456Re: [ona-prac] Re: Link Analysis versus Social Network Analysis

    Nov 11, 2007
      As I think I posted here last year, or maybe Patti did, ONA was
      created by Gerry Falkowski, when his IBM clients [both internal and
      external, squirmed at the word "social" -- "we're business people,
      what does that have to do with social?" was one of the infamous
      quotes. So he changed the wording -- and nothing else -- and started
      lining up ONA clients left and right. This was back in the mid
      1990s. I remember the conversation when he told me... pretty funny.

      When I took grad courses @ Mich State from the Comm Dept in network
      analysis -- it was called just that -- "network analysis", once in a
      while you heard "communication network analysis". But plain network
      analysis soon got associated with computer networks, so people
      started adding a descriptor up front.

      Valdis

      On Nov 11, 2007, at 3:44 PM, philrjones wrote:

      > For that matter what makes SNA and / or ONA distinctive from Network
      > Analysis? Is it purely to do with the goal of the analysis - insight
      > into social systems and organisations, or are there more fundamental
      > attributes?
      >
      > Phil
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic