Re: ?? DRGW passenger car - paintjob

  • kcookk
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
      I believe PSC uses Automotive Paint for their brass models. They mix it so they are not using Scalecoat or Floquil.

      I would recommend Scalecoat. It gives a nice semi-gloss finish. If you can set your oven for warm and "Bake" the paint for 45 minutes, when it cools, it is ready for masking and painting over...

      Take your existing model into a hobby store that sells Scalecoat and match it to the color swatches...

      Yes the roof and underframe are black. Trucks are black. Clestories can be black or green. I've seen end platforms black or green. Find photos from the era you are modeling.

      Kevin

      --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, "tom3ftng" <tom3ftng@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > just a short question before most of you are leaving for the convention:
      >
      > I have got an unpainted brass DRGW passengers car in On3.
      >
      > A friend of mine will do the paint job for me and afterwards the cars should match the green of the PSC On3-models, but now we are not shure about the colour.
      >
      > Which colour or (mixing) matches the PSC factory painted green coaches?
      >
      > Is the whole frame and underbody black?
      >
      > And which decals/lettering can you recommend?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help!
      >
      > Tom

    • Warren E. Griffith II
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
        I have great On3 D&RGW passenger car decals in  gold.  They are specifically for red or green passenger and mail/baggage cars.  Contact me directly if interested.

        Warren Griffith
        San Juan Decals
        www.sanjuancarco.com/sanjuandecals

        On Aug 31, 2010, at 2:55 PM, tom3ftng wrote:

        Hi,

        just a short question before most of you are leaving for the convention:

        I have got an unpainted brass DRGW passengers car in On3.

        A friend of mine will do the paint job for me and afterwards the cars should match the green of the PSC On3-models, but now we are not shure about the colour.

        Which colour or (mixing) matches the PSC factory painted green coaches?

        Is the whole frame and underbody black?

        And which decals/lettering can you recommend?

        Thanks in advance for your help!

        Tom

      • Don
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
          The trucks were actually Green. I know the Colo RR museum wrestled with this during the restoration of 284. I know that the gentleman that did the work had VERY good photographic evidence that clearly showed green trucks. That being said, I think PSC painted theirs black. It's your railroad.

          Don

        • glenn476@4fast.net
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 3, 2010
            As a safety measure when baking paint, I pre-heat the oven and turn it off
            before before putting a brass model in Also set a timer as a reminder that
            you have a model in the oven ...--particularly important if anyone else
            might be in the house, or come in.

            I got a fairly good match with a PSC car with Floquil Pullman Green.

            Glenn Joesten (who re-kitted an O Scale caboose!)
            From: "kcookk" <krjcook@...>

            Subject: [on3] Re: ?? DRGW passenger car - paintjob
          • brian bass
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 8, 2010
              Any On3 Convention news to share?
              MMI, AMS C-16s, San Juan flats, or anything else exciting for those of us that couldn't go?
              Brian

            • gkfarley@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 8, 2010

                Brian,

                      As an On3 guy, I can't say there was much new.  However, San Juan is testing the waters about issuing sets of D&RGW Maintenance Equipment including things like kitchen and bunk cars and others things in both gray and red.  They have kind of an interesting approach, the concept is on a subscription basis, you would buy sets of four built up cars, about two sets a year.   But John Parker tells me there's still a lot to sort out.   Again, they are testing the waters on this, translation...there are no guarantees this will happen or how it will happen if it does.  But they had several 4000 series scratchbuilt cars on their display in various work car configurations. They report they're getting lots of interest and soon ran out of the brochures promoting the idea.   You might want to contact them directly and give them input on the idea.

                    A structure company in Nevada has a 1/4" scale bottle house kit based on the scratchbuilt one in the Gazette a few years ago.  I plan to order one.  I can post his contact information when I get it back in hand.

                    Can't say I paid much attention to AMS.  Ragg's didn't have anything new as he and Lori were on their big hike in Colorado all summer, but clearly more stuff will be funneled into the pipeline now that they're back.

                     I'm sure there's other stuff that I missed, so I hope others chime in.  Overall vendors say it was a good show for them sales-wise, but with the economy in its current state it doesn't seem theres a lot of new investment in new tooling.   But it was a very good show and convention.

                Glenn

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 9, 2010
                    Does anyone have one of San Juan Car Co's brochures on their potential MOW Box Cars from the NG Convention they could scan into the files section?
                    Thanks,
                    Brian

                    To: on3@yahoogroups.com

                  • Kjb80401@aol.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                        Did anyone get a look at the AMS C-16s at the convention?   They were there. Thoughts?
                        Brian

                        To: on3@yahoogroups.com

                        MMI, AMS C-16s, San Juan flats, or anything else exciting for those of us that couldn't go?
                        Brian

                      • wtmiv
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                          I wasn't at the convention, but I am surprised that I have seen no reports or pictures posted on it-- particularly any information on coming products. Have I missed something?
                          Bill M.

                          --- In on3@yahoogroups.com, brian bass <fishingmaine@...> wrote:

                          > Did anyone get a look at the AMS C-16s at the convention? They were there. Thoughts?Brian
                          >
                          > To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                          > From: gkfarley@...
                          > Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 17:29:29 +0000
                          > Subject: Re: [on3] On3 News?

                        • doug ramos
                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                            Hi Guys, I did see the Ams C-16's and to me they look fine,however I'm not a rivet counter. Overall they look pretty good. I heard they did make some refinements to the ashpan etc. I'm sure people will be happy with them and those that aren't will not buy them or modify them. Doug.

                            To: on3@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                              There are two photos under On3/On30 that are the first two pilot models.  268 Bee's pilot is being built now.  The photos are of On3 models, not 1:20.3.  Go to AMS on the www.accucraft.com website.  The RGS one looks pretty cool, though the details aren't quite right.
                              Brian

                              To: on3@yahoogroups.com
                              From: kb466@...
                              Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 19:28:01 +0000
                              Subject: [on3] Re: AMS C-16s at the convention.

                            • eabracher@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 10, 2010
                                They will be doing 4000 series box work cars.

                                eric
                              • brian bass
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 13, 2010
                                  Check out the San Juan website.  Finally, new NARROW FRAME TANKS are on the coming list!!!
                                  Also, they've posted info about the very cool, 04000 work box series they're hoping to do.  They need interest counts to equal 300 to support these RTR only cars.  They are doing them in On30 too so hopefully that helps boost the numbers high enough.  These will be and awesome addition to On3.  If MMI will kick out some C-16s, C-21s etc, it will be a great next couple years for On3 DRGW.
                                  Let'em know if you're interested, I am.
                                  Brian