      From: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ona-prac@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Abrams
      Sent: Wednesday, 21 February 2007 5:55 AM
      To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

      On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:24 PM, philrjones wrote:
      > I'd like to turn the question around a little and ask whether you know
      > of any work where personality characteristics have been collected for
      > all members of the network (or maybe just the more central / important
      > ones) and subsequently used successfully as an integral part of the
      > ONA / SNA to understand the likely strengths and weaknesses of an
      > organisation, particularly when it's under pressure. As opposed to
      > those characteristics being collected simply to examine a scientific
      > hypothesis, for example, whether they are correlated with SNA metrics.
      In Kilduff and Tsai (2003), they describe using the "self-monitoring"
      personality construct in combination with network analysis to
      understand an organization. In my own research into distributed team
      interaction, I've found this construct to be very useful in
      interpreting team interaction dynamics.

      Kilduff, M. and W. Tsai (2003). Social networks and organizations.
      London, SAGE.

      In a related note, just fyi, I've also found the International
      Personality Item Pool <http://ipip. ori.org/ipip/> invaluable in
      constructing surveys to assess personality items in my network
      analyses ... invaluable because items provide references to the
      literature. That helps me to assess the value of an item with
      regards to my research.

      cheerz!
      steve

      Steve Abrams, PhD Candidate | Fingers: sabrams@ics. uci.edu
      Interactive and | Eyes: 274 ICS2
      Collaborative Technologies | Mouth: (949)824-3301
      School of Information and Computer Sciences, Dept. Informatics
      Irvine, CA 92697-3425 | AIM/YIM/Skype: ucisteveabrams
      http://www.ics. uci.edu/~ sabrams

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic