Re: Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

  • jdmckee1
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 2:00 PM
      Hi gang,

      I went battery/RC power about 16 months ago. Ive never looked back, it is the best way to run trains. I went with the Stanton system and have now added one CVP T5000 throttle also. Both are great to use. My only regret is that I cant switch all of my locos over to batteries fast enough. Right now I am working on converting one of my C-19's, it should be done very soon. Ive also been busy trying to get things done on the layout for the NNGC at the end of this month.

      When I posted to several groups last year that I had gone to batteries the typical response was "changing out batteries would be a pain in the ass". Really? It takes me all of ten seconds to switch batteries. I pop off the coal load, unplug the dead one and plug in the recharged one. How long do you spend cleaning track? Or wiring? Or hunting down shorts? I rest my case. JD.

      --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@...> wrote:

      > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
      >
      > William
      > aka drgwk37
      >
      > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
      > CC: jwlloyd@...
      > From: groverarch1@...
      > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
      > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

      > Hello there,
      > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.
      > Regards Don G

    • Jim Noel
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 4:06 PM
        The last paragraph is a very good answer to the skeptics.

        Jim

        On Thursday, August 1, 2013, jdmckee1 wrote:
        Hi gang,

        I went battery/RC power about 16 months ago. Ive never looked back, it is the best way to run trains. I went with the Stanton system and have now added one CVP T5000 throttle also. Both are great to use. My only regret is that I cant switch all of my locos over to batteries fast enough. Right now I am working on converting one of my C-19's, it should be done very soon. Ive also been busy trying to get things done on the layout for the NNGC at the end of this month.

        When I posted to several groups last year that I had gone to batteries the typical response was "changing out batteries would be a pain in the ass". Really? It takes me all of ten seconds to switch batteries. I pop off the coal load, unplug the dead one and plug in the recharged one. How long do you spend cleaning track? Or wiring? Or hunting down shorts? I rest my case. JD.

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@...> wrote:

        > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
        >
        > William
        > aka drgwk37
        >
        > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
        > CC: jwlloyd@...
        > From: groverarch1@...
        > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
        > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in  On3 MMI K-28

        >       Hello there,
        > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics.  He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd.  He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale..  I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.
        > Regards Don G

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            on3-digest@yahoogroups.com
            on3-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • brian bass
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1 4:20 PM
          JD,
          What are your thoughts on locomotive sitting in a roundhouse over night?
          Are you not charging with some tracks?
          Brian

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:03 PM, "jdmckee1" <jdmckee@...> wrote:

          Hi gang,

          I went battery/RC power about 16 months ago. Ive never looked back, it is the best way to run trains. I went with the Stanton system and have now added one CVP T5000 throttle also. Both are great to use. My only regret is that I cant switch all of my locos over to batteries fast enough. Right now I am working on converting one of my C-19's, it should be done very soon. Ive also been busy trying to get things done on the layout for the NNGC at the end of this month.

          When I posted to several groups last year that I had gone to batteries the typical response was "changing out batteries would be a pain in the ass". Really? It takes me all of ten seconds to switch batteries. I pop off the coal load, unplug the dead one and plug in the recharged one. How long do you spend cleaning track? Or wiring? Or hunting down shorts? I rest my case. JD.

          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@...> wrote:

          > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
          >
          > William
          > aka drgwk37
          >
          > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
          > CC: jwlloyd@...
          > From: groverarch1@...
          > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
          > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

          > Hello there,
          > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.
          > Regards Don G

        • jdmckee1
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1 5:48 PM
            Brian,

            Ive heard and read of several guys who want to do just that, have a track in or next to the roundhouse where you could recharge. Also, recharge at a water tower etc. The guy who did my install has been into battery power for years, he does not recommend it. Also, Pete Steinmetz does not recommend it. Pete runs the Dead Rail Society Yahoo group, devoted to battery power enthusiasts. Both these guys recommend taking the battery out of the loco and recharging in a container such as an old coffee cup. The reason being is that sometimes a battery can explode or catch on fire during the recharge. This is very rare, but Id rather have it happen in a coffee cup than in my loco. I know a bit about all this, but am no expert. If you want to know more, or find someone who can answer all your questions, check out the Dead Rail Society group. JD.

            PS, I do all my recharging in the coffee cup and have never had any problems. No fires, exploding batteries or shrapnel. The house and I are still standing.

            --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, brian bass <fishingmaine@...> wrote:

            > JD,
            > What are your thoughts on locomotive sitting in a roundhouse over night?
            > Are you not charging with some tracks?
            > Brian
            >
            > Sent from my iPhone
            >
            > On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:03 PM, "jdmckee1" <jdmckee@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hi gang,
            > >
            > > I went battery/RC power about 16 months ago. Ive never looked back, it is the best way to run trains. I went with the Stanton system and have now added one CVP T5000 throttle also. Both are great to use. My only regret is that I cant switch all of my locos over to batteries fast enough. Right now I am working on converting one of my C-19's, it should be done very soon. Ive also been busy trying to get things done on the layout for the NNGC at the end of this month.
            > >
            > > When I posted to several groups last year that I had gone to batteries the typical response was "changing out batteries would be a pain in the ass". Really? It takes me all of ten seconds to switch batteries. I pop off the coal load, unplug the dead one and plug in the recharged one. How long do you spend cleaning track? Or wiring? Or hunting down shorts? I rest my case. JD.
            > >
            > > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
            > > >
            > > > William
            > > > aka drgwk37
            > > >
            > > > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
            > > > CC: jwlloyd@
            > > > From: groverarch1@
            > > > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
            > > > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

            > > > Hello there,
            > > > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.
            > > > Regards Don G

          • Tim S
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1 5:52 PM
              You are definitely sparking my interest in this cool idea.

              Tim Schreiner

              --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "jdmckee1" <jdmckee@...> wrote:

              > Brian,
              >
              > Ive heard and read of several guys who want to do just that, have a track in or next to the roundhouse where you could recharge. Also, recharge at a water tower etc. The guy who did my install has been into battery power for years, he does not recommend it. Also, Pete Steinmetz does not recommend it. Pete runs the Dead Rail Society Yahoo group, devoted to battery power enthusiasts. Both these guys recommend taking the battery out of the loco and recharging in a container such as an old coffee cup. The reason being is that sometimes a battery can explode or catch on fire during the recharge. This is very rare, but Id rather have it happen in a coffee cup than in my loco. I know a bit about all this, but am no expert. If you want to know more, or find someone who can answer all your questions, check out the Dead Rail Society group. JD.
              >
              > PS, I do all my recharging in the coffee cup and have never had any problems. No fires, exploding batteries or shrapnel. The house and I are still standing.
              >

              > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, brian bass <fishingmaine@> wrote:
              > >
              > > JD,
              > > What are your thoughts on locomotive sitting in a roundhouse over night?
              > > Are you not charging with some tracks?
              > > Brian
              > >
              > > Sent from my iPhone
              > >
              > > On Aug 1, 2013, at 5:03 PM, "jdmckee1" <jdmckee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > > Hi gang,
              > > >
              > > > I went battery/RC power about 16 months ago. Ive never looked back, it is the best way to run trains. I went with the Stanton system and have now added one CVP T5000 throttle also. Both are great to use. My only regret is that I cant switch all of my locos over to batteries fast enough. Right now I am working on converting one of my C-19's, it should be done very soon. Ive also been busy trying to get things done on the layout for the NNGC at the end of this month.
              > > >
              > > > When I posted to several groups last year that I had gone to batteries the typical response was "changing out batteries would be a pain in the ass". Really? It takes me all of ten seconds to switch batteries. I pop off the coal load, unplug the dead one and plug in the recharged one. How long do you spend cleaning track? Or wiring? Or hunting down shorts? I rest my case. JD.

            • Ken Ruble
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1 5:58 PM
                Will this battery power produce sound like DCC?

                Ken

                href="mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, brian bass <fishingmaine@> wrote:

                > > JD,
                > > What are
                your thoughts on locomotive sitting in a roundhouse over night?
                > > Are
                you not charging with some tracks?
                > > Brian

                Sent from my iPhone

                Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

                <cbrentmetcalf@>

                Subject: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

                want to install S-cab with sound in my MMI K-28s.

                but still have power on the track (in places) for recharging.

                Thanks,

              • Masonbogie
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1 6:03 PM
                  Absolutely. The S-cab system has Tsunami boards as part of its set up. I'm using it as well and very happy. My first engine is using the charge through the rails option, but I may opt for swapping batteries in the future.
                  George Sebastian-Coleman
                  11 Taine Mountain Road
                  Unionville CT 06085

                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1 6:20 PM
                    I don't mind not charging in a RH and battery swap is even an option though I'd like some recharge tracks at water towers so I don't have to always recharge.  I would like to store locos in my CC Crow, Durango RH but if I park them in there and turn them off, there's no way to turn them back on remotely is there?  Only thing I don't want to do is remove the roof and push them out manually when it's time to run.
                    Brian

                    To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                    From: jdmckee@...
                    Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:48:53 +0000

> [...]

                    > > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
                    > > >
                    > > > William
                    > > > aka drgwk37
                    > > >
                    > > > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > CC: jwlloyd@
                    > > > From: groverarch1@
                    > > > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
                    > > > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

                    > > > Hello there,
                    > > > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.

                  • Masonbogie
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1 6:24 PM
                      If you turn them off on a dead track and then power the track (if you use track recharging) then that turns the engine back on.
                      George Sebastian-Coleman
                      11 Taine Mountain Road
                      Unionville CT 06085

                      To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jdmckee@...
                      Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:48:53 +0000

> [...]

                      > > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
                      > > >
                      > > > William
                      > > > aka drgwk37
                      > > >
                      > > > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                      > > > CC: jwlloyd@
                      > > > From: groverarch1@
                      > > > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
                      > > > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

                      > > > Hello there,
                      > > > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.

                    • brian bass
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1 6:26 PM
                        I'm sold! S-Cab it is.
                        Brian

                        To: on3@yahoogroups.com

                        From: jdmckee@...
                        Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2013 00:48:53 +0000

> [...]

                        > > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, William Reed <bigbiggarage@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm doing Airwire with the ability to swap batteries easily and using the T5000 controller going 100% dead rail.
                        > > >
                        > > > William
                        > > > aka drgwk37
                        > > >
                        > > > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                        > > > CC: jwlloyd@
                        > > > From: groverarch1@
                        > > > Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 14:08:17 -0700
                        > > > Subject: Re: [on3] Stanton Radio Cab in On3 MMI K-28

                        > > > Hello there,
                        > > > I'll pass this on to my 'guru' incharge of battery opperation and electronics. He might have an answer for youHis name is John Lloyd. He's been developing battery opp boards with remote controls specificly modified for use in O ns On3 scale and G scale.. I will let him know that you might be e-mailing him.

                      • jdmckee1
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1 9:13 PM
                          Ken,

                          Here are two short videos of my battery RC setup. I posted the one to show that you lose nothing when going to batteries. No sound, control etc. It is exactly the same as running on DCC except the power to the loco motor is now provided by the battery instead of electricity thru the rails. JD.

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNipamGMAos

                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay3A-qJZPME

                          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Ruble" <kenruble@...> wrote:

                          > Will this battery power produce sound like DCC?
                          >
                          > Ken

                        • jdmckee1
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 1 9:23 PM
                            If anyone is interested, that Stanton throttle in the video is for sale. It is an extra one that I don't need. The throttle acts like a power station, for example, like my old NCE that I plugged my throttle into. The Stanton throttle runs the loco but also has all the "brains" of the system in it. You don't have any power station etc to install.

                            Im asking $100 for it which is a steal. Id rather see it go to a good home and help grow the numbers of battery operators out there. JD.

                          • Tim S
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 1 9:27 PM
                              This is definitely the way to go. I won't give up my PFM sound though. So I will have both systems.

                              Tim Schreiner
                            • Ken Ruble
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 1 9:41 PM
                                OK, I watched both videos and also Runaway Porter. I don’t know if I would want to do this or not but as an added touch of realism, perhaps someone could put an anode and cathode in the water tank and add acid at a water tower.Open-mouthed smileOpen-mouthed smileOpen-mouthed smile  All irate or smart-ass replies welcome.

                                --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, "Ken Ruble" <kenruble@...> wrote:

                                > Will this battery power
                                produce sound like DCC?

                                > Ken