Re: [on3] Sound module - now SMD LEDs

  • Ken Ruble
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 22, 2013
      Howdy, this is all very helpful information. I actually watched another video by someone else that popped up after yours stopped playing that showed how to do some of this stuff. I will have to round up some 36 ga. wire and a temperature control soldering iron. Everything I have now is for soldering brass.

      Thanks partner, adios,
      Ken

      Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 1:35 AM
      Subject: Re: [on3] Sound module - now SMD LEDs

      G'Day again Ken,

      OK, you have my book on SMD LED lighting so I know where you are up to.

      The Richmond Controls chip size 0603 LEDs have 0.004" magnet wire and the enamel insulation can get scratched and cause a short.

      I use a lot of 0401, 0402 and 0603 SMD LEDs and mostly solder my own leads onto the LEDs.
      There are several videos on my YT channel showing how I solder the leads.

      Recently I have started using teflon coated 36 gauge wire from HobbyKing.
      Last year I bought 50 metres for $0.19 / Mr but I see they have increased the price but still cheap.

      I strip the teflon insulation to reveal several small metal wires and apply Carr's orange (non acid) liquid flux and tin the ends.
      The ends are trimmed to the WIDTH of the tiny solder pad on the surface mount LED.

      I hold the SMD in a pair of self locking tweezers and very quickly solder the lead onto the solder pad of the SMD LED.

      If it will help I can take another video of how I do the above using the teflon 36 gauge wire - just let me know if it will help you.

      Gary Paulino at TrainTekLLC sells warm white 0603 SMD LEDs - I gave him the source I get mine from in China - Gary is in the USA.

      Ngineering sell magnet wire and I think they also sell SMD LEDs. They also sell SMD resistors but I don't think you need these.

      I've been using SMD LEDs for over 5 years now and never had one fail.

      For DCC I use a 1500 Ohm resistor for a bright light, 2700 Ohm for loco lights, 4300 Ohm for interior lights and firebox flicker and 10000 Ohm for hand lanterns.

      If you want to obtain SMD LEDs the LEDBaron sells lots on Ebay -

      Let me know if I can be of further assistance ?

      Regards,

      Laurie