595RE: [ona-prac] Assistance Needed: Ideas & Experts Knowledge Network Metrics?

  • Laurence Lock Lee
    Sep 11 3:46 PM

      Hi Craig,

      Since this is an ONA practice group were you intending to use any ONA metrics? In terms of engagement you will get a sense of this by looking at the core periphery patterns you might have from an ONA study. Even better if you can get it over time. From what I can tell you are looking to use information repository use as a metric. I find these metrics of moderate use. As Vanessa intimates, the collaborative metrics are probably the most useful as they intimate tacit knowledge sharing levels, which in my experience is a major success criteria for any KM program. You might want to explore the use of Net Mining techniques for generating metrics from on-line ONA studies.  This makes studying communities over time easier and less intrusive.

      You may want to have a look at this study we completed recently which measures community benefits from wiki participation using net mining and traditional survey methods of measure:  http://www.optimice.com.au/documents/WikiMiningWikiNetworksWikinomics.pdf

      rgds

      Laurence Lock Lee PhD

      Partner, Optimice Pty Ltd

      Ph: +61 (0)407001628