471Re: Greetings - Another perspective on Human Terrain Mapping

  • Peter Gadzinski
    Dec 2, 2007
      I agree that applying SNA and anthropological insights to the task of
      sorting out actors in a real world environment is a step forward in
      DOD thinking and represents the growing importance of thinking about
      winning in "cognitive space" as well as establishing mastery in
      physical space (sometimes, the two are contradictory). Another
      perspective on this effort arises from formal opposition to
      participation on the part of some U.S. anthropologists as they
      consider some of the HTM techniques to be unethical. Agree or not,
      you have to conclude that applying SNA is not simply an academic
      exercise.

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Pastore" <bg_rva@...> wrote:

      > Valdis,
      >
      > I did see that article and I think it is a very good indicator of
      > SNA's acceptance within the DOD. I wasn't aware of that effor nor
      do
      > I know what software they are using - wish I did though.
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mike,
      > >
      > > Have you seen the write-up on "human terrain teams" in WIRED?
      > >
      > > Where you involved with this effort?
      > >
      > > > Each team is getting a half-dozen laptops, a satellite dish
      and
      > > > software for social network analysis, so they can diagram how
      all
      > of
      > > > the important players in an area are connected. Digital
      > timelines
      > > > will mark key cultural and political events. Mapmaking programs
      > will
      > > > plot out the economic, ethnic and tribal landscape.
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/28utez
      > >
      > > A quick, easy and portable network recording device is a great
      > idea...
      > > something like a Palm or Treo or iPhone to quickly record: X is
      > > connected to Y via work and Y and Z are brothers. Then dump all
      > of
      > > that into the SNA data base to see larger patterns.
      > >
      > > Valdis
      > >

      > > On Nov 30, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
      > >
      > > > Valdis,
      > > >
      > > > I could not agree with you more about the intel community no
      being
      > > > more aware of what is already available commercially and in
      > > > academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to
      > close
      > > > the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).
      > > >
      > > > As for the meaning of "successful", I must qualify my
      perspective
      > as
      > > > that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
      > > > mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
      > > > architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when
      > the
      > > > products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on
      time,
      > and
      > > > were still growing in use when I left: that is successful
      > software.
      > > > My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want
      > see
      > > > the bigger picture.
      > > >
      > > > Mike

      > did