      From: Laurence Lock Lee
      Sent: Aug 16, 2009 7:36 PM
      To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ona-prac] How would you use ONA in this situation?

      Hi Patti … I got an idea from Richard McDermott many years ago around doing a “live SNA”. The idea is you get people to nominate important topics of interest, select a few (depending on the size of the group) and then in a large space get the nominators to stand equidistant apart (like poles) and then have the rest of the people place themselves physically close to the poles of greatest interest. When they have divided interest they stand part way … so what you end up with is a spatially developed live affinity network. Richard warned that there is always at least one pole left without any “friends” so you give that person a chance to state their case for why their topic is important. The group can re-arrange based on this if they so desire.

      I’ve done this a few time now and its always fun. I like the way that the “lonely” pole always seems to happen and they always speak passionately about their topic. I also respond to those who invariably have trouble locating themselves amongst all these competing interests is that they are simply experiencing what happens in real life! We often make commitments to support communities that in the end we can’t do justice to. Some will fade through lack of a core group and others will thrive because of the depth of interest. It’s a great conversation starter and start to a “new” organisation.

      rgds

      Laurence Lock Lee PhD

      Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd

      Ph: +61 (0)407001628