RE: [on3] PSC Climax Kit

  • JGG KahnSr
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2013
      Along with the notorious Westside Heisler (I think the story I heard is that the Japanese doubled the size
      of the HO drawings--still not an enormous locomotive, just not correct for the WSL prototype), the Max
      Gray Shay, and the Lobaugh Climax (probably equates to at least a 65T prototype).  Perhaps the K-Line
      Shay, too, although that may simply have been based on a larger two-trucker.

      I defer to you on the matter of wagon top boilers, although SNY #1 (the one now at Corry) was reportedly  25-28T,
      while #44 (from Emporium Lumber) with a straight boiler was at least 30T.  Odd that more of the O scale offerings
      have not been with straight boilers, certainly easier to manufacture.  I don't know, if I ever did, whether the one
      now at PA Rail Museum is the Mason Lumber one that used to be at Edaville or the one that was at Warehouse Point
      for many years (it seems as when they finally got it restored it almost immediately was sold).  I think the Warehouse
      Point one was the larger of them.

      And I forgot the Flying Zoo 18T in On3; I obtained the Taber/Kline/Casler set for Shozo Inoue while I was stationed
      in Japan and pointed out the drawings in one of them.  I once had one but that was during the years I was trying to
      stay out of On3 and someone offered me enough to tempt me into parting with it.  I liked it a lot, although now with
      the Bachmann it is hard to justify the prices they bring to replace it.

      Jace Kahn
      General Manager
      Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.