711How would you use ONA in this situation?

    Aug 16, 2009

      I am subscribed to OD questions on LinkedIn. This question came up two days ago:

      Icebreaker ideas? I recently was asked to take on a statewide management role, after managing a region for three years. Just this week, the company itself went through a painful staff reduction (thus resulting in my new role). Tomorrow, I will meet with staff from one of my new regions for the first time. They all know each other well, and know me a little. I'd like to start the meeting with an icebreaker to get to know them a little better (and them, me), but don't want it to feel too hokey, nor do I want it to take a long time. Any suggestions for something light?

      I dashed off this response:

      I never thought about using a network analysis in a situation like this, but it might be interesting. What happens in a downsizing is that the network loses a number of "nodes," that is, links are broken. It might be interesting to draw the network (depending on the number of people) of the group -- who works with who most frequently. Maybe include the people who've left and see what happens to the network when these people are taken out.

      You could also look at the outside connections that are lost -- the people who are gone may have had valuable contacts they were able to access for specific needs. Perhaps brainstorm about how the new group is going to make sure that it can develop its network to replace the people who are missing.

      Anyone else have thoughts?  Have you managed this kind of situation using simple mapping exercises?

      Patti Anklam

      Net Work: Leveraging Content, Knowledge and Networks

      Harvard, MA 01451

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic