      Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 11:27 AM
      Subject: RE: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

      Mike: since you've been involved with software development I wanted to reply to your post.  I also work developers, and my dissertation was on SNA with Raytheon Company (defense electronics) , but in particular, SNA for an IT department.  Raytheon does ONA as part of their Professional Services Division, here's a link if interested.  (See "Catalyst Engagement" a bit down on the page):

      http://www.raytheon .com/businesses/ rps/our_capabili ties/pc/index. html

      Paul Burton, Ph.D.
      Raytheon Company

      PBurton3@hotmail. com

      c: 972-670-2852

      To: ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com
      From: bg_rva@yahoo. com
      Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:30:39 +0000
      Subject: [ona-prac] Re: Greetings

      Valdis,

      I could not agree with you more about the intel community no being
      more aware of what is already available commercially and in
      academia. Working in a physically closed environment tends to close
      the mind as well, (one of the reasons I had to leave).

      As for the meaning of "successful" , I must qualify my perspective as
      that of a software developer. Regarding the software products I
      mentioned: I was responsible for many of the key ideas, the
      architecture, look and feel, and technical leadership. So when the
      products exceeded customer expectations, were delivered on time, and
      were still growing in use when I left: that is successful software.
      My software-centric view of the world is another reason I want to see
      the bigger picture.

      Mike

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Valdis Krebs <valdis@...> wrote:

      > Welcome Mike!
      >
      > I am somewhat surprised that you folks "behind the green door" did
      not
      > examine what was done commercially and in academia. It is easy
      for
      > you to see what we are doing... plenty of info available on plenty
      of
      > web sites and good ol' Google. Also, curious about what defines a
      > successful SNA app in the black world ... I realize you may not be
      > permitted to answer that question.
      >
      > Valdis
      >

      > On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:44 AM, Michael Pastore wrote:
      >
      > > Hello all,
      > >
      > > I am a newbie to ONA and would like to introduce myself.
      > >
      > > I am a sofware developer who recently came out of the "black
      world"
      > > where I created several successful SNA applications. Now that I
      am
      > > free, I want to get an understanding of how SNA is used outside
      of the
      > > intel space. I am looking forward to seeing the bigger picture
      of its
      > > applicability and apply ! this to new network analysis software
      > > projects.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > Mike

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic