Tefft

  • dpattonredmesa@aim.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013

      I'm modelling the D&RGW in On3 from Durango to Silverton.  I've got the plans for both of those locations down, thanks to all the books, photos and Sanborn maps. In between, I plan to model sections of the track along the Animas, and the one I'm most interested in representing is Tefft.

      I understand from a variety of sources there was a sawmill located there, and have photos of the boiler, engine, and remnants of two passenger cars.  Osterwald's books says in addition to the sawmill, at one time, a little to the south, there was a mine - the Silver Star.  A half mile north of the sawmill was a stock pen and section house, and farther northward was another mine, the Bitter Root.

      I haven't been able to locate any photos of these mines, the stock pen, section house or even the sawmill.  Which side of the sawmill faced the track?  Can the group point me in the direction(s) of where I can get a look at some of these?

      Thanks,   Dick Patton
    • sport474
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2013
        > I haven't been able to locate any photos of these mines, the stock pen, section house or even the sawmill. Which side of the sawmill faced the track? Can the group point me in the direction(s) of where I can get a look at some of these?
        >
        > Thanks, Dick Patton

        Dick:

        I have over 500 photos of the Silverton branch, but none of the facilities at Teft. The Colorado RR Museum has ICC valuation maps that show the location of structures, etc.

        Jerry Day
      • dpattonredmesa@aim.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2013
          Jerry,

          I've run into the same problem re lack of photos/information.  Tried the Denver Public Library site, assorted websites, ebay, all the books, but no pictures.  Thanks for the ICC Valuation Map suggestion re structures.  I'm in the final stages of planning the track and scenery and needed to know how to lay them out.

                        Dick