292RE: [ona-prac] An SNA Sensemaking Activity

  • Andrew Rixon
    Aug 2, 2006

      Thanks Bruce, great to hear your experience also.

      Like all recipes, different cooks find different ways to express themselves. J

      Yesterday I was chatting with a colleague about a simple warmup game that also might be great. Coming from the improv arena she calls it “Sun” and “Moon”. We call it “Friends” and “Enemies”.

      In this game you first ask people to secretly choose a person in the room to be a friend, and an enemy (a sun and a moon if you prefer those better).

      Then invite everyone to move around be sure to:

      1. place your friend between you and your enemy OBSERVE the dynamics in the room

      2. place yourself between your friend and enemy OBSERVE the dynamics in the room

      Debrief.

      This is a great little game which takes about 3-5 minutes to play. AND provides a great intro to complex systems thinking too. J

      I agree totally with the power of spending as much time as you can in the experiential realm AND the “this will help me, not just my boss, to succeed”.

      Warm regards,

      Andrew

      --
      Andrew Rixon PhD