809RE: [ona-prac] Re: End of Value Networks

  • John Maloney
    May 11, 2011

      Hi Laurie – Yes, of course.

      “The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." – Mark Twain

      The method, technique, research, content, tools and body of practice of VN/VNA remains intact, growing and ongoing in myriad forms and modalities.

      However, VNLLC was specifically conceived to scale VN/VNA via SaaS and social media in a venture-backed, software startup model. It didn’t work for a lot of reasons and is terminated.

      The End of Value Networks is not intended to be pejorative. Rather, it is really just a important learning milestone. The big VNLLC mistake was leading with method at the expense of customer development. It is is the main take-away.

      I predict many future mutations of VN/VNA both in technology, integration and deployments. The simpler and more transparent, the better for widespread adoption.

      Again, practitioners need to strive to wall-off research in favor of customer development and product management. Since these behaviors are orthogonal to research, it is best for VN/VNA/ONA/SNA practitioners and SMEs to deliberately seek out interpreters. Surround yourselves with qualified business management talent. Don’t underestimate how difficult this activity is.

      In NorCal there is a frenzy of startup activity. The leading model is Lean Startup.

      The main and only startup rule is a ferocious, radical customer focus. Allow customers, not methods or techniques, to determine outcomes. Method rumination and refinement is fine, but as VNLLC painfully found out, fine-grain, out-of-the-building, adjacent customer development is really all that matters.

      Cheers,

      John