      From: Cai Kjaer
      Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:21 PM
      Subject: [!! SPAM] [ona-prac] Using average number of degrees as an indicator

      Hello all,

      Just wanted to see how many of you capture the average number of degrees for the nodes in a network? I have been re-reading the book on SNA and Pajek (http://www.amazon. com/Exploratory- Network-Analysis -Structural- Sciences/ dp/0521602629). In the book, de Nooy suggests that density isn’t a good measure as you can’t really compare between networks of different sizes, and recommends average degree as a better measure for comparing networks .

      Has anyone collected that’s on average degrees? Should/could we as practitioners build up some benchmarking data on this and share?

      Kind regards

      Cai Kjaer, Partner

      Optimice Pty. Ltd.

      Phone: +61 411 569 694