small software companies that sold to
            the financial services industry. In any complex sales process, you increase
            your probability of winning by building a network of influencers and
            decision makers inside your prospect. Any good sales training methodology
            stresses the value of creating and managing these relationships throughout
            the sales process. In many cases members of this network will be in the
            C-suite (though I think that their influence and ability to make the deal
            happen are often overrated) and you need to get them into the process.

            So what's the role of ONA techniques? Well first you need to have a solid
            sales strategy and apply it appropriately to the target account. Executing
            the sales plan improves the probability of close. Understanding networks
            gives you a way to bypass the gatekeepers into the C-suite - you make the
            right connections, continually building a map of who knows who in the
            company. If you build solid, trusting relationships you can often use
            someone else in the target company to get you past the gatekeeper. A good
            example of leveraging their social capital.

            A large, multidivisional company used ONA to map out the relationships
            between all of their divisions and a key target organization. In the
            process they not only uncovered hidden connections into senior execs, but
            they also created a cross divisional, collaborative selling process that was
            significantly more effective than each division trying to sell on their own.

            But remember, ONA is only a tool and its success in getting you into the
            C-suite will be dependent on having an excellent sales strategy, a solid
            account plan, and a relationship-oriented sales team.

            Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions

            Regards,

            Nat Welch
            ONAPrac Co-Moderator

[...]

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Alistair Gibbons
            Message 5 of 6 , May 8, 2006
              I'd say this WOULD work - isn't this the type of function that
              Linkedin, etc. provides ?

              --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "guru42k" <dnuttall@...> wrote:

              > I'm semi-retired and spending considerable time brainstorming with
              > fellow who suggests he thinks we should be able to use ONA
              > concepts/technologies where the goal is to be able to approach a
              > C-level person without getting completely boxed in/out by his/her
              > "gatekeepers".
              >
              > If I ask "is that feasible/practical" it would not be surprising to
              > get widely ranging answers that basically say "NO WAY" to "where
              there
              > is a will there is always a way".
              >
              > So my question is not "is it feasible" but rather "does anyone
              know of
              > experiments or projects" where ONA concepts/technologies have been
              > used to build what many would call a "penetration strategy"? My
              > colleague is strongly in favor of not reinventing if existing
              > work/wisdom/processes exist.
              >
              > Thanks in advance for any pointers/advice/comments you care to
              share.

              > Dave Nuttall
              > San Antonio, TX

            • brucehoppe
              Message 6 of 6 , May 10, 2006
                Hi ONA-prac,

                First I want to say how great it is to see such good questions and responses being generated by this group.

                Adding my two cents to Dave's question about using ONA to penetrate the C-suite:
                • I strongly agree with Victoria's posts (both of which came through, thanks) that this is precisely what Visible Path aims to do. They seem to be making an awfully good business of it btw.
                • It might help us all frame this question better if we recognize that "ONA" is not a good term for what Visible Path is about. "SNA" is much more relevant. Visible Path specifically avoids making any claims about helping organizations internally. All they do is help you find the "best" introduction to your desired C-suite "penetration target." There are good reasons we are using "ONA" in this group but discussing Visible Path type applications is not one of them.

                 -Bruce