Grandt Porter mess up

  • quincy_rail
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 4:22 AM
      I am trying to solve a problem of my own making with my 18t Porter.

      After fixing a hitch in the side rods (it now runs smooth as silk) I over squeezed the drivers on the axles and the check gauge is to tight. Can anyone tell me how to loosen or remove the drivers from the axles so that I can re-gauge them?

      There is not enough room to get a puller between the wheels and the frame and the frame appears way to fragile to pry against. I would appreciate any ideas.

      John Adams
    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 4:31 AM
        Allow me to ask a basic question........

        Can you remove the driver set from the model ???

        Mike Bauers

        On Aug 1, 2012, at 6:22 AM, quincy_rail wrote:

        > I am trying to solve a problem of my own making with my 18t Porter.
        >
        > After fixing a hitch in the side rods (it now runs smooth as silk) I over squeezed the drivers on the axles and the check gauge is to tight. Can anyone tell me how to loosen or remove the drivers from the axles so that I can re-gauge them?
        >
        > There is not enough room to get a puller between the wheels and the frame and the frame appears way to fragile to pry against. I would appreciate any ideas.
        >
        > John Adams
      • quincy_rail
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1 5:35 AM
          Mike;

          The frame assembly of the Porter would require removing a cast on lower bearing cap. The axles, bearing and then the wheels are inserted into the frame and then pressed on. I have thought of this but hoped to avoid cutting into the frame and possibly weakening it.

          John Adams

          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:

          > Allow me to ask a basic question........
          >
          > Can you remove the driver set from the model ???
          >
          > Mike Bauers
        • Masonbogie
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 5:43 AM
            You could cut an axle width slot in a piece of sheet meta (steel if possible)l that's as heavy as will slide between wheel and frame. clamp the metal in a vise and tap gently on the axle. Probably best to cut the metal to support both wheels. Also probably a job where a third hand to gently support the loco would be handy.
            George Sebastian-Coleman
            11 Taine Mountain Road
            Unionville CT 06085

            On Aug 1, 2012, at 8:35 AM, quincy_rail wrote:

            Mike;

            The frame assembly of the Porter would require removing a cast on lower bearing cap. The axles, bearing and then the wheels are inserted into the frame and then pressed on. I have thought of this but hoped to avoid cutting into the frame and possibly weakening it.

            John Adams

            --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...> wrote:

            > Allow me to ask a basic question........
            >
            > Can you remove the driver set from the model ???
            >
            > Mike Bauers

          • John Rogers
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 6:41 AM
              I made a puller for exactly this issue with my On2 locos. Contact me    at 215-527-5447 in the evening to discuss it if interested. John Rogers

              Sent from my iPhone