262Re: [ona-prac] ONA for change management: locating opinion leaders

  • Victoria G. Axelrod
    Jul 7, 2006
      Patti,

      I think you might want to parse out "opinion leader".  Do you mean the "technical wizards", folks who really have a handle on the content or the "social mavens" who get the culture and know how things work aside from the org chart.

      Depending on the particular organizations longevity of employees you will have a different picture.  In traditional opinion survey work getting the demographics clear is the key to interpreting the data from these sorts of questions.  It only takes a few "old timers" to carry org DNA.

      If your org has been through many mergers, acquisitions, has a relatively new population, has many remote locations, there may be a different take on these questions. If you are asking about culture change - "how we do work" or "credible leaders" the result will be different from technical change  such as "compliance with new regulations", "new product releases."

      So I would opt for both more specific questions and one in each category, i.e. culture/social and technical so you can vector in on the significant individuals.  I would also opt for some face to face interviews where you can test out a question, have some secondary prompt questions so you can assess what gets the best results.

      Vicki

      Victoria G. Axelrod
      Principal
      Axelrod-Becker Consulting