Re: [on3] Re: Battery Power Is Here!!!

  • rropsplst@juno.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
      JD,

      How long is a battery charge good for?

      Did have to install a different motor in the locomotive?

      Dave Bucher
      Downingtown, PA

      60-Year-Old Mom Looks 27
      Mom Reveals Free Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e86ff0f3b840a2556est01duc
    • jdmckee1
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
        Dave,

        I thought Mike Pfulb told me that this particular battery is good for an hour. He gave me two of them, so kind of like your battery powered drill, you have a spare all charged up and ready to switch out. He also told me he was going to give me different batteries, so he may have been out of the ones he wanted to install. I initially met him last may at the Big Train show and he spent about 2 hours showing me all the products. He had 2-3 different batteries at the show, and I remember one of them was good for 5 hours of run time.

        This particular battery, when it gets low the loco sounds start to slow down so you can tell it needs changed out. He has others that have a blue indicator light when they get low. You DO NOT have to change the motor in your loco. All you are buying is a throttle, RC board, battery and battery charger. Stanton is now represented by NWSL and they have a page describing the whole setup plus photos. Here is the link: http://www.nwsl.com/cab

        Mike Pfulb is one of the listed certified installers for Stanton/NWSL. He also shows up at Steve Harris' monthly operating sessions. On that link I just gave you, there are photos of an HOn3 Blackstone loco that Justin is putting this setup into. He also attends Steve's sessions, so this is where I first met these guys and got hooked on the battery thing. When Mike installed my battery system, he cleaned up all the nasty soldering job that I had done. He moved the Tsunami from the boiler to the tender. He then installed a small circuit board in the boiler, and attached small pin connectors to all my headlight and marker light wires. These now plug into the board. There is just one 5 pin connector from the tender to the loco. He does outstanding work. Hope this helps, JD.

        --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "rropsplst@..." <rropsplst@...> wrote:

        > JD,
        >
        > How long is a battery charge good for?
        >
        > Did have to install a different motor in the locomotive?
        >
        > Dave Bucher
        > Downingtown, PA

        > 60-Year-Old Mom Looks 27
        > Mom Reveals Free Wrinkle Trick That Has Angered Doctors!
        > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4e86ff0f3b840a2556est01duc

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
          JD what does this guy charge for the install? Also you mentioned you and Randy had troubles with dirty track, do you guys have metal wheels or plastic on your rolling stock? Miles Hale showed us the Stanton throttle at our recent local narrow gauge meeting and it's the same system but he had a battery that would last 3 hours. It was mentioned that you can recharge it on the tracks which sounds a lot better then changing out the battery and having to handle to loco so much to change the batteries out.
        • jdmckee1
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
            Hey Steve,

            It was $100 for the install. That included changing the Tsunami from the boiler to the tender. He also redid all the wiring for my lights, and changed them over to pin connections which then plug into a small circuit board he put in the boiler. That also includes wiring the RC board to the Tsunami, which is something I dont think Im nearly qualified for. One small mistake and there goes a $100+ decoder. There is just one 5 pin connector that connects the tender to the loco.

            As far as batteries, there are several. Mike mentioned that he is going to give me different batteries, Im assuming he was out of the ones he wanted to install. Last May he showed me at least 3 kinds and I know he said one of them lasted up to 5 hours on a single charge. My initial cost was higher on this install because I had to get a throttle, charger etc. I am buying a whole new control system. My next installs will be much less. And I plan on offsetting my initial cost by selling my NCE system, throttle, my switch-its that were controlling my turnouts, my polarity reversing unit off my wye etc. I dont need any electronics anymore. JD.

            ---
          • Kjb80401@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 1, 2011
              JD,

                Electronics do have their place, don't dismiss them all.  LED's are doing what incandescents did in the past.  The variations are now endless.  (I exploded a AA battery one time when demonstrating what I had enhanced a plastic building with, 5-volt incandescents)  Electroluminesent signs advertising businesses.  Dual mode decoders with sound to run on my DC-powered layout, that's neat.
                Progress for model railroading applications is great, but now you have to pick and choose what works for you, Rule #1 applies.
                For me, DC is my layout power-of-choice as I've accumulated over 400 locomotives utilizing that kind of power source.  Do the math, converting to DCC is not acceptable in my budgetary planning.

              Keevan