      From: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com on behalf of Patti Anklam
      Sent: Sun 11/11/2007 6:04 PM
      To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [ona-prac] Re: Link Analysis versus Social Network Analysis

      I don't think I knew that Gerry story, but I like it. We named this group ONA-PRAC so that we could distinguish ourselves from the greater world of social network analysis - which does deal with epidemiology and other sociological applications. When I make this distinction in presentations, I emphasize that ONA is a subset of the larger practice of social network analysis - we want to look at people in organizations (mostly business organizations). The tools and the methods are essentially the same, but as Valdis says, the word "social" carries a lot of connotations so ONA sometimes works better.