      To: ona-prac@yahoogroups.com
      From: valdis@...
      Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 15:47:51 -0500
      Subject: Re: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

      Interesting. .. Ron Burt and Don Ronchi did a study about teaching
      execs about social capital... I think @ Raytheon.

      By the teaching execs to be aware of social capital [and the benefits
      of that], did this increase their self-monitoring behavior???

      From the Brass article it appears that high self-monitors would
      choose positions surrounded by structural holes, which is what Burt
      ad Ronchi advised... hmmm.

      Here is the Mehra/Kilduff/ Brass article...
      http://www.personal .psu.edu/ mxk6/selfmon. pdf

      Here is the Burt/Ronchi article...
      http://faculty. chicagogsb. edu/ronald. burt/research/ TESSC.pdf

      Valdis

      On Jan 7, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Paul Burton wrote:

      > Regarding personality and network measures, see Mehra, A., Kilduff,
      > M & Brass, D. (2001): The Social Networks of High and Low Self
      > Monitors: Implications for Workplace Performance. Admin Science
      > Quarterly 46, 121-146. Abstract below:
      >
      > Examines how different personality types create and benefit from
      > social networks. Tested how self-monitoring orientation and network
      > position related to work performance. High self monitors were more
      > likely than low self monitors to occupy central positions in a
      > network. For high self monitors, longer service (tenure) related to
      > the occupancy of strategically advantageous network positions.
      > Third, self-monitoring and centrality in social networks
      > independently predicted individual's workplace performance. The
      > results paint a picture of people shaping the networks that
      > constrain and enable performance.
      >
      > Paul BurtonProgram Management, Enterprise ApplicationsRaytheo n
      > CompanyPBurton3@ hotmail.com

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic