Re: [on3] Sumpter Valley Cabooses

  • Jim Noel
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 20, 2012
    When we rode the WP&Y 5 or 6 years ago we were pulled by steam. The engineer crossed a trestle, stopped to let us off, backed down out of sight and then did a run by with billowing clouds of steam and smoke. He repeated this one more time. I have attached a small image of the run by.
    The tracks do come down very close to the ferry dock. It is worth a trip to Alaska just to ride this train on its beautiful run.
    Jim

    On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Tim Mulina - BHI <bhipubs@...> wrote:

    Rick,

    I know they have 1 or 2 steam locos up there more for fun than daily operations but the majority of all ops are diesel powered. I read somewhere with as many cruise ships that dock there during the summer each day that they extended the tracks right down the wharf to pick up tourists.

    Even so they still have a lot of varnish from lower 48 roads running up there behind the shovelnose 90 class GE’s and the more modern Alco’s.

    If you really want to dig more into the White Pass, the best site I have seen is run by the White Pass list owner: Boerries Burkhart

    http://www.whitepassfan.net/ others that are good but not quite as encompassing at in his Links section.

    have fun,

    Tim

    Message 2 of 9 , Mar 20, 2012

      Jim,

      Great pic. It almost looks like one of the Leanin Tree cards from years ago.

      Tim

      Tim, Did White Pass get rid of all steam?

      Rick shoup

      One of those situations where I believe I once knew but can no longer be certain:

      I think at least one of them went to the WP&Y during WWII, along with some of the

      2-8-2's, and I THINK one of them is now the property of the restoration project in

      Oregon.

      If memory serves, PFM imported brass models in HOn3 (to go with the Mallets) and

      Beaver Creek did them in On3.

      Jace Kahn
      General Manager
      Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

      > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
      > From: leetown@...
      > Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 17:53:52 -0400
      > Subject: [on3] Sumptner Valley Cabooses
      >
      > Cabeese??
      > Did the cabooses go elsewhere or were they scraped??
      >
      > Lee

    • Jim Noel
      Message 3 of 9 , Mar 20, 2012
        Thanks. The colors there  are so intense it is impossible to not have it look like a postcard, or calendar image.
        JIm