Re: [on3] Magnets on a SJCC Rubber Hoses!

  • George Konrad
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
      I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
      Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
      Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
      George

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
        John,

        I just glued them in place at the end of the hose. They seem to be holding fine. I have ordered some Dr Mike's ACC which works well for glueing a variety of materials. (I have just run out)

        I am not sure if the Kadee Uncoupler will hurt anything. I have cut off the Kadee bar.

        All good questions!

        Bill

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "john.droste56" <jdroste@...> wrote:

        > I am impressed also.
        > I wonder if they would be easier to attach If you stuck them to a pin head or brad punch to hold them as you glued them in place. maybe you are already doing that?
        > I would still like to know if or how magnetic uncouplers effect them?
        > Thanks, John D
        > Oz

      • Bill Lund
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
          George,

          I my hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.

          So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.

          Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.

          Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.

          The nice thing about these magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.

          You have raised good question and I would be open to other ideas as well.

          Bill Lund

          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, George Konrad <georgekonradmmr@...> wrote:

          > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
          > Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
          > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
          > George
          >

          > ________________________________

        • john.droste56
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
            Thanks Bill,
            If you sweep the floor with a larger magnet then you should find your missing micro magnets.
            I failed to consider that your Kadee bars would be removed. Still, I wonder if a magnetic uncoupler would drag the air hose down to the track or magnet. I guess that I should presume not, now.
            I think I will post a picture of how I hid my electro magnetic uncoupler.
            John D
            Oz

            --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund" <riogrande473@...> wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > I just glued them in place at the end of the hose. They seem to be holding fine. I have ordered some Dr Mike's ACC which works well for glueing a variety of materials. (I have just run out)
            >
            > I am not sure if the Kadee Uncoupler will hurt anything. I have cut off the Kadee bar.
            >
            > All good questions!
            >
            > Bill
            >

            > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "john.droste56" <jdroste@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I am impressed also.
            > > I wonder if they would be easier to attach If you stuck them to a pin head or brad punch to hold them as you glued them in place. maybe you are already doing that?
            > > I would still like to know if or how magnetic uncouplers effect them?
            > > Thanks, John D
            > > Oz

          • Bill Lund
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
              George,

              Graphite is the cure! The magnet slide off each other with bit graphite. I just rubbed some on the surface. The boxcars don't move at all.

              FYI

              Bill

              --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund" <riogrande473@...> wrote:

              > George,
              >
              > I my hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.
              >
              > So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.
              >
              > Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.
              >
              > Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.
              >
              > The nice thing about these magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.
              >
              > You have raised good question and I would be open to other ideas as well.
              >
              > Bill Lund
              >

              > --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, George Konrad <georgekonradmmr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
              > > Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
              > > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
              > > George
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • James Barnes
              Message 6 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
                He all, I just ordered 100 of the smaller magnets, will put em on test cars as soon as i get them. They may also be the soltion to my auto unloading mine cars? will know soon enough. Jim

                No Trees, Flowers or Animals were injured in the production of this message. However, Quite a few electrons were agitated or other wise disturbed. ;-)~

                And , Don't Forget to Wag Your Tail !

                --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund" wrote:

                > George,
                >
                > I my hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.
                >
                > So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.
                >
                > Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.
                >
                > Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.
                >
                > The nice thing about these magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.
                >
                > You have raised good question and I would be open to other ideas as well.
                >
                > Bill Lund
                >

                > --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
                > > Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
                > > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
                > > George
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • rjensen463
                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 1, 2013
                  There have been several "how to" postings with photos and explanations of working glad hands using the neodymium magnets along with a flexible plastic tubing for the actual hose over on the Proto48 group here:

                  I believe you will have to join to access all the pertinent files that I have linked to here:

                  Ben Brown's Mag Hoses...revisited.pdf

                  Magnetic Air Hoses

                  And as described in a posting here:

                  These folks sell the neodymium magnets and also have several different pull force versions of the magnets available.

                  http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10

                  Here is a link to the hose material that is typically used for fly fishing lures:

                  http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/p-537-larva-lace-body-material.aspx

                  Rod
                • George Konrad
                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                    Bill,
                       Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                    Many thanks,
                    George

                    Graphite is the cure! The magnet slide off each other with bit graphite. I just rubbed some on the surface. The boxcars don't move at all.

                    FYI

                    Bill

                    --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund" wrote:

                    > George,
                    >
                    > I my hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.
                    >
                    > So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.
                    >
                    > Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.
                    >
                    > Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.
                    >
                    > The nice thing about these magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.
                    >
                    > You have raised good question and I would be open to other ideas as well.
                    >
                    > Bill Lund
                    >

                    > --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
                    > > Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
                    > > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
                    > > George
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • jdmckee1
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                      If I had known there was such a big interest in these magnets I would have posted a link a long time ago. I buy the smallest magnets from Supermagnet and attach them to the bottom of scale flies that I make. I then stick these flies all over my stock cars. I have to make them removable and change their positions on the cars due to nitpickers. They can always spot a fly that was in the same spot on a certain car....its amazing. JD.

                    • Randy
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                        Wait . . . I thought those flies in your garage were real!

                        Are they battery-powered as well?

                        Randy--Stuck inside Palm Desert with the On3 blues again--Scott

                        On3 in Orange, CA

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                        > Bill,
                        >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                        > Many thanks,
                        > George
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • Randy
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                          Hi George,

                          They sure are!

                          You can get them in a hard engineering plastic or a soft rubber . . . or at least they used to offer the two materials.

                          Randy Scott
                          On3 in Orange, CA

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Mar 2, 2013, at 8:46 AM, George Konrad <georgekonradmmr@...> wrote:

                          Bill,
                             Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                          Many thanks,
                          George

                          Graphite is the cure! The magnet slide off each other with bit graphite. I just rubbed some on the surface. The boxcars don't move at all.

                          FYI

                          Bill

                          --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund" wrote:

                          > George,
                          >
                          > I my hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.
                          >
                          > So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.
                          >
                          > Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.
                          >
                          > Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.
                          >
                          > The nice thing about these magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.
                          >
                          > You have raised good question and I would be open to other ideas as well.
                          >
                          > Bill Lund
                          >

                          > --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hoses apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
                          > > Also, starting the loco quickly would aid separation, but I run  my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is no quick jerk available to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
                          > > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
                          > > George
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________

                        • Ken Ruble
                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                            Wow! and scale refrigerator magnets too. Don’t forger like poles repel. One end will have to be north and the other south and never turn a car around.

                            href="http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?products_id=138">http://www.supermagnetman.net/product_info.php?products_id=138

                            href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298gXlE_8js">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=298gXlE_8js

                            > > > It appears I will need to set a
                            standard for the magnets IE North pole on the engine side.

                            > > > The really neat thing you don't see in the video is how they
                            look rolling down the track, around curves bouncing along. How they move between the cars is absolutely terrific!

                            Bill

                          • William Uffelman
                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                              http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440 says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                              Bill Uffelman

                              --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                              > Bill,
                              >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                              > Many thanks,
                              > George
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Ken Ruble
                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                I guess I didn’t see that. Interesting.

                                Ken

                                Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:38 AM
                                Subject: Re: [on3] Re: Magnets on a SJCC Rubber Hoses!

                                http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440 says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                                Bill Uffelman

                                --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                                > Bill,
                                >    Many thanks
                                for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                                > Many
                                thanks,

                                ________________________________
                                href="http://us.mc1210.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=on3%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com
                                > Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 6:55 PM
                                > Subject: [on3] Re:
                                Magnets on a SJCC Rubber Hoses!

                                > George,
                                >
                                > Graphite is the cure! The magnet slide
                                off each other with bit graphite. I just rubbed some on the surface. The boxcars don't move at all.

                                > FYI

                                Bill

                                > --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, "Bill Lund"
                                wrote:

                                > > George,
                                > >
                                > > I my
                                hurry to test this out last night. I did not try uncoupling one car. I have posted here before the "wonders" of Nano-Oil. All my cars have Nano-Oil in the journal and they are all free rolling cars.

                                > > So, I tried to uncouple one boxcar and the magnets in-fact
                                pulled the boxcar around by the rubber hose and did not release.

                                > > Knowing magnets have the greatest strength when they
                                are touching each other, I have added a small amount of glue to the end of each magnet and painted them. This has helped some but is still an issue.

                                > > Looking back to Magic Magnet man magnet
                                webisite, they sell two other smaller magnets. It might be worth trying a smaller magnet.

                                > > The nice thing about these
                                magnets they seem to attract at a distance which is needed for coupling on a curve.

                                > > You have raised good question and I
                                would be open to other ideas as well.

                                > > Bill
                                Lund

                                > > --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > I have a question: If these magnets are applied to cars that are quite free-rolling, are the coupled air hosesÃÂ apt to drag the car along after the car is mechanically uncoupled? I have a bunch of cars that free-roll much more readiy than my San Juan cars, and I wonder if they would just trundle along, pulled by the attached air hoses. Of course I am thinking of uncoupling one car, and I expect that if a string of cars were coupled to the other end of a car, that would produce enough drag to separate the hoses. But one-by-one................?
                                > > > Also, starting the loco quickly wouldàaid separation, but I runà my trains almost "painfully" slowly so there is noàquickàjerkàavailable to cause an easy separation. Unless one considers the "jerk" at the throttle. Ha! Thought I would say this before one of you does.................!
                                > > > Many thanks, and thanks for sharing,
                                > > > George
                                > > >

                                > > > ________________________________

                              • James Barnes
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                  George, If your looking for "rubber air hoses" , you have to do a search, in the upper right corner, for " air hoses, rubber" w/o using the Quotes, but using the comma). easier to find that way. Jim

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                    Interesting they advertise as being the first--I've seen this done with 1.20.3 scale for years.

                                    William
                                    aka drgwk37

                                    To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: kenruble@...
                                    Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:58:57 -0800

                                    Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:38 AM

                                    http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440 says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                                    Bill Uffelman

                                    --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                                    > Bill,
                                    >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                                    > Many thanks,
                                    > George
                                    >

                                    > ________________________________

                                  • William Uffelman
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013

                                      First to commercialise in HO & N maybe.

                                      Bill Uffelman

                                      To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                                      From: kenruble@...
                                      Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:58:57 -0800

                                      Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:38 AM

                                      http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440 says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                                      Bill Uffelman

                                      --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                                      > Bill,
                                      >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                                      > Many thanks,
                                      > George
                                      >

                                      > ________________________________

                                    • Masonbogie
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                        If the magnet had both faces available it could just attach to the face with the opposite pole on the other car.
                                        George Sebastian-Coleman
                                        11 Taine Mountain Road
                                        Unionville CT 06085

                                        To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                                        From: kenruble@...
                                        Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 10:58:57 -0800

                                        Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2013 10:38 AM

                                        http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440 says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                                        Bill Uffelman

                                        --- In mailto:on3%40yahoogroups.com, George Konrad wrote:

                                        > Bill,
                                        >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                                        > Many thanks,
                                        > George
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • jdmckee1
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                          I just watched the video on the Magna brake line website and I gotta say that is pretty impressive stuff. We need to inundate these guys with emails for On3 size products. Id like to see how O scale size brake lines look in action, Im sure they will look nice. OK everybody email these guys!!! JD.

                                          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, Masonbogie <masonbogie@...> wrote:

                                          > If the magnet had both faces available it could just attach to the face with the opposite pole on the other car.
                                          > George Sebastian-Coleman
                                          > 11 Taine Mountain Road
                                          > Unionville CT 06085
                                          >

                                          > On Mar 2, 2013, at 3:00 PM, William Uffelman wrote:
                                          >

                                          > > First to commercialise in HO & N maybe.
                                          > >
                                          > > Bill Uffelman

                                        • Bill Lund
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                            Hi George,

                                            The SJCC rubber hoses come in packages of 4 pairs or 8 hoses. I have some Dr Mike's ACC coming to glue the magnets to the hoses. I have had some reasonable luck using Dr Mike's on rubber.

                                            This has become an interesting post for sure!

                                            Bill

                                          • Bill Lund
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013
                                              Hi George,

                                              The SJCC rubber hoses come in packages of 4 pairs or 8 hoses. I have some Dr Mike's ACC coming to glue the magnets to the hoses. I have had some reasonable luck using Dr Mike's on rubber.

                                              This has become an interesting post for sure!

                                              Bill

                                              --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, George Konrad <georgekonradmmr@...> wrote:

                                              > Bill,
                                              >    Many thanks for sorting this out! A nice easy, and simple cure to apply. I have another question: Are San Juan air hose assemblies available separately? I have about two dozen cars that would need them.
                                              > Many thanks,
                                              > George
                                              >

                                              > ________________________________

                                            • James Christensen
                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 2, 2013

                                                PSC has rubber hoses available in signal and air size. I forgot the part number.

                                                Jim

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 3, 2013
                                                  Bill, and all,
                                                    Yes, an interesting post for sure! First, let me thank all the respondents for all the great info. Then secondly, when you think about the fact of these air hoses coupling and uncoupling, it adds a great "action element" to the usually mundane coupling/uncoupling task. Add to that, it is not a great issue to make this happen for your cars. You only need the magnets, rubber hoses, Dr. Mike's ACC, a bit of graphite and you are done. Hey, that was easy, and you don't even need that Staples button!

                                                • John P.H. Morgan
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Mar 4, 2013
                                                    At 01:38 PM 2013-03-02, Bill Uffelman wrote:

                                                    ><http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440>http://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=7440
                                                    >says the cars are reversible so they are doing something different.

                                                    Everything I've seen on this subject so far on this subject talks
                                                    about using axially magnetized disc magnets (magnetized through the
                                                    thickness of the disc) mounted on the ends of the air hoses or on the
                                                    coupling face of the gladhand. If the magnet itself is used to
                                                    represent the gladhand and the magnet is glued onto the air hose on
                                                    its thickness rather than its face, I see no problem in the hoses
                                                    coupling. The magnets should simply find their opposite pole faces
                                                    and hook up.

                                                    The weakness I see is where the disc magnets are glued in the face of
                                                    a scale glad hand with one flat side of the disc facing out. Each
                                                    gladhand is therefore either right or left "handed" depending on
                                                    which magnetic pole faces outwards. Right and left handed gladhands
                                                    mating should couple readily on their faces, however two gladhands of
                                                    the same "hand" would repel each other, couple back to back, or
                                                    perhaps airhose to gladhand depending on the direction of the attraction..

                                                    The solution would be to use diametrically magnetized magnets.
                                                    (magnetized across the face of the disc) If the magnets are mounted
                                                    on the gladhand so that the poles are aligned along the gladhand (ie
                                                    one pole is nearest the air hose and the other is nearest the end of
                                                    the gladhand and the same pole is always placed nearest the air hose
                                                    the gladhands would not have a "hand" and should always couple on
                                                    their faces. (This is the system I think that PWRS may be using)

                                                    Unfortunately I don't think that it is possible to purchase
                                                    diametrically magnetized discs any smaller than 3mm, which would be
                                                    too big for our purposes. However cube magnets are available down to
                                                    1mm square and could be mounted in a small hole drilled in the face
                                                    of the gladhand, although it would be ultra-finicky work to ensure
                                                    that the proper pole is always facing the same direction on each
                                                    installation..

                                                    John (VA3EBT, VE3JE) & Barb Morgan
                                                    Canadian Contingent, FEBT Rockhill Restoration Crew
                                                    Help us make Saltillo Station the last loss to the EBT!
                                                    www.febt.org