346Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

  • stevenfleck2006
    Jan 8, 2007
      In addition to the Mehra et al article, there are also a few other
      papers that show relationships between personal characteristics and
      network position.

      Kalish & Robbins (2006) found that people who have an internal locus
      of control (i.e., they see themselves as being in control of what
      happens to them), and see themselves as individualists, tend to have
      more and stronger structural holes in their ego networks. Another
      interesting aspect of this study is the triad census method they use.
      This enables them to unpack the aspects of people's ego networks in
      more detail than the more global network measures Burt and Mehra et
      al use.

      Klein at al (2004) looked at the relationship between personality
      characteristics and centrality in teams. They found that people who
      were high in emotional stability were more central in advice and
      friendship networks, and less central in adversarial networks.

      We (SHL) are also very interested in exploring the relationships
      between personal characteristics and networks. We are in the process
      of conducting this work at the moment, so I haven't got anything
      concrete to share at the moment. But the results do seem to point in
      the same direction as the research published so far.

      As Paul points out, these issues go to the heart of exploring how
      sociology and psychology contribute to explaining behaviour. But as
      it is such an under explored area, there are lots of questions to be
      resolved. As more work is done, I suspect we will find that there are
      certain circumstances when personality shapes social structure and
      others when it's the other way around. For example, stable, deep-
      seated traits are probably unlikely to be affected by network
      characteristics that are temporary or weak. On the other hand, more
      transient traits may be expected to be affected by stronger, enduring
      or very salient network characteristics.

      Regarding research on MBTI and networks, it may be that because this
      is a personality type measure, which looks at broad collections of
      personal characteristics, it isn't detailed enough to capture
      relations with networks. The personality trait measures used in other
      research is more focused, so perhaps that is why they find such

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroups.com, Paul Burton <PBurton3@...> wrote:
      > I think Burt & Ronchi stayed away from the personality components
      in their analysis, but I need to re-read that article. Indeed, the
      combination of the structuralist (social network) position and
      personality dimensions needs more work. They are such antithetical
      positions; the sociologists vs the psychologist....it's the structure
      that enables action; no, it's the personality. Of course it's a
      combination of the two.
      > I'll pass this by some other Raytheon colleagues and get their
      > Paul Burton
      > Program Management, Enterprise Applications
      > Raytheon Company
      > PBurton3@...
      > To: ona-prac@...: valdis@...: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -
      0500Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA
      > Interesting... Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
      execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.By the teaching
      execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits of that], did
      this increase their self-monitoring behavior???From the Brass article
      it appears that high self-monitors would choose positions surrounded
      by structural holes, which is what Burt ad Ronchi advised...
      hmmm.Here is the Mehra/Kilduff/Brass article...http://
      www.personal.psu.edu/mxk6/selfmon.pdfHere is the Burt/Ronchi
      TESSC.pdfValdisOn Jan 7, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Paul Burton wrote:>
      Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff, >
      M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self >
      Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science >
      Quarterly 46, 121-146. Abstract below:>> Examines how different
      personality types create and benefit from > social networks. Tested
      how self-monitoring orientation and network > position related to
      work performance. High self monitors were more > likely than low self
      monitors to occupy central positions in a > network. For high self
      monitors, longer service (tenure) related to > the occupancy of
      strategically advantageous network positions. > Third, self-
      monitoring and centrality in social networks > independently
      predicted individual's workplace performance. The > results paint a
      picture of people shaping the networks that > constrain and enable
      performance.>> Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise
      ApplicationsRaytheon > CompanyPBurton3@...>
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic