      Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:52 PM
      Subject: [ona-prac] Re: Ego/personal networks and ONA

      Steven,

      These are interesting articles concerning the collection of data for,
      and the treatment of, personal network analysis:
      1) http://www.insna. org/Connections- Web/Volume26- 2/8.McCartyWutic h.pdf
      2) http://www.insna. org/Connections- Web/Volume26- 1/5.Lonkila. pdf

      In addition, the following website is very useful for extending ego-
      networks to wider networks:

      http://www.responde ntdrivensampling .org

      A question for you: I see SHL performs various assessment tests. Have
      you created tests that combine the measurement of personal
      characteristics and of connectedness? Is there any type of
      correlation that you might have found between the two?

      Happy holidays to all,
      Joseph

      --- In ona-prac@yahoogroup s.com, Steven Fleck <steven.fleck@ ...>
      wrote:

      > SHL Logo <http://www.shlgroup .com/emailfiles/ shllogo.gif>
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have a few questions about using an personal (ego) network
      approach for
      > ONA work. At least from what I have seen, most of the focus of
      > organisational applications of network analysis is on whole
      networks, where
      > data is collected from all/most members of a group or organisation.
      I think
      > there is also a lot of potential in using a personal network
      approach (where
      > each person nominates their most important contacts, and then
      indicates
      > relations between them). While many of the traditional network
      metrics are
      > obviously not available with this type of data, it can tell us
      about the
      > types of relations a person has, and the structure of his or her
      immediate
      > web of relations. This type of information can be very valuable
      when working
      > with participants as individuals. An additional advantage of
      personal
      > network data is that it doesn't require both a meaningfully defined
      group of
      > participants or a high response rate.
      >
      > I have recently done some work with a group of managers, where we
      collected
      > this type of network data. We then fed back information about their
      personal
      > networks to the managers, as part of a broader leadership
      development
      > programme. The resulting developments and action points had an
      impact both
      > at the individual and at the business-unit level. It would be very
      > interesting to hear if others have used personal network data for
      any kind
      > of organisation or personal development work, or have any thoughts
      on how to
      > do this.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Steven
      >

      > Steven Fleck
      > Senior Research Psychologist
      >

      > Direct:
      > Main:
      > Fax:
      >

      > Email:
      > Web:
      >
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8108
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 8000
      > + 44 (0) 20 8335 7000
      >

      > Steven.Fleck@ ... <mailto:Steven. Fleck@... >
      > www.shl.com <http://www.shl. com>
      >
      > SHL Group Plc, The Pavilion, 1 Atwell Place, Thames Ditton, Surrey,
      KT7 0NE,
      > England.
      >
      > Footer Curve <http://www.shlgroup .com/emailfiles/ lbb.gif>
      >
      > This email is confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.
      > If you are not an addressee please promptly notify the sender and
      delete the
      > message; do not use the content in any other way.

      > This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security
      System.